Ultimate X-Men Annual #1 Discussion (Spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 6 14.0%

Votes: 19 44.2%

Votes: 12 27.9%

Votes: 3 7.0%

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
I also really enjoyed the mention of Black Tom Cassidy as an Irish Arms Dealer who the Fenris Twins got the Gem from. Perhaps this was done to set up a future story-arc involving Juggernaut, perhaps he seeks out Tom to learn more about the Gem or something. Also liked the UFF reference, just another little comment to solidify inter-continuity (despite the Ultimate books being against that...I'm not).

I liked how they're planting the Kitty/Spidey seed even more throughout the X-book. I'm just really excited about the Peter/Kitty thing.

icemastertron said:
Good issue over all. Thought the art was great, and glad to see Juggs. Maybe he overheard about Black Tom and their "relationship" can begin! Well, now we have 100% to any doubters before thinking that Juggernaut wasn't a mutant. I wonder if down the line it will get added in that he's related to Xavier somehow. I know people have said they don't want that, but I do. With Vuaghan, it can work out perfectly.

Loved how Rogue called Bobby and not no one else to talk. And how he still thinks about her making those ice statues of her. Hehe.

4/5 overall. Poll added.

It's a good thing Vaughn's writing the title then, huh?

I thought it was good. But I would like to seen Gambit live a little bit longer, and have fight over Rogue with Ice Man!

icemastertron said:
Two switched letter is better than missing letters, and have it mistaken for someone else. :wink:

If I could understand what you're talking about then <insert smartass coment here>.

I missed one letter, which is a silent "a". It is still pronounced the same way without it.

You flipped around an "a" and a "u" which caused it to be pronounced differently.

There's a difference.

ProjectX2 said:
I missed one letter, which is a silent "a". It is still pronounced the same way without it.

You flipped around an "a" and a "u" which caused it to be pronounced differently.

There's a difference.
I actually wasn't talking about your post. I didnt even notice you were missing a letter. I was really reffering to TGO, and some other guys.

But from what I heard of the name, the "a" isn't silent.

Can you two stop bickering? A man has died here.

An over-rated, over-used cliche of a man! Ha-HA! Lack of respect.

We're not bickering. You're just jealous.

It's strange though. I wouldn't call him VAWAN.

I didn't see if anyone else mentioned it, but the FF crash mention was nice, as was Bobby's Kitty/Spider-Man comments. They are minor, but it's nice to have that cohesion among the books.

I loved the book, if anything, for the last page. Juggs is always nice to see and I have to agree that his Ultimate design is just kick ***. I'm sad to see Gambit "go", but the way it sounded like was Rogue absorbed not only his powers, but his SOUL. The only flaws were Gambit's premature death (Although, unlike Gwen Stacy, I think he can make a comeback plausibly) and the fast pacing. Loved the art, too. Can't wait for Ultimate Secret #3 and #4 with Raney!

I, too, smell an Apocolypse tie-in and that will be the ONLY way I could enjoy Beast and Gambit making their respective returns. Pheonix could work too, I suppose. . .

Good issue all around and it seems to have been written with the continuity nuts in mind. From the Spiderman / Kitty hook up (the Ultimate Six tie was nice) to the FF crashing into Downtown Las Vegas. I'd say that this issue went a long way to tying as many different series (and mini's) together then any other that I've seen to date.

Plus Gambit gets crushed by a falling building for no reason other then to look cool (did it not strike anyone else that there had to have been another way out of that situation then to drop a building onto himself? This is a guy that not only squared off with Wolverine but won (nearly blew the man's head off). While I'm all for killing off Gambit, his death really seemed forced and contrived.

As for bring him back: nah. If I'm not mistaken, this is a similar situation Rogue is in in the 616 universe (ie how she became invulnerable and can fly) just with a different character. And voices...am I incorrect, but hasn't it been said that she actually retains pieces of everyone that she absorbs from? I'm not sure if this is mentioned at all in the UU but I know that she often has difficulty remembering who she is in 616.

The thing with Xavier letting her go makes since to me. It falls in keeping with his let live attitude toward everyone although him saying that he had no idea where she was didn't ring true at all.

Oh, and the mention to Dr Strange seems to be adding wood to the fire that the next title added to the Ultimate line will be Dr Strange / Magick related. I've noticed that he seems to be making an appearance or is mentioned on an increasing basis (yes, slow to be sure but there have been more this year there ever before). I'm betting that his title will manifest by summer of next year.

notTHATtodd said:
The thing with Xavier letting her go makes since to me. It falls in keeping with his let live attitude toward everyone although him saying that he had no idea where she was didn't ring true at all.

Well, it could be seen that Xavier said that to keep Nick Fury/SHIELD away from Rogue.

I gave it a 3 out of 5 because it was a decent story with good art. Nothing really special though. A couple of nitpicks.....

1. Why did Gambit throw the gem at Juggernaut? It doesn't make sense, if you do not believe in magic why would you throw a "useless" crystal. At best for him (Gambit) the gem whould have created an alternate dimesion and sent Juggs there or at worst is what happened.

2. We all know the end is a set-up for Gambit to make a comeback through some sort of spirit transfer, and when they do that, it is going to be bad news bears. (I hate comebacks like that despite being a Star Trek fan, (reference to Star Trek III)

3. Sinister 6 could power own the X-Men. :wink:

The things I liked..

1. Many of the things mades sense. Rogue and Gambit stealing from Fernis to stop them. Juggernaut obsessing over Rogue (seriously Juggs comes from a broken home and Rogue is probably the only women that has ever shown any type of "positive" affection for him).

2. Gambit for the most part being infective against Juggernaut (I would have liked to see him do better in the begining before the gem was inserted to show more of difference but o well). Juggernaut should be, for the most part, be that "unstoppable". It's his thing.

3. Left me wanting more (except for Gambit's return via soul transfer).

On another note, I liked this more than I have been liking Magnetic North.

Welcome!

Hussefell said:
1. Why did Gambit throw the gem at Juggernaut? It doesn't make sense, if you do not believe in magic why would you throw a "useless" crystal. At best for him (Gambit) the gem whould have created an alternate dimesion and sent Juggs there or at worst is what happened.

I don't think it had anything to do with whether or not he belived it was magic. I think it was just something handy that he could charge up and toss at him to explode and hurt/damage/kill him.

Havent read this issue yet, sounds pretty good. To be honest though, I LOVED gambit in the reg. 616 universe, but I couldnt stand him in the Ultimates....glad to see he was offed...maybe they will bring him back, cool...

I've not read it either, and I've never liked Gambit. He's just pure cheese.

A character for the ladies, no, a character for housewives... "soccer moms".

Wouldn't be surprised if they made a sunday evening show about him in soft focus.

Sounds Cool

My comic shop was sold out and I really want to read it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back