Ultimate X-Men #79 discussion (spoilers)

I had no faith when Ultimate Universe was announced. I'll judge when I can read U3. Until then, I have nothing to really say on it.

Kirkman started off, bad. But now I'm looking forward to his character issues. Even the Beast one.

EDIT:

Oh, and yeah UP is crap. And since Bendis was involved in it, I put it under the blaming of Bendis. :)

Last edited:
To redeem him will feel as out of place as his redemtion in 616 is now, IMO.
This I have to take issue with. 616 Sabes has NOT been redeemed. He's on a leash, that's it. Carey himself said that redeeming Sabertooth after all the crap he's done would be stupid. He does what they say under the threat of blowing him up from the inside and the rest of the time he's in shackles or being stored in a torpedo tube. He's still a Grade A psychotic bastard and no one on the team trusts him. So in conclusion, not redeemed.

That said, I agree that Ultimate Sabes should stay a villain.

So, with Dazzler on the first page of this ish and Nightcrawler escaping at the end of it (and getting his own two-parter in a few months), will we see that weird relationship explored more?

I hope so. Dazzler and Nightcrawler are two of my favorites.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sabretooth wants Wolverine to hunt down his mother so that he can kill her, or do something else nefarious when he discovers her. Or he knows a secret about Wolverine's wife that's going to seriously **** with James when he finds out.

I'd give the issue about an 8/10... It was mainly setup, but it really did leave everyone in a good place, and as long as Kirkman can follow it up with equally good solo issues, I think his run might become a serious classic.

Agreed. In my opinion, each of his arcs have just gotten progressively better: Date Night was meh; Phoenix was a bit better; Magical was ok; Annual #2 was good; Cable was interesting, fun, and pretty earth-shattering considering Xavier's death; and Aftermath is shaping up to be a short yet memorable arc itself.

I agree with Joe - the art was AWFUL - everyone had a 'I just tasted soap, and my mouth is twice as long as it usually is' expression. The exception was the White House pages with Nick Fury - the art there was great (was it a different artist?)

That being said, compare an 'aftermath' issue by Kirkman (this one) to an aftermath issue by Bendis (USM 105). NO COMPARISON. Things HAPPEN in this issue - even in a 'let's let the smoke clear' issue, new threads are introduced, intermediate ones are progressed. USM 105, by comparison, for a functionally similar issue, was poop.

The big resolution with Spider-Woman? She's....going somewhere....else
The cliffhanger with Spidey's powers? He's going to ...think about it.
Aunt May's heart attack? She's not...dead. but..not.....good
Nick Fury's big plans for Peter? He's going to watch...and...wait. but now he...likes him...a little
Doc Ock? he's somewhere...else...for now.....or....ever.
MJ Goblin? She's ok...but saw something...or...not

Honestly - USM has become the only book that when I read it, I feel like I'm trying out for a 'William Shatner as Captain Kirk' contest. Lot's of fake and unnecessary build up, in random spots, to pointless nothing.

Sorry - this was about UXM - enjoyed it. :)

If ShadowKing somehow jumps out of the pages of her screenplay thing it will be just as bad as Magnetopus. Storm doesn't have any kind've telepathic powers so how is a fictional character going to turn out real? Unless Shadowking is a mutant gang leader Storm used to run with and she's not useing him as inspiration of her lead character...

This issue was good. I'm sick of the Academy of Tomorrow though. I don't want to see Emma Frost anymore. She annoys me. And Northstar's trying selfishly trying to convince Colossus to come away really irked me.

If Jean was reading Scott's mind about the present shouldn't she know what's in there then?

Logan's scenes were cool. I love the Sabertooth/Wolverine angle. I'm in complete denial about Cable being future Wolverine though.

Magneto's final line took me off guard. What a son of a *****.

The art ****in' sucked. And all the mutants with Magneto save Longshot and Forge are alien looking? Cmon.

4/5

If ShadowKing somehow jumps out of the pages of her screenplay thing it will be just as bad as Magnetopus. Storm doesn't have any kind've telepathic powers so how is a fictional character going to turn out real? Unless Shadowking is a mutant gang leader Storm used to run with and she's not useing him as inspiration of her lead character...

This issue was good. I'm sick of the Academy of Tomorrow though. I don't want to see Emma Frost anymore. She annoys me. And Northstar's trying selfishly trying to convince Colossus to come away really irked me.

Yeah, he was like the worst needy girlfriend ever. "It'll hurt my feelings if you don't come" or whatever he said. Pathetic.

If Jean was reading Scott's mind about the present shouldn't she know what's in there then?

Well, she probably does know how X felt (and probably did it with him too) so she maybe just doesn't want to start a big fight with Cyclops.

Logan's scenes were cool. I love the Sabertooth/Wolverine angle. I'm in complete denial about Cable being future Wolverine though.

I wish I could be, but I'm getting to believe more and more that that's the way it's going to be.

The art ****in' sucked. And all the mutants with Magneto save Longshot and Forge are alien looking? Cmon.

4/5

Right. I had no idea what the heck was going on with the priest at X's funeral. That threw me for a while before I figured he was a mutant. I was thinking "is that an alien?" then "is that Jean manifetsing a goblin?"

Last edited:
I agree with Joe - the art was AWFUL - everyone had a 'I just tasted soap, and my mouth is twice as long as it usually is' expression. The exception was the White House pages with Nick Fury - the art there was great (was it a different artist?)

That being said, compare an 'aftermath' issue by Kirkman (this one) to an aftermath issue by Bendis (USM 105). NO COMPARISON. Things HAPPEN in this issue - even in a 'let's let the smoke clear' issue, new threads are introduced, intermediate ones are progressed. USM 105, by comparison, for a functionally similar issue, was poop.

The big resolution with Spider-Woman? She's....going somewhere....else
The cliffhanger with Spidey's powers? He's going to ...think about it.
Aunt May's heart attack? She's not...dead. but..not.....good
Nick Fury's big plans for Peter? He's going to watch...and...wait. but now he...likes him...a little
Doc Ock? he's somewhere...else...for now.....or....ever.
MJ Goblin? She's ok...but saw something...or...not

Honestly - USM has become the only book that when I read it, I feel like I'm trying out for a 'William Shatner as Captain Kirk' contest. Lot's of fake and unnecessary build up, in random spots, to pointless nothing.

Sorry - this was about UXM - enjoyed it. :)

I nominate this for POTD. :D

Also, the art was horrible. Sabretooth had a puppet face.

TheManWithoutFear said:

;) And maybe the Shadow King is running the Morlocks now. That's a pretty good idea, actually. If the Shadow King is someone from Storm's past and the play just foreshadows that, it could turno ut pretty cool.

I wouldn't be too worried about him jumping out of the screenplay. There's a lot of other options there. It's definitely possible that the Shadow King is a creature who lives in the dreams, and he's been seeping into Storm's mind, and the play is just her subconsciously channeling these feelings. They're a symptom of her possession. Or it could be a rogue portion of Xavier's psyche.

Someone earlier mentioned that if it's Xavier, they don't think he was consciously evil. and I totally agree with that.

TheManWithoutFear said:

I liked Emma's *****iness, but I'm really not interested in her school. I just feel like noone in the school is particularly characterized well. I'm hoping Kirkman will flesh them out and make them interesting with the backup features. And I thought Northstar was played just right. It was the perfect combination of worry about personal desire you'd expect out of a horny teenager. I thought the scene was kind of sweet, honestly.

TheManWithoutFear said:

I didn't catch that on my first read-through, but I did pick it up when I wrote the issue synopsis. I think Kirkman knows that Jean would know, and Scott knows that Jean knows, which adds some nice tension.

ManWithoutFear said:

Bah. The Cable as Wolverine angle adds a nice symmetry to the whole thing, honestly.

I'm hoping that this will be covered in Loeb's Ultimate Wolverine. I'd really like to see a miniseries that explains Wolverine's history once and for all and doesn't make it too complicated, so we don't have that mystery hanging over our heads for years and years and getting disgustingly convoluted, like in the 616 U.

TheManWithoutFear said:

The dudes at my comic shop were saying it was out of character for Magneto, but I love it.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Uh, dude! That's because Magneto's new mutant utopia is ON MARS, where he's uniting martians and mutants.

Last edited:
;) And maybe the Shadow King is running the Morlocks now. That's a pretty good idea, actually. If the Shadow King is someone from Storm's past and the play just foreshadows that, it could turno ut pretty cool.
Nice. I like that idea.

I wouldn't be too worried about him jumping out of the screenplay. There's a lot of other options there. It's definitely possible that the Shadow King is a creature who lives in the dreams, and he's been seeping into Storm's mind, and the play is just her subconsciously channeling these feelings. They're a symptom of her possession. Or it could be a rogue portion of Xavier's psyche.

Someone earlier mentioned that if it's Xavier, they don't think he was consciously evil. and I totally agree with that.
Well then can someone please explain how this Shadow King is associated with both Storm and Xavier? Does anyone with these Xavier theories think that he's slowly taking over the team? Because that's the only thing I can think of that's plausible without this Shadowking/Storm connection being overly coincidental. I'm completely forgetting Shadowking being involved with Xavier from here on out. If it has anything to do with Charles telepathy then why is Storm writing about him?

The dudes at my comic shop were saying it was out of character for Magneto, but I love it.
Out of character for 616 Magneto. Those idiots wanted Magneto to shed a tear at the end? Predictable? Overdone? Tell them to get over it.

Uh, dude! That's because Magneto's new mutant utopia is ON MARS, where he's uniting martians and mutants.
:lol:

Well then can someone please explain how this Shadow King is associated with both Storm and Xavier? Does anyone with these Xavier theories think that he's slowly taking over the team? Because that's the only thing I can think of that's plausible without this Shadowking/Storm connection being overly coincidental. I'm completely forgetting Shadowking being involved with Xavier from here on out. If it has anything to do with Charles telepathy then why is Storm writing about him?
Well, in 616, there was a guy who "owned" Storm when she was a theif when Xavier stepped in there at that time. That guy was actually Shadow King. Maybe there's a version of that being done here, but obviously not the same way.

Does anyone think that the Shadow King title is, well, just a title?

What I mean is, does anyone think this it is just an Easter egg? I'm not entirely convinced that it means anything, even if she quickly hid it from Wolverine (as if he enjoys reading). I hate it when people see things that I've written, she herself has said she likes writing "little one act plays, not for anyone else, but just because I like to". Everyone was convinced Xavier's cat was, in fact, Mystique, and I'm pretty sure that started off as an Easter egg...(Then we got a goofy two page story about how both Mystique and the cat are *****es.)

I also find it hard to believe Magneto could be assembling his minions, within a new futuristic looking city, in secret, without S.H.I.E.L.D or anyone finding out. I think, being undercover and trying to regain his following, it would make more sense to go the way of a smaller Brotherhood, solely Magneto at the top, then one or two Lieutenants followed by however many mutants. I don't like the Brotherhood exceeding 15-20 people, because then, well...the rest of them just...fill space, hang out, or for some weird reason are art conisseurs, like in Return of the King.

Plus, I think perhaps Magneto is upset by Xavier's death...Just a hunch that he wanted to look strong in front of everyone. I know Magneto's nearly killed Xavier plenty of times, but I get the feeling that he truly respects his old friend enough to the point where he'd only say something like that to fool others.

Guess I'm just convinced the writers are out to make us THE most paranoid group of people on the planet.

:shifty: :scared:

Plus, I think perhaps Magneto is upset by Xavier's death...Just a hunch that he wanted to look strong in front of everyone. I know Magneto's nearly killed Xavier plenty of times, but I get the feeling that he truly respects his old friend enough to the point where he'd only say something like that to fool others.

Doubt it.

Ult Magneto is morecold and ruhless than 616 Mags...heck he's not even really as nice as 616 mags.

There's also that little fact of Xavier mind wiping Mags and im sure he hasnt forgoten.

Back