Ultimate X-Men Annual #1 Discussion (Spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 6 14.0%

Votes: 19 44.2%

Votes: 12 27.9%

Votes: 3 7.0%

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
eatinsloppyjoes said:
My idea is that Rogue now has no reason to stay away from the x-men and needs the prof.s help for her new powers.
Yeah, she'd probably decide to come back soon, but not TOO soon.

eatinsloppyjoes said:
Also, am i the ONLY one who noticed that Gambit also touched the gem, and if it has the same powers as 616 universe than Gambit and Juggernaut are invulnerable.

Just some speculation.
Interesting. You are the first one to bring that thought up. Now, it would depend on the writer, too. But they could probably work something out.

icemastertron said:
Yeah, she'd probably decide to come back soon, but not TOO soon.

Interesting. You are the first one to bring that thought up. Now, it would depend on the writer, too. But they could probably work something out.

I don't know about that invulnerability there. Gambit's body was picked up by SHIELD. That's what Iceman said, anyway.

eatinsloppyjoes said:
Also, am i the ONLY one who noticed that Gambit also touched the gem, and if it has the same powers as 616 universe than Gambit and Juggernaut are invulnerable.

I wasn't aware of that either. Interesting.

Goodwill said:
I don't know about that invulnerability there. Gambit's body was picked up by SHIELD. That's what Iceman said, anyway.
Maybe not invulnerability. Maybe it's an upgrade of whatever powers they have in the first place.

Maybe what the gem did for Gambit is he's able to hold a longer charging period for whatever he's touched. It's a stretch but something like that. That's why Rogue still has trouble turning him off.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Maybe what the gem did for Gambit is he's able to hold a longer charging period for whatever he's touched. It's a stretch but something like that. That's why Rogue still has trouble turning him off.

Would the amount of time Rogue touches somebody be a variable to any of it? Because, yeah, it's a comic book, you can't really guage time unless if it's noted, but that kiss could be seen as lasting longer than a peck, so maybe the length for which she kissed him could also be why she can't "turn him off"?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Maybe not invulnerability. Maybe it's an upgrade of whatever powers they have in the first place.
Good thinking. The only reason why Juggs got more powerful and really invulnerable, was because he already had that power, just not at the quantity he has it now. So for Gambit, it might play a similar way.

yeah but the difference is that Gambit only touched the gem. Juggernaut got the bloody thing blasted into his head. Thats why Juggernaut got the powers. Didnt the gem disappear after it went into his head? Im sure many people would have touched that gem

Nurhachi said:
yeah but the difference is that Gambit only touched the gem. Juggernaut got the bloody thing blasted into his head. Thats why Juggernaut got the powers. Didnt the gem disappear after it went into his head? Im sure many people would have touched that gem
True, but it doesn't mean the writers can't work it out in Gambit's favor, too.

eatinsloppyjoes said:
My idea is that Rogue now has no reason to stay away from the x-men and needs the prof.s help for her new powers.

Just some speculation.

If that was going to happen next, Rogue wouldn't have bothered saying goodbye to Bobby.

I see this as the Ultimized version of Rogue's first experience of permanently gaining someone's powers. There's no Ultimate Ms. Marvel (just Carol Danvers), and the fact that there's a possibility that it's not just Gambit's powers that she absorbed from him has a greater impact to her and to the readers.

IMO, I would have bought Gambit's sacrifice if Juggernaut badly beaten him. But he was still rather healthy when he decided to bring the building down and could have the strength to escape. Maybe he's just desparate to keep Juggernaut's hands away from Rogue since he knows the Juggy has the hots for Rogue and God knows what he would do next to her once Gambit's out of the picture.

Last edited:
I give this 4 1/2 stars.

What I didn't like:

- Gambits dead!!!
- The first pages (with the x-men) seemed like so much filler.
- Ultimate Juggernauts outfit looks like something a gay stripper would wear.
- How come when the building fell down Gambit was still awake but Juggernaut wasn't?
- How come Gambit didn't run after he threw the cards?
- Errr... What happened with the gem? Did Juggernaut absorb it? How come it didn't explode after Gambit charged it? Did he charge it?
- How did Rogue permanantly absorb Gambits powers? Maybe the reason he died was because she absorbed all his energy!!

What I did like:

- Raney's awesome art.
- Good fight scene.
- VERY good dynamic between Rogue and Gambit.
- I thought it was just a good story period.

Notes:

- I like everyone else noticed a huge (bigger than pretty much any other character death) opportunity for him being revived. Explanations include: Apocolypse making him a horseman, the gem keeping him alive, he's in a sheild prison. What's funny is that the ultimate universe is pretty against reviving characters, but marvel just makes up crackpot explanations in 616, which really make no sense. (Magneto?)
- I don't get how people are against a cliched character, these are also known as archetypes, and are in pretty much in everyform of media out there. Star wars was one big archetype. Cyclops is an archetype, as was Jean before she kindof got fleshed out. Emma Frost is a pretty big archetype as well. (Another star wars reference: See Mara Jade, they're the same person.) Archetypes have their place and gambit is an Archetype very well done. Ultimate Gambit wasn't even an Archetype so much though, (why do I keep capitalizing archetype?) his character had awesome potential, and he was only as "useless," as anyother new undeveloped potential.

"Cheers!!"

Goodwill said:

That is true, but Gambit is a theif, and it has been hinted that there are somethings in his past he's not too proud of.. Maybe somethings that got the attention of Sheild...... could all of this be a big ploy by Gambit, he touched the Crystal, gained some invulnrabilitie, and then kissed rogue cause he Knew that Sheild was their.....hence He escaped Sheild custody, with his mind imprinted in Rogues mind....... so now he could guid Rogue into stealing his body back from Sheild........ I just came up with this and as you can tell I have not thought it out to well...... but it's an Idea

SephirothsKiller said:
What I didn't like:

- Gambits dead!!!
Maybe, maybe not.

SephirothsKiller said:
Why call it an Ultimate X-MEN Annual, and not have them appear? :wink:

SephirothsKiller said:
Hmm....You're right. But the helmet's cool!!!!

SephirothsKiller said:
- How come when the building fell down Gambit was still awake but Juggernaut wasn't?
They were focusing on Gambit.

SephirothsKiller said:
Cuz he was stupid enough to stay. But in all seriousness, I would say it's because Vaughan needed a way for Gambit to "die", so he had him stay.

SephirothsKiller said:
- Errr... What happened with the gem? Did Juggernaut absorb it? How come it didn't explode after Gambit charged it? Did he charge it?
Looks like Juggernaut absorbed it. It didnt explode after Gambit charged it because it explodes on contact.

SephirothsKiller said:
- How did Rogue permanantly absorb Gambits powers? Maybe the reason he died was because she absorbed all his energy!!
Because that's how her powers work. If she stays touching someone too long, she aborbs their power permantly.

SephirothsKiller said:
- Raney's awesome art.
Yes it is.

SephirothsKiller said:
- Good fight scene.
It was good.

SephirothsKiller said:
Wish there could be more. It was done really well.

SephirothsKiller said:
The story was ok. Juggernaut's obession with Rogue was "meh". What really boosted the issue's 'rating' for me was the art.

Last edited:
SephirothsKiller said:
I give this 4 1/2 stars.

What I didn't like:

- Gambits dead!!!

What I did like:

- Raney's awesome art.
- Good fight scene.

Notes:

- I like everyone else noticed a huge (bigger than pretty much any other character death) opportunity for him being revived. Explanations include: Apocolypse making him a horseman, the gem keeping him alive, he's in a sheild prison. What's funny is that the ultimate universe is pretty against reviving characters, but marvel just makes up crackpot explanations in 616, which really make no sense. (Magneto?)
- I don't get how people are against a cliched character, these are also known as archetypes, and are in pretty much in everyform of media out there. Star wars was one big archetype. Cyclops is an archetype, as was Jean before she kindof got fleshed out. Emma Frost is a pretty big archetype as well. (Another star wars reference: See Mara Jade, they're the same person.) Archetypes have their place and gambit is an Archetype very well done. Ultimate Gambit wasn't even an Archetype so much though, (why do I keep capitalizing archetype?) his character had awesome potential, and he was only as "useless," as anyother new undeveloped potential.

"Cheers!!"

Welcome! :twisted: Good thoughts.

VegtableMan said:
That is true, but Gambit is a theif, and it has been hinted that there are somethings in his past he's not too proud of.. Maybe somethings that got the attention of Sheild...... could all of this be a big ploy by Gambit, he touched the Crystal, gained some invulnrabilitie, and then kissed rogue cause he Knew that Sheild was their.....hence He escaped Sheild custody, with his mind imprinted in Rogues mind....... so now he could guid Rogue into stealing his body back from Sheild........ I just came up with this and as you can tell I have not thought it out to well...... but it's an Idea

I like that. Rogue picks up Gambit's skill and uses them to break into SHIELD. I wonder if this will crossover with the Magnetic North Arc.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Welcome! :twisted: Good thoughts.

I like that. Rogue picks up Gambit's skill and uses them to break into SHIELD. I wonder if this will crossover with the Magnetic North Arc.

Could be an interesting addition to the arc, but I don't think we'll see Rogue again for awhile. Though I'm sure Singer will bring her back into the title sometime during his run.

icemastertron said:
Because that's how her powers work. If she stays touching someone too long, she aborbs their power permantly.

Yeah, but what I'm wondering is why she would have touched him long enough to fully absorb his powers? Isn't the only reason that she didn't kill Ms. Marvel because she (Ms. Marvel) was invunerable in the first place? Maybe Gambit wouldn't have died if Rogue didn't suck out all of his life force. She does have a history (in every other version of X-men.) of going overboard when somewhen says to kiss her.

Just some more thoughts...

I'm really hopeing that it's 50/50. I was actually discussing Rogue's powers with a guy at the college today. It sucks that she can hold someone's powers for so long or her 2nd mutations is so cheap. I hope that the reason she's got Gambit "in her" is because he gives energy just as much as she absorbs it. If that makes any sense.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm really hopeing that it's 50/50. I was actually discussing Rogue's powers with a guy at the college today. It sucks that she can hold someone's powers for so long or her 2nd mutations is so cheap. I hope that the reason she's got Gambit "in her" is because he gives energy just as much as she absorbs it. If that makes any sense.
It does make sense.......makes me think a little more

Latest posts

Back