Ultimate X-Men #76 Discussion *spoilers*

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
While subscriptions sometimes mean that I don't get a comic until weeks after it comes out... Every now and then I get an issue on the monday or tuesday before that issue comes out...

This was one of those weeks... Here's a complete summary.

ULTIMATE X-MEN #76 - CABLE: PART 2

Cable and Wolverine fight. Cable throws some information at Wolverine that catches him off guard ("Who Is Sabretooth's Mother?" "Who is Wolverine's Wife?"). Wolverine remains unconvinced, but Cable presses him telling him that if he knew the future he would do anything in his power to stop it. Wolverine defends Charles, so Cable pulls out a few gizmos which take out Logan, remarking how he cannot defeat him "like a man" because he's not fast enough and because he'd lose. He mentions that whomever took his arm from him has used it against him (hence the scarring). The fight takes a lot out of cable, and he is left coughing and hacking, as the wounds his claws have retreated into continue to bleed.

He moves on through the mansion to face Rogue and Iceman (both of whom he seemed to have forgotten about in his attack plans). He says, "of All of them, I forgot you" (I presume he's talking about Rogue). Cyclops blasts him from the behind, knocking him down, and Bobby freezes him up. Cyclops frees Colossus. Cable uses a heating device to break out of the ice, which he then sticks into Iceman's chest while he's in ice form. Bobby starts screaming. Cable tells them that he wasn't planning on killing anyone other than Xavier. Colossus pulls Cable's foot out from under him, unleashing a chloroform which knocks him out. Xavier comes to, and tells scott not to let him go, but one of Cable's devices creates a force field which is unpassable, telepathically or otherwise. He takes Jean hostage, telling the professor that He knows what he wants, and that he will contact him about the exchange, saying that they will not harm her. Cable escapes through the sort of portal he came through in the first issue.

Kitty, having been stabbed (or made solid while something was in her, I forget, it happened in 75), is rushed to the infirmary, while colossus destroys the machine that created the temporary barrier that allowed Cable's escape. Kitty wakes up later in the infirmary to find out that Xavier channeled the mind of a Surgeon to save her life. She talks with Storm about how much she's starting to hate living at the school, as she came here to control her powers, not "fight crazy dudes every week." Storm expresses regret that she hasn't had time to finish the play she's been writing, which she hadn't talked to anybody about except Hank before he died. Kitty says she'd like to read it soon, but once they get Jean back, she's leaving the school for good.

Xavier, meanwhile is unable to find a trace of Jean anywhere on earth. Xavier knows that Cable wants to trade his life for Jean's and Cyclops says that they need to figure out a way to get jean without killing Xavier. Back in the infirmary, Wolverine is sniffing out the area where Cable first appeared. He can't pick up a trace of anything but himself.

All of a sudden a new portal opens, and Bishop runs out yelling. He wants to know whether he made it back before Cable, and where Cable is. Wolverine says he's not in the mood to be yelled at, and references Bishop's old age.

Back in Xavier's office, Cyclops and Storm brainstorm ways to stop Cable, realizing that he got tired quickly and could be injured. Cyclops says that if the team faces him together, they might be able to beat him, but Xavier says that Cable learned everything that the team did, and he'll be as prepared as they are when they meet again. Wolverine walks in with an unconscious Bishop over his shoulder, saying that this guy knows who exacty cable might be. Bishop regains consciousness and there are more references to him being very old... He says he's here to save the professor's life from Cable.

Jean is elsewhere wearing an inhibitor collar on her neck. Cable enters and tells her he's not going to answer any of her questions. Jean makes a reference to how the X-Men know what to expect next time, and that Cable won't be able to beat them. Cable asks her why she thinks that he will be acting alone. In walk whom I can only suspect to be the Wild Pack, as they look like Cable's original team. I presume the large black man to be the new version of Grizzly. The man with metal arms and gloves over his hands is probably Garrison Kane, and there is also an American Indian-looking man who doesn't look like he's G.W.Bridge... So maybe the large black man is bridge, and he's Grizzly... Or he's Warpath (a member of 616 Cable's X-Force). In front, of course is Domino, who says she's ready when Cable is.

All in all this is the best issue of Ultimate X-Men since Vaughn left the title. Seriously, this issue is pretty great, and I'm growing more and more comfortable with the idea of Cable being Wolverine... A lot happened in this issue, and if that continues, Ultimate X-Men is going to return to its status as one of the best Ultimate books. The characterizations are great, and the story is very intriguing... It really does seem to be leading up to the possible revelation of Xavier as Apocalypse.

Also: Here is a cover with the original 616 version of the you-know-whos that appear at the end of the issue. Don't look unless you want to be spoiled for tomorrows issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Xforce8.jpg

4.5/5

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like Bishop being old. But I can so over look that, especially when this sounds that damn good. I wish my subscrition comes in today like yours did. Usually it comes in the next week.

I would cancel my subscritions, but there's not a comic book store in some 75 miles.

Sounds good. If Cable's just messing around with Wolverine, I think this and future arcs have some serious potential. If not. . .well, I'll be seriously disappointed, but perhaps the rest of the story can make up for it. We'll see.

Last edited:
Good issue. I think my favorite part might have actually been Rogue and Iceman's appearance. It's not Rogue he's afraid of but definitely makes a reference to Iceman' being a force to reckon with. I haven't heard anything about him being capable of power since the giant arm thing in The Most Dangerous Game arc.

Good issue. I think my favorite part might have actually been Rogue and Iceman's appearance. It's not Rogue he's afraid of but definitely makes a reference to Iceman' being a force to reckon with. I haven't heard anything about him being capable of power since the giant arm thing in The Most Dangerous Game arc.
Yeah, little things like that were they show characters showing potential, and still giving them a limit as to not go overboard, is one of the good things that can be seen in UXM.

Can't wait for part 3.

I hope Kirkman does the characters on the last page justice next issue.

After Bendis and Ultimate Deadpool, I don't want to see any of Nicieza's other characters get wrecked in the UU.

I hope they're around for more than just a guest appearance in this arc.

I have to say I'm impressed with Kirkman. This was by far his best issue yet. I found it interesting how dark an image Cable paints of Xavier. I guess secrets are going to be revealed. I hope they don't go too far into the whole Sabertooth/Wolverine story. I'm hoping that gets buried.

Can anyone tell who the other members of X-Force are? I picked out Domino and I think Forge. I didn't expect Bishop to be so old. I thought he'd still be in scrapping shape. I didn't pick up on it until Cable started acting pretty slow, but he's a really old. Like social security old.

4/5

I have to say I'm impressed with Kirkman. This was by far his best issue yet. I found it interesting how dark an image Cable paints of Xavier. I guess secrets are going to be revealed. I hope they don't go too far into the whole Sabertooth/Wolverine story. I'm hoping that gets buried.

Can anyone tell who the other members of X-Force are? I picked out Domino and I think Forge. I didn't expect Bishop to be so old. I thought he'd still be in scrapping shape. I didn't pick up on it until Cable started acting pretty slow, but he's a really old. Like social security old.

4/5
In 616, Bishop came from 70 years in the future. Of course, I doubt it's that same amount of time here, but it's going to be a lot to at least make him old. I mean, it's not like they're coming from 10 years from now. I'm betting at least around 25-30 or so, give or take.

In 616, Bishop came from 70 years in the future. Of course, I doubt it's that same amount of time here, but it's going to be a lot to at least make him old. I mean, it's not like they're coming from 10 years from now. I'm betting at least around 25-30 or so, give or take.

If this bishop is the same kid who was considered in the Government's New Mutants team run by Emma Frost he's about 18 now...

I'm betting its a round 50 years in the future... With this Bishop at the ripe old age of 68 or so...

I'd be very surprised if its just 25 years in the future. Logans hair wouldn't go Grey that fast... Also didn't he mention having not had a healing factor for the past 30 years?

If this bishop is the same kid who was considered in the Government's New Mutants team run by Emma Frost he's about 18 now...

I'm betting its a round 50 years in the future... With this Bishop at the ripe old age of 68 or so...

I'd be very surprised if its just 25 years in the future. Logans hair wouldn't go Grey that fast... Also didn't he mention having not had a healing factor for the past 30 years?
18? I thought he was older than that for some reason, hence not so much in the future I guessed. But yeah, that makes more sense. Guess 40-50.

This issue was great, Kirkman is actually selling me on the idea of Cable as Logan.

I really want to know how/why he lost the healing factor and arm.

Proof, an outlandish idea like Wolverine being Cable can sell and be believable.

However, I still doubt he's Wolverine. Part 3 will tell us something big, but...I'm not revolted at Cable being Wolverine.

Kirkman's really starting to kick *** on this book. I'm really glad I dropped USM instead of this.

Latest posts

Back