Ultimate X-men #81 discussion (spoilers)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #81 preview @ PCS

Sweet! Mastermind's back! And look! Mystique!

And could that be Stacy X?!

Thanks, Chanzero.

Huh, well I really haven't liked Kirkman's run so far, but that actually seemed kinda interesting :shock: :p

I do like the idea of finally picking back up on the Magneto storyline, and that Mystique will be out of prison. I've skipped around UXM a bit, so I was wondering, have there been any hints that she is Nightcrawler's mother?

I'm hoping Sinister is somehow faking suffocation to get himself out, that would be far more interesting then just killing him off. If he is, do you think he might have something do to with Beast's return somehow? I'm not sure how he would, but that could lead to him being "Dark Beast" very well, and make this more than a pointless resurrection.

Hmmm... Mastermind's girlfriend looked like Stacy X, and he called her Stacy. I really, really, really, really, couldn't stand her in the 616 comics, but for some reason the way she's being introduced here, doesn't seem that bad to me :)

So, a lot of interesting things I see that could happen from this preview, I'm just not sure if I trust Kirkman enough to do them right :?

I do like the idea of finally picking back up on the Magneto storyline, and that Mystique will be out of prison. I've skipped around UXM a bit, so I was wondering, have there been any hints that she is Nightcrawler's mother?
As BKV said it, she's not the mother (until a writer decides to say so otherwise). That just because they're both blue doesn't mean they have to be related.

I must say the UXM preview was totally decent. My only gripe is that I really don't think Masterminds illusion's should be able to fool cameras. Aren't they supposed to be psychic in nature?

Also, even if they weren't, I feel like the Triskellion should have safety measures in place to detect illusions and such.

Last edited:

I must say the UXM preview was totally decent. My only gripe is that I really don't think Masterminds illusion's should be able to fool cameras. Aren't they supposed to be psychic in nature?

Also, even if they weren't, I feel like the Triskellion should have safety measures in place to detect illusions and such.

I agree but I would really hope that anyone in the brotherhood would be on an equal academic level w/ their powers as those with the X-Men. So I went into it thinking that Mastermind being a senior member being able to manipulate many aspects of the illusion.

I agree but I would really hope that anyone in the brotherhood would be on an equal academic level w/ their powers as those with the X-Men. So I went into it thinking that Mastermind being a senior member being able to manipulate many aspects of the illusion.
I agree. I don't see why it can't be a "step-up" in his powers, and it's not something that's out of left field or dramaticaly done or anything.

read the issue, dropped the title.

Welcome.

Is it really that bad? You made it through Magical and Date Night, but this issue warrants dropping the title? Assuming you're right...the Ultimate line has gone to hell.

Welcome.

Is it really that bad? You made it through Magical and Date Night, but this issue warrants dropping the title? Assuming you're right...the Ultimate line has gone to hell.

I just read a review, and I have to say, worst non death ever,

Basically, Beast did die but was revived in the hospital. He was tricked by Xavier and made believed he was staying in contact with his friends. He works for Shield, cured his blue furry form (How can that be cured? He was implanted with it for Christ's Sake), and right now is working on a cure for the Legacy Virus.

What a load of crap

While not a lot really happens in this book, we get half-a-million hooks of juicy plot goodness to come: the title of the issue is, in fact, exactly what you get.

Summary: We start in the Triskellion, where guys who are on Sinister's suicide-watch duty are getting chewed out for letting him swallow his own shirt. Elsewhere in the facility, Mastermind shows up to relieve Mystique, sets up a TV, DVD player, and his girlfriend Stacy to chill out and pretend to be Magneto while Mystique goes and does impotant mysterious business for Magneto. So Mags is up to something!

We cut over to Xavier mansion, just over 6 weeks after the last issue. There are twenty new students at the mansion, including a youngster whose feelings are hurt because he is being called Grizzly. Scott and Jean are stressed out and looking for more instructors. There is an Irish mutant being sent by Moira MacTaggert that is going to help. Kirkman plays the pronoun game so we are unable to tell this mutant's gender. Most likely Banshee or Siryn. Maybe they won't let Banshee be a man in Ultimate X-men, as a Banshee is, by definition, female, and any Irishman would know that. Also, it is revealed that Toad is now teaching at the Xavier institute. Gerald is mysteriously making...PHONE CALLS!

To EMMA FROST'S BOYFRIEND! We have a mysterious Asian fellow hanging out at the Academy of Tomorrow, talking to COlossus and Northstar, and being introduced as ULTIMATE SHINOBI SHAW!

Nightcrawler finds the Morlocks.

Nova shows up and starts blowing things up!...oops, sorry, advertisement.

And then we cut to a secret science lab in the Triskelion where FUry is talking to a long-haired upside-down fellow who is very pissed about being mind-controled to believe that he has been in contact with family and friends for the last many months. Apparently Xavier had been keeping Beast mind-controlled into contentment because he unexpectadly resussitated after the Sentinal attack. Fury needed to have an A-class mind working on somethings, and so he got Xavier to help him keep McCoy happy. Apparently intelligence reports come out that the group that Stryker's attempt to kill the president with Sentinals was just the beginning and he has, in his control, the Legacy Virus, and Hank has been working on a cure...and he's making progress. Also, he has managed to reverse the blue fur and animal face problems he'd been having, though he hasn't been able to lose the pointy monster teeth.

3-faced boy is running, spouting bunk about the MUTANT LIBERATION FRONT's goal to figure out the TRUE cause of Xavier's death. He then gets blasted by a Sentinal.

Ororo is scared in the dark. It's the SHADOW KING! She wakes up and adds it to her play. As she's writing a knock is at the door. It's Old Bishop who wants her to help him rebuild an X-men team.

Overall, I liked it. That said, I hope that this issue isn't indicative of the future of this book. I hope Kirkman takes each of these "Cliffhangers" and focuses on 1-2 of them at a time in 2-4 issue arcs. All of the jumping around will make it feel like nothing is really progressing very quickly. I also don't want spin-off X-books.

I wanna see this book focused, preferably on Bishop's team of new X-men encountering the number of things going on here, with them eventually opporating with and through the Xavier School. One arc dealing with the Morlocks, the next with the Sentinels, another with the Legacy Virus and reunification with Beast, another with Magneto, etc.

I give it a 3.5/5 for great set-up, lots of plot hooks, and good promise. Don't know how I feel about the art.

The next question: Who will be Bishop's new team? Bishop, Storm, and ?????

Last edited:

I really liked it. So long as all X-books aren't this scattered from here on out.

Seriously......this issued rocked harder than an Air Band!

It wrapped a lot of hanging plotlines as well as opened several more. I've become acustomed to Kirkman's style over the past few months and I gotta say that I'm loving his run. I still miss you BKV........much love. But Kirkman is really shining here. He's giving us interesting stories while still laying down some awesome foundation for future plots........all while not taking away from any of the current momentum.

Beast's return was handled well.....and wasn't some lame *** Dark Beast (for now anyways...). I need to pull up some old Beast threads to see if anyone actually predicted this return properly.

Storm's Shadow King is proving to be more than an Easter Egg.

ULTIMATE SHINOBI SHAW! **** YES! :rockon:

All in all a damn good issue and fine artwork by Oliver. I think UXM has found it's premiere creative team for now.

Seriously......this issued rocked harder than an Air Band!

It wrapped a lot of hanging plotlines as well as opened several more. I've become acustomed to Kirkman's style over the past few months and I gotta say that I'm loving his run. I still miss you BKV........much love. But Kirkman is really shining here. He's giving us interesting stories while still laying down some awesome foundation for future plots........all while not taking away from any of the current momentum.

Beast's return was handled well.....and wasn't some lame *** Dark Beast (for now anyways...). I need to pull up some old Beast threads to see if anyone actually predicted this return properly.

Storm's Shadow King is proving to be more than an Easter Egg.

ULTIMATE SHINOBI SHAW! **** YES! :rockon:

All in all a damn good issue and fine artwork by Oliver. I think UXM has found it's premiere creative team for now.
Seconded.

Latest posts

Back