Ultimate X-Men #77 Discussion (Spoilers!)

this was decent

im not a fan of the art coipel was doing a great job on this arc, they should have at least let him finish it, yanick paquette im not digging his art it's not bad i just don't like it.

the story was superb though

4/5

this was decent

im not a fan of the art coipel was doing a great job on this arc, they should have at least let him finish it, yanick paquette im not digging his art it's not bad i just don't like it.

the story was superb though

4/5

Ben Oliver was doing the art on this arc, not Oliver Coipel.

Art was good. Story is better. I can't wait to see how this shapes up.

Hopefully, we'll know by the end of this arc that Cable is, in fact, not Cable, but someone else. A new character.

I wouldnt hold my breath though.

And does Xavier loving jean make him a Pedo? i mean she's still a teenager for christ sake.

Really..i thought she was younger...still he like 3-times her age.
More like 2 times. Still, it's an inter-generational (non?) relationship between two consenting adults. Difficult, yes, and most likely subject to public tsk-tsk-ing, but not outside the realm of possibility. Xavier is hardly one to take into consideration public sentiment, in how he carries out his personal affairs.

What i'm more curious about is the extent to which Jean recognizes the nature of Xavier's affaction -- not only is she more intuitive (by personality) than Scott (who is naturally very stoic), but she and the Professor work in such close contact, as telepaths. Surely, she must have picked up stray thoughts confirming his feelings, every now and then, beyond the more ambiguous social/behavioral signals.

And, perhaps more crucial to the immediate storyline -- does Xavier have knowledge of the Professor's real feelings?

Last edited:
More like 2 times. Still, it's an inter-generational (non?) relationship between two consenting adults. Difficult, yes, and possibly subject to public tsk-tski-ing, but not outside the realm of possibility. Xavier is hardly one to take into consideration public sentiment, in how he carries out his personal affairs.

What i'm more curious about is the extent to which Jean recognizes the nature of Xavier's affaction -- not only is she more intuitive (by personality) than Scott (who is naturally very stoic), but she and the Professor work in such close contact, as telepaths. Surely, she must have picked up stray thoughts confirming his feelings, every now and then, beyond the more ambiguous social/behavioral signals.

And, perhaps more crucial to the immediate storyline -- does Xavier have knowledge of the Professor's real feelings?

IDK, Xavier is the best in the UU at this telepath game...He's the one they elected to make contact with Gah Lak Tus no less, so it wouldn't surprise me if he could not only hide any and all thoughts from her that he didn't want her to see/know...And even more pertinent (sp?) is would he be so good as to possibly influence Jean into having reciprocal feelings? Either way, the thought of Xavier having feelings for someone unable to buy beer is icky :sick:

IDK, Xavier is the best in the UU at this telepath game...
That's precisely it -- would even the world's greatest telepath be able to restict something as unpedictable, volatile, and (in the scientific sense) chaotic as capital-L Love, which is the exact word he used to describe his feelings for Jean. I would think no. He's still a human on the inside, at the end of the day. He's a Professor, not a monk. "Homo Superior" ends with physiology, I say. The guy is subject to the same uncontrollable emotions as the rest of us "flascan" shlubs. It's the great equalizer of the species.

And even more pertinent (sp?) is would he be so good as to possibly influence Jean into having reciprocal feelings?
Wow. I hadn't considered that. Very relevant point. Must think more about that possibility. :?

My gut instinct is to say no; Xavier's ethical gray areas have generally been limited to larger ideological and strategic concerns, so far.

Either way, the thought of Xavier having feelings for someone unable to buy beer is icky :sick:
I was about to correct your apparent error, when I remembered the restrictive -- and, frankly, laughable -- laws about the drinking age in the U.S. (It's 18, here in the Philippines, officialy; but I know people who have been drinking beer since age twelve.)

Last edited:
The whole Xavier loves Jeannie thing makes the Mystique/Emma Frost back up story a whole lot more relevant.

Xavier is developing a pattern of liking creepily younger women.

It'll probably end up with Cable being Right and the Good Guy all along, Bishop somehow leading the team to defend the Bad Guy's position and another Everything You Know Is Wrong storyline.

But I hope not.

And I've come to expect more from Kirkman, a writer I used to care nothing about, but who's really proven himself to me lately.

That's precisely it -- would even the world's greatest telepath be able to restict something as unpedictable, volatile, and (in the scientific sense) chaotic as capital-L Love, which is the exact word he used to describe his feelings for Jean. I would think no. He's still a human on the inside, at the end of the day. He's a Professor, not a monk. "Homo Superior" ends with the physiological, iI say. The guy is subject to the same uncontrollable emotions as the rest of us "flascan" shlubs. It's the great equalizer.

I think that's something that will obviously be fleshed out in the next few issues, but with the level of control and calm Xavier has shown I'm not entirely ready to say he is unable to keep it under control, human or not...Besides, even if those thoughts do pop in and out on occasion, would Jean be able to notice?...With the cluster**** that is her brain(what with the goblins and all, and the Phoenix as well) and just being in genuine turmoil all the time as part of the Xmen, I could easily see many "little" things like that simply slipping through Jean's notice...But it's a sound argument nonetheless

My gut instinct is to say no; Xavier's ethical gray areas have generally been limited to larger idological and strategic concerns, so far.

I'm hoping it may have actually happened, because as far as I'm concerned, that's the point of the UU, to make things radically different and modernize it...Granted, lately 616 Xavier has been a dick as well, I'd like to think UU Xavier might get a little lost in his feelings and let them cloud his judgement...If love is enough to not keep his thoughts under control I don't see letting them interfere with his judgement implausible either

i was about to correct your apparent error, when I remembered the restrictive -- and, frankly, laughable -- laws about the drinking age in the U.S. (It's 18, here in the Philippines, officialy; but I know people who have been drinking beer since age twelve.)

Well I don't know exactly how old she is and all my back issues are out of town so I can't check, but I'm assuming she at least is under 21...I always felt she was 17 when the series started, but I have no honest clue...And yes, we yanks have quite a few senseless/pointless laws :roll:

Xavier is developing a pattern of liking creepily younger women.
I agree -- it's an interesting development, because it raises the question of whether his 'fetish' or preference (if you can call it that) takes away from his other positive qualities: his abilities as a leader and educator, his public role as mutant equlaity advocate, etc.

Even if the general public -- and, for the most part, his own students -- are not aware of this questionable personal quirk, it's already dramatic enough for us (as readers) to know about it, because it makes us reassess how we see the character.

And if it were to ever become public knowledge, it opens up a variety of story-telling possibilities that were never there in 616 continuity.

For now, I'm willing to put aside my misgivings about the age gap, and just see how the storyline develops. It's defintiely far more intruiging, to me, than the main Cable plot.

Last edited:
I don't feel like going downstairs and checking my back issues, but...

Didn't 616 Xavier have a creepy crush on Jean in the early issues of X Men? Like back in the 60's?

He did, but only in one thought balloon in, like, issue three. It was not referenced again until (new) X-Men 50-something during the Onslaught stuff and, to the best of my knowledge, never mentioned again.

I can't really say anything more about this issue that hasn't already been said. 4/5

Anybody else a little disappointed that the black guy wasn't Grizzly? I thought the Native American guy was going to be someone else, but I guess I am fine with it.

Okay... 18 yr old Jean Grey and 20-something Xavier is a LOT less creepy than the original 616 relationship between 14 yr old Kitty Pryde and 20-something colossus.

I think Colossus was only 18 or 19 back then. Still, I think Kitty was 13 and that's just. . . inappropriate. But what's even creepier was Kitty's highly-sexed, Ellis-written relationship with Pete Wisdom when she was, like, 16. It's actually hard to read the Pryde and Wisdom mini because of this aspect. Oh, and because Dodson gave her gigantic. . . things.

Latest posts

Back