Ultimate X-Men Annual #2 Discussion (Spoilers!)

the watcher said:
Well Nightcrawler must get well by the Ultimates 2 #12 or #13. Because he was on that cover we saw. So we should be seeing more on how in the next few arcs. I'd like to see how they resolved this...

But for now, I did like this one. I give it a 4.2/5
Dont forget USM annual takes place after Ultimates 2

Nightcrawler is both more bad *** and psycho. I'm not sure if I like him more now or not.

3/5

Random said:
Dont forget USM annual takes place after Ultimates 2

It was? I thought it was after Deadpool and before Clone Saga.

I was also hoping both USM and UXM would at least deal a little bit with the Liberators, after all they were captured so I would like to see those battles and how they deal with coming out of America being conquered by a foreign power.

Foolsfolly said:
I was also hoping both USM and UXM would at least deal a little bit with the Liberators, after all they were captured so I would like to see those battles and how they deal with coming out of America being conquered by a foreign power.

Those issues will come.

It's been said many times before---the writers of each series will address the events of U2.....AFTER Millar/Hitch finish their run. All of the writers are loving what Millar/Hitch are doing and don't wanna ruin anything that could happen.

The Annuals are merely the exception. But the rest of the UU is waiting to catch up with U2 event.

Re: Got that new Ultimate X-Men Annual #2... Let's Talk!! <Spoilers>

McCheese said:
It was a huge shift. He still had that support network, he still had friends on the team. This creepy crazy kidnapper thing comes out of left field. Some sign of mental instability prior to this might have made it better, but he just went wacko because of the Weapon X thing NOW? He barely ever mentioned it was bugging him and he never seemed all that haunted by it.

Right now in Québec, the media are covering extensively the death of two teenagers. After 24 hours, double murder has been ruled out which leaves a double suicide pact or a murder / suicide combo as the only solution and the cops say they believe at this point it's double suicide.

Every friends interviewed tearfully reject the suicide and insist they were murdered even though it makes no sense given the circumstances (Found in the middle of a field, gun belonged to father of one children, no sexual assault, no robbery and I'm gonna go on a limb and say the undisclosed evidence include fingerprints of both teens on the weapons but no one elses, gunpowder traces on their hands and no traces of anyone else being present on this wheat field (which is hard to do unless there really was no one else present) )

Bottom line, the friends don't wan't to believe it. They insist they would have seen it coming. They seemed happy. Why would they do it? etc.

Sometime people just snap.

Night Crawler had the background to explain his actions. The only 'problem' to this on a narrative POV is that he seemed to have been handling it all fine. Well, not so well after all. He suddenly loses his two closest friends (and when have you seen him to be friendly with anyone else on the team beside Warren and Colossus?) and boom, he snaps.

Kirkman didn't have to do it. Night Crawler could have remained a teflon kid (Someone who goes through horrible abuse but mysteriously seems to bear no scar from it) but the author chose instead to have him brutally snap which can also be defended given the facts. Post-Traumatism sometimes take a while before being triggered in full force.

Last edited:
the watcher said:
Well Nightcrawler must get well by the Ultimates 2 #12 or #13. Because he was on that cover we saw. So we should be seeing more on how in the next few arcs. I'd like to see how they resolved this...

But for now, I did like this one. I give it a 4.2/5

ULTMTSV2012.jpg

Remember the Liberators did take the X-Men into custody so they were probably forced to wake Kurt up from his psychic coma... And maybe him taking action in Ultimates #12 is how the team comes to redeem him for his troubles in the Annual.

Wow, that is an aweful story. Maybe the friends didn't know the kids as well as they thought. But yeah, I love Nightcrawler and I'm glad that they put focus on him.

Victor Von Doom said:
Those issues will come.

It's been said many times before---the writers of each series will address the events of U2.....AFTER Millar/Hitch finish their run. All of the writers are loving what Millar/Hitch are doing and don't wanna ruin anything that could happen.

The Annuals are merely the exception. But the rest of the UU is waiting to catch up with U2 event.
And also last years USM annual did come into continuity until that December, and I suspect because of reasons quoted above there will be continuity problems due to the lateness of U2

I liked the annual but I now do not like how they're portraying Nightcrawler. I thought the whole "oh look his intentions are actually evil" deal is getting old with these guys. I like Kurt's innocence with the role-playing and such and now because of this we get to see he's not really that great of a guy. What a let down.

Rogue's back to normal!! :D *thumbs up*

Gambit is out of her head and still dead :( *thumbs down*

Rogue's back to normal!! :D

So they went out of their way to let us know how the Magician bites it early. I don't mind spoilers but this wasn't subtle or anything... geez...

More Xavier barking that makes him look like a dick. I would rather see it come out of nowhere then this behavior. What I mean is we know Cable's gonna shake things up with him but it would be more dramatic if Xavier was a fully likeable character.

Nice "Mystique" story but what's with the photos of Cyclops and Jean?

4/5

Wow...pretty extreme re-take on Nightcrawler, and definitely not what I was expecting....

3/5

Just read it last night.I enjoyed it. It was kinda weird to see NightCrawler freak out like that. At first I was like what the hell is he talking about? Makes things a little more interesting and the team keeps on losing members.

I just got this yesterday...AWESOME. I really enjoyed seeing this take on NC, it makes sense given his background/mutation.

4/5

Best Annual.
I pity Nightcrawler, the guy was all alone all this years treated like a monster and a weapon. =(
He has a lot more depth then before, I really hope he doesnt get killed by Cable

PuertoRock33 said:
Just read it last night.I enjoyed it. It was kinda weird to see NightCrawler freak out like that. At first I was like what the hell is he talking about? Makes things a little more interesting and the team keeps on losing members.

With the team losing members does anyone think that cable may assemble the X-Force or something from the renegade X teens? It be kinda cool with three X teams running around. Xaviers School for gifted youngsters, Frost's school of tomorrow, and possibly cables team. Just a suggestion dont jump down my throat.

Ultimate Cap 4 President said:
With the team losing members does anyone think that cable may assemble the X-Force or something from the renegade X teens? It be kinda cool with three X teams running around. Xaviers School for gifted youngsters, Frost's school of tomorrow, and possibly cables team. Just a suggestion dont jump down my throat.
I think Kirkman has already said he won't be forming a team. Not jumping down your throat, I had a similar idea when I heard about Ultimate Cable.

Ultimate Cap 4 President said:

SHUTUP UR WORNG!!!

j/k:wink: , actually not a bad idea. I could see some members (angel, rogue, wolvie, magician?) itching for a team not led by xavier or frost.

Ultimate MJ said:
SHUTUP UR WORNG!!!

j/k:wink: , actually not a bad idea. I could see some members (angel, rogue, wolvie, magician?) itching for a team not led by xavier or frost.
Actually I think that
Magician is dead because in the annual Wolvie was saying that the kid was attacking them and I think he killed him because he didn't want to have another death on Jean's conscience

Yeah, Magicians death is defintely implied. But after Walking Dead 30, I'm not willing to take Kirkmans stories at face value - He seems to like surprises. Anyways, we'll know soon enough!

This has got to be the most deceiving cover ever made. Great story with a new take on Ultimate Nightcrawler. It may have come a little unexpected, but it makes sense especially with Kurt's past and gradual transformation into a social recluse. Looks like Dazzler's near-death experience and Colossus' revelation caused him to snap. I'm also thinking his homophobia makes more sense, since being trained by bigots, it is not surprising that mutants aren't the only ones the Weapon X guys hated. The cute cat story may have been unnecessary but it's a bonus (and good exercise for Yu who's still waiting for Lindelof to get off his *** and finish his book) so why bother complaining about that?

Taking Nightcrawler out of the action seems to be Kirkman's weird decision to emulate some events of X-Men 3. Kurt's codename is even 'X3'.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back