Ultimate X-Men #76 Discussion *spoilers*

Did not see that! Kirkman made a boo-boo!

Also, when Kitty said she didnt want to fight--she said when she first joined that she WANTED to go out on missions, even sneaking on one with Cykes and Wolverine, and giving herself a codename.
But I wouldnt be surprised if Kitty leaves and ends up at Frosts's school, with then Doug coming to Xaviers.
4/5
Funny, I am new to this series, but even I picked that up as out of character for her. Even in USM, it's all she can talk about. She LIKES fighting with Peter. I am actually more worried about Kitty packing it up to move to USM.

NOOO!

I don't want Kitty being solely penned by Bendis...IN A SPIDER-MAN BOOK!

Candy Man? You mean Sugerman? Four arms, long tounge, changes sizes, was a boss fight in X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse.

Funny, I am new to this series, but even I picked that up as out of character for her. Even in USM, it's all she can talk about. She LIKES fighting with Peter. I am actually more worried about Kitty packing it up to move to USM.

I'm worried about that too. I hope she doesn't become a regular in USM, but to either stay with the X-Men or defect to Emma's Academy.

BTW, talking about The Frost and her kids, do you think that transfer she told Cannonball, Sunspot and Havok in issue 75 could be to the Xavier Institute? I like the sound of it.

What I don't like, is the idea of having Kitty on the Academy, because then she would be forgotten about and never spoke about 3 issues after her departure (Angel, anyone?).

(Somewhat spoiler-ish stuff here) I dig the idea of the transfer of the Academy kids (specially if they added Jean-Paul to the bunch... but that's just me wanting some development for the Piotr/JP and Piotr/Kurt sub-plots, so, feel free to kill me if you want to), but I don't dig the fact that Kirkman's killing someone at the end. Why does he have to kill anyone anyway? *sigh*

NOOO!

I don't want Kitty being solely penned by Bendis...IN A SPIDER-MAN BOOK!

I actually like the way Bendis writes Kitty. To be honest, given the nature of USM, she would see more character development there than in UXM.

Doubtful. And Kirkman totally messed up on that one. Kitty wanted to fight as soon as she hooked up with the X-Men and likes going out with Spider-Man because it's "dangerous".

True, but recently she seems to have become frustrated by the whole fight thing. At the end of the Deadpool arc she was more interested in going out with Peter as a regular couple than on doing the team-up thing. Also her "being grounded" to the mansion (start of the clone saga) seems to be ticking her off.
Kirkman might have been stretching, but it was a small stretch.

Doubtful. And Kirkman totally messed up on that one. Kitty wanted to fight as soon as she hooked up with the X-Men and likes going out with Spider-Man because it's "dangerous".

That was before she's been only inches away from death... and to a degree im sure she thought herself to be invulnerable... but now she's met yet another person who can kill her, and I think there's a point a 16-17 year old girl realizes that she doesn't want to die before adulthood.

Her wanting to quit -is- character development, not bad writing.

That was before she's been only inches away from death... and to a degree im sure she thought herself to be invulnerable... but now she's met yet another person who can kill her, and I think there's a point a 16-17 year old girl realizes that she doesn't want to die before adulthood.

Her wanting to quit -is- character development, not bad writing.
The point (at least the one Im making, maybe MWF just said it wrong) is that she's talking like she never wanted to do missions or anything, not that she suddenly wants to stop. She's talking as if she really only wanted to control her powers, when that simply isn't true.

Last edited:
The point (at least the one Im making, maybe MWF just said it wrong) is that she's talking like she never wanted to do missions or anything, not that she suddenly wants to stop. She's talking as if she really only wanted to control her powers, when that simply isn't true.

Mental suggestion, perhaps?

Honestly, I'm just taken back by the wording of it. If I remember it was "I never expected..." which is just false. If he layed it out differently, then it wouldn't come off as out of character.

She was in surgery, maybe she thought it would be all "X-men always wins" But she sees that now, she almost got killed. I agree with DSF in this one.

Awesome issue. 4.5/5

Honestly, I'm just taken back by the wording of it. If I remember it was "I never expected..." which is just false. If he layed it out differently, then it wouldn't come off as out of character.

How old is she, like 16? Shes a teenager, shes allowed to change her mind and pretend it was always like that.

Although Kirkman could have handled it better, this is just nitpicking.

She was in surgery, maybe she thought it would be all "X-men always wins" But she sees that now, she almost got killed. I agree with DSF in this one.

Awesome issue. 4.5/5
You're missing the point.

Someone in her position, I wouldn't blame about leaving the team. The point is that she acts like she only came to the mansion to ONLY control her powers. FASLE. When she was brought, remember how she wanted to go on missions, sneaking on the mission with Cykes and Logan, and wanting to be Spider-Man's "partner-in-crime". That doesn't sound like someone who just wnated to control her powers, which is what Kirkman wrote her as in this issue.

The fact that she wants to leave because of what happens has nothing to do with the point I was making.

You're missing the point.

Someone in her position, I wouldn't blame about leaving the team. The point is that she acts like she only came to the mansion to ONLY control her powers. FASLE. When she was brought, remember how she wanted to go on missions, sneaking on the mission with Cykes and Logan, and wanting to be Spider-Man's "partner-in-crime". That doesn't sound like someone who just wnated to control her powers, which is what Kirkman wrote her as in this issue.

The fact that she wants to leave because of what happens has nothing to do with the point I was making.

I understand, but she is just a kid, the trauma of almost being killed could have made her realise its not just a game. He wrote her post-surgery, she is scared, maybe she will change her mind. The way she's talking, maybe she just want to make a point to Storm...you know, twist the truth a little so someone don't go all "Hey, you wanted to do this you *****!"

I understand, but she is just a kid, the trauma of almost being killed could have made her realise its not just a game. He wrote her post-surgery, she is scared, maybe she will change her mind. The way she's talking, maybe she just want to make a point to Storm...you know, twist the truth a little so someone don't go all "Hey, you wanted to do this you *****!"
See, you're not getting this.

All I'm saying is that Kirkman made a mistake. I don't know how you don't understand. You say you do, but then you keep going and it seems like you don't. All I'm talking about is one line of a sentence that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what happened to her.

See, you're not getting this.

All I'm saying is that Kirkman made a mistake. I don't know how you don't understand. You say you do, but then you keep going and it seems like you don't. All I'm talking about is one line of a sentence that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what happened to her.

How can she say something that has nothing to do with what happened? She almost died! I understand what you said, She wanted all the adventure and stuff, but there she was saying she came to the school just to control her powers, not to fight crazy dudes. Typical child when wants to do something and then get their *** kicked.

How can she say something that has nothing to do with what happened? She almost died!
Yes! But that has nothing to do with the fact that Kirkman made a mistake. She didn't come to the school to only control her powers. That's what her MOTHER wanted. She wanted to go on missions and be all superhero.

I understand what you said, She wanted all the adventure and stuff, but there she was saying she came to the school just to control her powers, not to fight crazy dudes.
Exactly! That's what's wrong! She didn't come to school to just control her powers! It's what I keep repeating!

Typical child when wants to do something and then get their *** kicked.
Yes, a lot of people CHANGE their mind after getting beaten. But that's now how she acted here. She was not sounding like "I wanted to be a hero, I got my *** kicked, now I want to leave." She was "I got *** my kicked and this isnt what I even wanted", which is a lie. It's the situation she DID want to be in.

Yes, a lot of people CHANGE their mind after getting beaten. But that's now how she acted here. She was not sounding like "I wanted to be a hero, I got my *** kicked, now I want to leave." She was "I got *** my kicked and this isnt what I even wanted", which is a lie. It's the situation she DID want to be in.

Kitty has been written before as being immature. The fact is that she seems in denial about her reasons for coming to the institute. That doesn't seem out of character for her. Also, just because she played up being an X-man upon her arrival doesn't mean she did not have other reasons to come.

Latest posts

Back