Ultimate X-Men #77 Discussion (Spoilers!)

Jean = The Goblin Queen

Cable calling them Goblins pretty much cements that for me.

Better than Madelyn whatsherface, the Jean clone that came from the future, and lives in an egg in the middle of the ocean.

616 X-Men continuity sucks.

Jean = The Goblin Queen

*raises eyebrow*

Intruiging. Haven't read the issue yet. Can you tell me the exact quote?

Better than Madelyn whatsherface, the Jean clone that came from the future, and lives in an egg in the middle of the ocean.

I wouldn't speak so soon. Hypothetically, it could get just as bad... for example, if Kirkman attempted to tie it in with all of the other Goblin-related characters from USM :twisted:

Of course, I *do* have more faith in his creativity than that.

Still, I was just saying, there's still plenty of room to mess it up.

I'd prefer if it was just a simple reference, rather than a full-blown ultimization. It gives a nice nod to the fans (Goblin Queen has fans?!) and it keeps the Ultimate Universe from getting any more clustered.

4/5 for me as well. I like this new artist, and I can't wait to see more of his work; it's just too bad that we have to get through one more issue of Oliver to get to Paquette illustrating monthly. Which, in UXM, will probably be for about 3 months. :)

Jean = The Goblin Queen

Point. Set. Match.

You got it.

I'm pretty sure of that too, but. . .isn't that putting too many characters into one? She's Phoenix AND the Goblin Queen?

Ultimate characters are better multi-taskers than the 616 versions...except Wolverine. I mean, 616 Wolverine is everywhere...Ultimate Wolverine is only several places...

Re: Ultimate X-Men #77 Discussion "Spoiler"

Madelyn Pryor never came from the future. She's a clone of Jean from present time. Sinister cloned Jean to make Madelyn.

I like the people that haven't read the the issue yet, to be just as surpised as I was when I read and, or saw that.
Yeah...if they're coming in the thread, it doesn't matter since they see it's labeled "Spoilers". :?

Sounds like a good issue. I was at the comic shop, but UPS hadn't arrived yet. So I might stop by tomorrow or later on. So with Jean possibly also being the Goblin Queen, it could be like Pym having different hero egos.

Ice said:
Madelyn Pryor never came from the future. She's a clone of Jean from present time. Sinister cloned Jean to make Madelyn.

I know, but that doesn't make it any better.

And I'm still saying it's not Ultimate Goblin Queen, it's just a nice reference.

I'm pretty sure of that too, but. . .isn't that putting too many characters into one? She's Phoenix AND the Goblin Queen?

I'm sure schizophrenia is only one side effect of having mental blocks/barriers/walls/whatever put in your head by Professor X.

I think Jean's got some major issues and that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

I agree, Jean's not through with the Phoenix yet. I'm sure the weird little things like those goblins, the voice talking to her in the astral plain during the Cry Wolf arc, and the occasional take over by a different personality who likes to melt people will seem mild compared to the Phoenix fast and coming.

Last edited:
Back at the compound we see Cable watching the fight thats taking place outside. he then goes and checks on Jean. he asks her if when she uses her telekinisis does she see goblins doing all the work? Jean just stair at him, Cable turns and says " I thought so. That was the first sign. It will happen soon. I just wanted to let you know you'll get through it. it will take some time--but you will.
Right here it seems interesting.
We then go back to the institute where we see Rogue tell the Professor she will be fine. That it hurts but its growing back. Xavier storms out of the room Scott chases after him. Asking him where he is going Xavier says he can't just sit there as his children are in harms way. Scott says he can't let him do that. He is the prime target. Xavier says he doesn't care. Scott asks why are you doing this. Xavier says, " Damn it, Scott-- can't you see? Do I have to spell it out for you?! I'm in love with jean.
We've been calling this one for a while now.

Art was good. Story is better. I can't wait to see how this shapes up.

Hopefully, we'll know by the end of this arc that Cable is, in fact, not Cable, but someone else. A new character.

Really good issue. With this and Ultimate Fantastic Four, I feel like the Ultimate Line is hitting a high point again. Even Ultimate Vision was good. If only we didn't have to contend with USM and Ultimate Power.

I love the "we took out your front line" and Cable talking to Jean and just how much they know about the X-Men probably through something as simple as textbooks. I thought the last page was absolutely pathetic but I'm interested in seeing Scott's reaction to it. Loved the X-men vs. 6 pack. One of the best fight scenes in a while.

5/5

Really good issue. With this and Ultimate Fantastic Four, I feel like the Ultimate Line is hitting a high point again. Even Ultimate Vision was good. If only we didn't have to contend with USM and Ultimate Power.

I love the "we took out your front line" and Cable talking to Jean and just how much they know about the X-Men probably through something as simple as textbooks. I thought the last page was absolutely pathetic but I'm interested in seeing Scott's reaction to it. Loved the X-men vs. 6 pack. One of the best fight scenes in a while.

5/5

Whoa...I didn't know ManWithoutFear gave out 5/5s....well outside of Ultimates.

This was a great issue. Not quite as good as last issue, but thats forgiveable. I give it a 4/5.

The art was slightly dissapointing. In some places (like fight scenes) it worked, but other times it looked off... Like Bobby's face in the first scene.

I was also dissapointed that Rogue's arm is going to grow back. Boo. She should lose it permanently. Also, does anyone else think that Rogue may have Logan's powers for a while? Like long enough to **** Bobby's brains out?

The Xavier thing at the end was cool, but expected. I mean if Betty Loves Fury, Xavier should Love Jeanie. Duh.

Last edited:
I'm sure schizophrenia is only one side effect of having mental blocks/barriers/walls/whatever put in your head by Professor X.

I think Jean's got some major issues and that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

You know, one of the things I absolutely loathed about X3 was the fact that Phoenix was just a split personality (After which, I realized, that no matter what universe, Phoenix's origin would always be stupid). However, I wouldn't be opposed to her having multiple personalities and/or schizophrenia. It could add a very interesting layer to her character.

Whoa...I didn't know ManWithoutFear gave out 5/5s....well outside of Ultimates.

He's gone soft in his old age.

I'll give it a 4/5. Very good issue. I too was shocked when Rogue got blasted on. I was like damn they blew her arm off! The Xavier part at the end was ehh.. What happen to the other chick he was messing with? Is it me or is the art kinda wack? The part where Wolverine was jumping at someone after Rogue got shot was horrible. Looks like they didnt finish drawing it or something... I miss the old artist.

Back