Ultimate X-Men #79 discussion (spoilers)

I also find it hard to believe Magneto could be assembling his minions, within a new futuristic looking city, in secret, without S.H.I.E.L.D or anyone finding out. I think, being undercover and trying to regain his following, it would make more sense to go the way of a smaller Brotherhood, solely Magneto at the top, then one or two Lieutenants followed by however many mutants. I don't like the Brotherhood exceeding 15-20 people, because then, well...the rest of them just...fill space, hang out, or for some weird reason are art conisseurs, like in Return of the King.

I'd assume that S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Ultimates are still dealing with the events from Ultimates 2, and probably aren't really watching the Savage Land. Heck, they don't even realize that Magneto has escaped.

Plus, I think perhaps Magneto is upset by Xavier's death...Just a hunch that he wanted to look strong in front of everyone. I know Magneto's nearly killed Xavier plenty of times, but I get the feeling that he truly respects his old friend enough to the point where he'd only say something like that to fool others.

Get over it.

That's all I have to say to you.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well then can someone please explain how this Shadow King is associated with both Storm and Xavier? Does anyone with these Xavier theories think that he's slowly taking over the team? Because that's the only thing I can think of that's plausible without this Shadowking/Storm connection being overly coincidental. I'm completely forgetting Shadowking being involved with Xavier from here on out. If it has anything to do with Charles telepathy then why is Storm writing about him?

I think everyone's jumping on the Xavier bandwagon because he had a tie to Shadow King in the 616 universe, and this Shadow King thing is just coming to light immediately after Xavier's death.

The most ideal situation I can picture would have Shadow King (aside from the idea of him being someone from Storm's past, which is an idea I really like. In that case, he might not even appear in the present. Instead, the play could be a jumping off point for a Storm flashback involving the Shadow King) as some malicious entity that hunts through dreams. Maybe Xavier had him mentally imprisoned and his death broke the monster free, or maybe not. And now he's infecting Storm's dreams, either to manipulate or possess her. Maybe she knew him in the past, before he became what he is today, or maybe not. Either way, this possession or manipulation would let us expand on Storm's personality. Having her manipulated and playing up the terrifying storm goddess part of her personality (which is something I don't think we've seen yet) would be sick as hell.

Also, given Storm's close connection to Beast, we can't rule out the possibility that his supposed "return" has something to do with this Shadow King....... What if she's willingly doing something for him, in return for his promise that he'll resurrect her ex-boyfriend?

Gemini said:
Who was the purple preacher guy with the big ears? the reason for him even being their was?

He was a Klingon.

Scarecrow said:
What I mean is, does anyone think this it is just an Easter egg? I'm not entirely convinced that it means anything, even if she quickly hid it from Wolverine (as if he enjoys reading). I hate it when people see things that I've written, she herself has said she likes writing "little one act plays, not for anyone else, but just because I like to". Everyone was convinced Xavier's cat was, in fact, Mystique, and I'm pretty sure that started off as an Easter egg...(Then we got a goofy two page story about how both Mystique and the cat are *****es.)

It's possible, but it's a lot more fun to speculate about it.

Scarecrow said:
I also find it hard to believe Magneto could be assembling his minions, within a new futuristic looking city, in secret, without S.H.I.E.L.D or anyone finding out.

Uh.... because they're on Venus, dude.

Scarecrow said:
I think, being undercover and trying to regain his following, it would make more sense to go the way of a smaller Brotherhood, solely Magneto at the top, then one or two Lieutenants followed by however many mutants. I don't like the Brotherhood exceeding 15-20 people, because then, well...the rest of them just...fill space, hang out, or for some weird reason are art conisseurs, like in Return of the King.

I really would have liked to see the Brotherhood operating more in the manner of real terrorist groups, with cells spread all throughout the world, none of them aware of each other, and some unaware that they're working for the Brotherhood at all.

On the other hand, I kind of like the idea of Magneto surrounding himself with all sorts of elitist snobs and scholars. He seems like the kind of guy who'd surround himself with courtiers, who sees himself as genuine royalty.

Scarecrow said:
Plus, I think perhaps Magneto is upset by Xavier's death...Just a hunch that he wanted to look strong in front of everyone. I know Magneto's nearly killed Xavier plenty of times, but I get the feeling that he truly respects his old friend enough to the point where he'd only say something like that to fool others.

I'm honestly not sure about that. It's not like he followed rules of engagement or chivalry when engaging Xavier. He sent an assassin out to kill him. Not to mention, Xavier completely ****ed with his mind.

Here's the thing. Mags was Xavier's old friend.

BUT A LOT has been done since then. They fought, and Mags tried to kill Xavier. Then Xavier made a team to fight Mags, so Magneto sent Wolverine to kill Xavier.

This ended in much pain and brainwashing for Magneto.

Then after becoming a drone for Xavier's dream he came back, with VENGENCE!

When Xavier was jailed, it IS important to note that Magneto offered one last chance to be rescued and join him.

But I really do think Magneto was telling the truth, that was the LAST chance. All Xavier has shown Magneto in all these years is X's will and brainwashing.

Neither Magneto or Xavier are the goody-goodies that the 616 versions are.

I see no reason why Magneto can't be relieved that when he tries his next plot he won't have to deal with someone that will brainwash him and that his enemies the X-Men are leaderless.

That's a victory. Now if the only Nick Fury and the Ultimates would die or break up, and Magneto can take the world by storm.

There's nothing out of character with Magneto being happy he no longer has to plan what to do with Xavier. He MAY mourn his death a little, but there's more of a chance that Magneto is just happy he's one step closer to taking over the world.

I hope the X-Men sort of disband.
According to the solits of next issue, that's what we're supposed to get. So it's gonna be interesting where all the guys go to.

And it might not be much of a big deal (or at least at this point), but I wonder myself about the mansion. Like what will happen with it.

Well, she probably does know how X felt (and probably did it with him too) so she maybe just doesn't want to start a big fight with Cyclops.
The dirtyness of my mind scares me sometimes.

This art is not good. It can be on some panels ((a few points during Orono and James talking, the flashback to the Savage Land, the War Room or whatever it's called...) but it's way too disorienting for my to look at without getting queasy. Someone please get a quality, long-term penciler on this book.

On the plus side, the story was great. Now this is how you write a single issue.

Kitty doesn't even go to the funeral? Cold. :0 I didn't even think about her living in Queens, I just kind of figured she lived near or in Chicago like her 616 version. Probably should have figured that was wrong with Jean driving Kitty and her mom to the mansion...

Speaking of Jean, she is just deadset on now getting that present. She's being all witchy about it too. "Scott, I know you could have potentially bought something beautiful that cost you a lot of money, but I'm going to just outright ignore my birthday and tell you to shove it." Eh, she probably realizes that he's trying to propose and is delaying it so she won't have too much going on or whatever, but she comes off as rather catty.

Storm's rather emotional, isn't she? o.o

4.5/5

I agree with a lot of speculations about the Shadow King. I would really like him to be someone from her past.

I think writing takes all forms, ideas can come from anywhere. Dreams, Nightmares, personal experiences. Ororo isn't the type to go and talk about her feelings and her past. So maybe writing what happened is her way of dealing with it….

Whatever the case it will be, i just want to see a new take on Storm's past. For years, we've heard the same stories about her being a thief but yet we really didn't get to see much of it. Its seems as though we'll get more of Storm with her dead-boyfriend back in the picture. ( people in comic books just can't stay dead )

This sounds like a really cool issue... As soon as I get home for spring break, I'll catch up on my comics and I'll definitely be reading UXM first. The title is great with Kirkman on it, despite the Magician garbage.

Good issue. I agree about the art. It was very dissapointing. Sabes looked like an ape with how his face was drawn. It's as if Yanick rushed or something.

But other than that, I really liked the issue. And this struck me as soon as I read what Moira said, don't know if it was brought up. We had mention from Fury that Xavier was involved with "The Legacy Project". And Moira said that she talked to Xavier a few days ago. I wonder if she's been involved as well. Incase there are those who don't know, Moira was involved with the Legacy Virus in 616 trying to find a cure. I wonder if she's playing a part here as well...

3.5/5

One thing I enjoy about Kirkman's writing on about any title is the fact that he really doesn't write for trades. Compared to Bendis, whose arcs on USM are totally self-contained, Kirkman seems to be weaving a bigger story and setting all these great things up that he (or someone else) can follow up on later. Just like he does with Invincible.

Finally got a chance to read this...

...and it was great.

Even though I have no question that the Professor's death is temporary, this was nice because it didn't make it *seem* like it is.

And I agree that it's nice to see this seem more like it's not written for trade. The FF at the funeral and Reed mentioning GahLakTus was a nice touch.

The art is hit and miss but was good for the most part.

I also like the significance of Kurt escaping without it being so predictable that it's obvious what is going to happen.

And I'm curious to see more of Magneto's reaction, because he and Charles were good friends for all their disagreements. That last line didn't seem like something he would say.

4/5. This is, unquestionably, the best Ultimate book right now.

And I'm curious to see more of Magneto's reaction, because he and Charles were good friends for all their disagreements. That last line didn't seem like something he would say.
When I read people talking about that, I thought he really meant it. But if we look at his face, of what we can see, he's not smiling or anything. I think he's just saying that so he won't seem weak in front of his followers.

I was pleased with this issue, and I'd be happy to see the book fracture into multiple parallel storylines for a while (core team/Wolverine/Nightcrawler). Also, with what's happening in USM, we can finally get the needless Kitty-Spidey romance done away with (and along with it, all that crossover contamination), and with Lilandra still offering big bucks to keep an eye on Jean, Scott will, at least, have the money to keep the school up and going. I wonderz if Emma will catch wind of that though, and start trying to lure Jean over to the Academy for profit's sake. All in all, 4/5.

Last edited:
It was a pretty good issue. The Wolverine line about the mission was the best part. I don't like the Sabertooth-Wolverine thing goin on but I'm willing to see how it plays out.

The art was good but nowhere near what it looked like in Bulleteer. Was it even the same guy?

When I read people talking about that, I thought he really meant it. But if we look at his face, of what we can see, he's not smiling or anything. I think he's just saying that so he won't seem weak in front of his followers.

Generally Magneto is a character I like, hes a villain but hes not an evil guy, he just sees things differently which is why I absolutely HATED Kirkman for writing that last line. Im willing to beleive that theres some ulterior motive to it though. Favourite X-Men moment is from the movies when Magneto reprimands Pyro for being happy Xavier dies, the line sums up the character completely.

:roll: Magneto sent the world's most dangerous weapon after Xavier in the beginning. He sent a spike through Charles to kill, not maim, him. We are not dealing with the cliche enemy that "respects" his opponents. Ultimate Magneto is a madman.

I do not believe there's anything under the surface and I like it that way.

:roll: Magneto sent the world's most dangerous weapon after Xavier in the beginning. He sent a spike through Charles to kill, not maim, him. We are not dealing with the cliche enemy that "respects" his opponents. Ultimate Magneto is a madman.

I do not believe there's anything under the surface and I like it that way.

Definitely, though I dont like that because than there's no compassion for Magneto. I mean one of the best things they should of played up is the blurry sides of right and wrong, instead Mags is just flat out a bad guy

Latest posts

Back