Ultimate X-Men: Apocalypse (#90-93)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #91 discussion (spoilers!)

I really wish they'd keep Kirkman on longer.

I like that they've really set up Apocalypse to be a pretty big threat--maybe the biggest they've ever faced.

I do, however, want to know where the heck Magneto and the Brotherhood are--if he needs mean mutant heavies to start attacking people, they would be some good ones to tap into.

I am amused by the continuity in this issue--making it concurrent with or closely following Ultimates 3 with references to the Iron Man Sex Tape. How Wolverine fits in with all of it is strange...especially since we still havn't seen any references in UXM to Grand Theft America.

I really wish they'd keep Kirkman on longer.

I like that they've really set up Apocalypse to be a pretty big threat--maybe the biggest they've ever faced.

I do, however, want to know where the heck Magneto and the Brotherhood are--if he needs mean mutant heavies to start attacking people, they would be some good ones to tap into.

I am amused by the continuity in this issue--making it concurrent with or closely following Ultimates 3 with references to the Iron Man Sex Tape. How Wolverine fits in with all of it is strange...especially since we still havn't seen any references in UXM to Grand Theft America.

I'm glad to see Kirkman leaving. He's far too inconstant. I liked the issue, I do wish this arc was longer and that Loeb didn't take up the Brotherhood sub-plot Kirkman was building since the Cable arc.

And speaking of the Cable arc, issue one of that arc (UXM 75) has a reference to Grand Theft America. In the danger room, Wolverine and Storm fight the Liberators for a few pages.

This is probably one of the better arcs on UXM recently. I enjoyed it. I wish ultimate apocalypse looked a little less like 616 apocalypse. If apocalypse is just Sinister reborn as apocalypse, where did the armor come from? Technically shouldn't apocalypse still look like Sinister?

Who were the 2 guys who show up at the end?

wow. ign rated this issue 1.8 out of 10. lol. Still, i am going to read it just cause its apocalypse and all.

Didn't they also rate Ultimates 3 #1 like an 8 or 9? If so, I can't really take their ratings with any level of seriousness.

I think they rated it at 3-5. Still 1.8 for this, much too harsh. It's still hella enjoyable than U3, and they gave the 3rd issue a 3.8.

So, I'm confused. What did you guys like about this issue?

'cuz to me, all I saw was terrible dialogue (not just from Apocalypse. from, uuhh... pretty much everyone), thin excuses to throw in other Ultimate Universe characters, and zero plot progression. Oh no! Apocalypse wants to kill everyone and rule the world!

I'm just curious about where you guys found enjoyment, because I can't find it.

Last edited:

Cool-so this is how Cable/Wolverine may lose his powers:

Apocalypse steals mutant powers. Every mutant he encounters makes him more powerful. Fury releases the Legacy virus, which is meant to take away mutant powers, limiting Apocalypse's access to powers. The virus mutates and kills many mutants rather than just taking their powers. Wolverine survives but loses his powers. Bishop lives because he's in prison, removed from the general population. Eventually, they come up with a vaccine, which won't restore robbed powers, but will certainly keep you from losing your powers. The handful of remaining mutants/supers develop ways to fight Apocalypse, including suits that keep Apocalypse from being able to steal their powers.

In the next few issues, we'll see Fury consider releasing the Legacy virus in the face of Apocalypse, the return of Cable and Professor X in anti-Apocalypse suits, along with the Legacy vaccine, and the big showdown, preventing the dark future ahead.

Pretty sharp. Good catch.

liked this issue.

LOVED Sue Storm saying the Ultimates are probably to busy making another sex-tape. :lol::lol::lol:

Me too! :D

So, I'm confused. What did you guys like about this issue?

'cuz to me, all I saw was terrible dialogue (not just from Apocalypse. from, uuhh... pretty much everyone), thin excuses to throw in other Ultimate Universe characters, and zero plot progression. Oh no! Apocalypse wants to kill everyone and rule the world!

I'm just curious about where you guys found enjoyment, because I can't find it.

I thought it sucked. It was rushed, the dialogue and actions were childish. Apocalypse's power is uninteresting in that it's a) far too powerful and b) binary. It either works or doesn't. It doesn't scale. Also - it creates plot holes such as "why doesn't he use it immediately?" There's no reason for the fight.

Also - it seems Professor X is now Onslaught. Which is kinda cool, but also kinda annoying. I don't like seeing Onslaught ultimized so quickly because of the whole "stripmining" effect the Ultimate universe is plunging into.

So - I thought it was pretty poo. Some really nice concepts, but rushed to such a point that it's nigh farcical.

I think they rated it at 3-5. Still 1.8 for this, much too harsh. It's still hella enjoyable than U3, and they gave the 3rd issue a 3.8.

My mistake. I know several online sites I can remember reviewed it on the positive side. No 10s, but some reviews were far too favorable.

I haven't read the issue yet, but from summaries I've read it seems to deserve a much higher review than a 1.8--I mean thats quite harsh. I wonder if and how they'll rate Ultimates 3 #3 which just came out this week. Like you said, I'm sure UXM was night and day better than Ultimates 3. The weakest issue ever of UXM is an award winning piece of work compared to Ultimates 3.

Anyway, reviews of this issue itself (UXM #91) have been lukewarm at best. I'll chime in with my official review once I read it, but I'm not expecting much from it.

Apocalypse felt so unoriginal to me.

I hope Kirkman can improve him in two issues, but I'm not optimistic.

Of course it's rushed. It's four issues long. We're half way done with Apoc's big debut and that kinda angers me, since this Apoc doesn't seem....like a villain you can easily repeat. If he fails, why? His powers make him win, if he goes "NEXT TIME, GADGET!" on us and retreats....why?

Still, wasn't all that bad but like most of Kirkman's run...it should have been far better.

It was too rushed but I still enjoyed this issue.

The problem is the last issue was terrible and than the next one is decent and every once in awhile is a good issue.

It's not constant.

This just feels like such an unoriginal take on Apocalypse.

I hope he does something uniquely cool soon.

I thought this was better than U3 03. At least there was a semblance of a plot progression (insipid and worthless as it was) in the Ultimates issue. UXM was twenty pages of Sinister proving he can count, and all the different Ultimate heroes telling each other they're sorry for attacking each other. Just... worthless.... I mean, we can talk about how Kirkman didn't have "enough space" to tell the story, but that's bull****. He has more than enough space to tell the story. Otherwise, something would have happened in this issue.

Last edited:

It was better than it has been the last few issues. Every page that Angel doesn't get resurrected makes me nervous.

Re: Ultimate X-Men #90 discussion (spoilers!)

are you guys sure that that's cable and professor X coming back? My first thoughts were magneto in a pimped out new suit and Stryfe.

Issue was pretty lackluster for the introduction of Apoc, I was hoping for something more grand...hopefully the introduction of the 10 horseman will add some punch to the story. Hoping for a big finish in Ultimatum!

Re: Ultimate X-Men #90 discussion (spoilers!)

Pretty sure it's Xavier and Cable.

Ultimate X-Men #93 discussion (spoilers!)

Well it's only two unfinished pages, but it's something.

Page 1-3:

01.jpg

ultimatexmen932.jpg

Proof that Xavier is Onslaught.

Source: Comics Continuum

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back