Ultimates 2 #12, cover and solicitation revealed on Joe Friday's

From somewhere (here in a thread, maybe) I got the impression that Loeb had been quoted as saying he wouldn't be using Hawkeye. Does anyone know the source of that quote?

I admit I liked the 616 character and also like the Ultimate one (though they are VERY different). I'm not looking forward to the coming Hawkeye stuff in 616, so I'd hoped to at least have the Ultimate version to read about...

Re: Ultimates V2 #12, cover and solicit

E.Vi.L. said:
Your other point makes sense but this seems dubious.

Hulk killed almost a thousand people. There's not a lot that can be done to redeem his image. Being pardoned is about the best Bruce/Hulk can hope and even that would be borderline.

No team of public defender can have a mass murderer on the payroll walking freely.
...Wolverine...

iceman said:
Speaking of which, I bet Hulk'll be smart in issue 12. And that's how he beats Abomination. Abomination will be doing his Millar villain rant "Oh, why don't you just give up! Can't you see, you moron, you cannot beat me!" and Hulk will be like "Hello yourself, Logan." ONLY IT WILL BE TO THE ABOMINATION!

All in all, I think this book will make a pretty good January 2007.

Abomination: You see Banner, you can't possibly win for I retain my intellect
Hulk: Hulk ripp your tail off now
Abomination: Wait what? AHHHH!!!!
Hulk: Hulk better than dumb foriegner.

Rhyo said:
The covers in on Newsarama, here

The solicit:

ULTIMATES 2 #12
Written by MARK MILLAR
Pencils & Cover by BRYAN HITCH
GRAND THEFT AMERICA
This is it! The double-sized finale! America strikes back against the Liberators, as ace artist Bryan Hitch draws every single super hero in the Ultimate Universe in combat to free the United States! Plus: the true fate of Thor, the return of the Defenders, and every major plotline from the Ultimates (since its inception) comes together at last. If ever there was a big one you should not miss...Ultimates 2 #12 is it! If you do but one thing with your life: read this comic! And don't forget -this cataclysmic story leads straight into Ultimates 3 #1, coming soon!
Part 6 (of 6). 48 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

Gah. Just what I did NOT want to see, a mega crossover. Oh, well....

Ehh, I can see your point, but it isn't a surprise. We got word awhile ago we'd be seeing most of the Ultimate Marvel crew showing up in the finale awhile ago. I look at it this way: 1.) Story-wise, at least the FF, X-Men, and Spidey showing up to help isn't necessary in terms of driving out the Liberators and their army... 2.) Still, I hope (and think) Millar will keep their involvement as minimal as possible and we'll mainly be seeing them in a splash-page or two, with little involvement in the story other than as support...especially since that cover implies the Hulk will be showing up as well... 3.) Thats a beautiful drawing of the entire Ultimate universe, by far the best cover or drawing so far (at least that I've seen) showcasing the entire (at least the ongoings) casts.

So...I can't really complain. But I do see where you're coming from, whether you read the Ultimate titles or not, the Ultimates previously had a nice little sense of self-containment...at least in their own title (as God knows they've been in many a crossover mini and shown up in every other ongoing more than a few times). We'll see how it turns out. But I'm loving that cover.

Ultimate Warrior said:
:shock: I love that cover!
I won't comment on the crossover part until I read it.

Ditto.

E.Vi.L. said:
Nice. So we'll see for sure at least a cameo of the other superheroes. Can't wait.

The only one I'm suspicious about is Hulk ; He's on the cover but if he's in the story, how does that fit with what we're seeing in Hulk VS Wolverine?

The Wolverine vs. Hulk mini takes place immediately after the Ultimates Annual and before and during the Grand Theft America arc in Ultimates 2. It'll definitly end before the conclusion of Ultimates 2, that much we're sure of to account for Hulk's showing up here, and my theory that the Hulk who will probably dues ex machina his way into the finale will be a smarter, more in control version, like we saw beginning in the early issues of Ultimates 2. Xavier's sessions with Banner apparently helped him gain some control over not only his anger, but his control of the Hulk. We saw evidence in both the Annual and in the Wolverine vs. Hulk mini. And I guess it answers the question as to whether or not Logan could kill Hulk...though no big surprise.

Anyway, look at the timeline!! It'll place everything for you.

marvelman said:
I love it, and its just the way to deal with a huge takeover. I am CERTAIN that the focus will remain on the Ultimates, and that all the other heroes will be fighting in the background (with a quote here or there), but this is supposed to be 48 pages, or something, and it will be huge and GLORIOUS. I am 1000% sure that this will be one of the most fun comics I will ever read.

AND GOD I LOVE THAT COVER!!!!!!!!!

it is my wallpaper.

I fully agree (and hope).

TheManWithoutFear said:
So if the entire Ultimate Universe is behind... and Wolverine Vs. Hulk happens before or during the current Deadpool arc, I guess it will make sense with Hulk returning. The only thing I don't like about this mess is that continuity is going to get continually worse because we're gonna have these stories that take place "before" something that's already out.

Very true. I can only promise I'll do my best to get it as right as possible...but I'm dreading it in that sense.

Rhyo said:
The poor Defenders didn't get a cover cameo! Unless they are in this issue to be Northstar/Alpha Flight whatever fodder....

True.

Also missings - Black Widow (yeah, okay),

Whew!

Hank Pym,

He's probably busy...

Nick Fury

I guess there'll be no two-handed brandishing of automatic rifles on Fury's part in this issue. Of course, maybe Fury's injury resulting in him not being in the fight is meant to symbolize the Ultimates' divorce from SHIELD.

#11 is supposed to be 38 pages (last I head) and #12 is 48 pages - so we have titanic fight scene AND resolution of every plot thread ever?

That's what they're saying.

moonmaster said:
:drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

I CAN'T WAIT! This is going to be the best issue of any Ultimate comic. EVER. I can feel it. And that cover kicks major *** (though I did notice that Hitch's artwork loses some of its fine details when he draws that many characters).

He's positioned kind of strangely. I think when Hitch draws Spider-Man he ends up suffering from that "too realistic" problem that's been talked about before. The more realistic Spidey is drawn, the stranger looking his body positions will look. I've seen that in Hitch's other Spidey drawings.

You can kind of see that in the Spider-Man movies...even if a lot is CGI they still gave it a very real sense of physics and didn't stretch the means of human anatomy beyond believability...which is something a comic usually does the exact opposite of. Not bad at all, just different in my opinion.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Where's Daredevil?

He took the wrong bus...you know, he couldn't read the destination sign on it...because he's blind.

E said:
Bee-yooo-tee-ful cover.

Hulk - interesting. Wonder what that means for Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk, because it sure seemed implied that Hulk isn't heard from (at least publically) after the bomb goes off to when Wolverine finds him in Tibet.

Just look at the damn timeline...I'm right...trust me. ;)

As for Spider-Man - when I see that I see the same thing as when Hitch drew him early in vol. 1 of Ultimates - he looks bulkier and older than when Bagley draws him; like he's more muscular than a 15 year old kid should be, even with super powers.

Thats exactly it. Good call.

E.Vi.L. said:
Hey, this is a year later. He's 16 by then!

Pffffftttt!!! Peter Parker doesn't age...ppsshhaaaahh!!

TheManWithoutFear said:
Are you ignoring me? No one even acknowledged what I said in the USM thread and this further prooves it. The end of Hulk Vs. Wolverine happens somewhere before the GTA arc starts.

Yes, it does. I've been saying that in the timeline thread for like 3 months.

Ice said:
Everything is before GTA starts. :wink:

Yup, just about. Except the Ultimates Annual #2, that takes place after, but you already knew that.

jtg3885 said:
Or it happens during GTA, and Hulk and Wolverine show up to help their respective groups (Wolverine helps lead the counterattack at Xavier's and Hulk eats some of the Liberators).

I'm thinking it ends sometime early on in GTA (the first issue probably), to give Hulk and Wolverine enough time to at least be in the area...you know, since in the mini they're in Tibet and ****.

Ice said:
Yeah, I didn't see that just until now...

hehehe...

:)

Its because of posts like this that Ice's count is so high...God, man!!

Rhyo said:
Which Rhyo is STILL cranky about, thank you very much.

I doubt that all of those people will have a huge role - or even relly be in the same place at the same time - but I want to see all of my Ultimates in action under Millar and Hitch. Everyone else can go get their own book or something...

:lol:

Goodwill said:
This looks mind blowing. You've heard me say that I think the Ultimates are entirely overrated, but I may be picking this one up... If only because it leads into Ultimates 3, which I'm looking forward to.

You say **** like that just to **** with peoples' heads, don't you?

Lynx said:
. . .

WOW.

I'm. . .speechless.

That cover is the embodiment of why I read the Ultimate Universe.

EDIT: To comment about Hulk.

First, several things have been leading me to believe that we are going to be seing Smart Hulk for the time being.

1. The end of Wolverine vs Hulk #2, where Hulk speaks intellegently to Wolverine.
2. The cover of Wolverine vs Hulk #4, where we see Wolverine and Hulk ready to punce on an off-cover adversary.
3. The sketch of Ultimates 3 Hulk.
4. THIS COVER.

I think the conclusion to Wolveine vs Hulk happens shortly before these last issues begin, and Wolverine and Hulk will come back into battle to help save the day.

I also think that Hulk will now be a permanant member of the Ultimates if they break from SHIELD.

Lynx has been paying attention.

E.Vi.L. said:
Your other point makes sense but this seems dubious.

Hulk killed almost a thousand people. There's not a lot that can be done to redeem his image. Being pardoned is about the best Bruce/Hulk can hope and even that would be borderline.

No team of public defender can have a mass murderer on the payroll walking freely.

You do make a good point. But what if you not only played a very large part in saving the world from aliens, but also in saving America from foreign invaders? Even then it might be a stretch...but they could always try to be secretive about it and only try to use Hulk when needed...though that probably wouldn't end well.

Lynx said:
You mean a publicly-known traitor (Captain America), two terrorists (Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch) and a psychiatric patient (Thor) are ok, though?

Also excellent points. Its all suspect anyway since they'll probably be independently financed by Tony.

Ice said:
Captain America isn't really a traitor.

Thor is still up in the air about his true origin.

Quicksilver and SW aren't on the "Public Team".

And the public doesn't know any of that.

Touche!

Lynx said:
The public thinks Cap is a traitor. It was on the news.

Thor was detained, publically, because he was a certified nutcase.

I think Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are now known as being on the public team. They've been on missions that were broadcasted on television.

Not to mention, I was responding to what the public would think of the Hulk being on the Ultimates 3 roster, since Scarlet Witch, Cap and (presumably) Thor will be on the team.

This conversation is like a tennis match!

UltimateSpiderBuggy said:
I could easily see Hulk coming back to help with this and then disappearing again. That would probably be the best solution, I'm not expecting an ongoing Hulk series or regular appearances by Hulk in the ultimate universe. I think it's worked well as they've handled it so far and I imagine they'll keep on handling it like that.

I agree.

iceman said:
it's not so much a misdrawing as it is you nitpicking about something he couldn't have helped.

i think spidey looks good. i wasn't aware that spider-man's poses were supposed to be attainable by a normal person. because then he wouldn't be the most acrobatic person in the damn world. he'd be an olympic gymnast. if i have a problem with spider-man, it's that he's too buff. i've always thought that spidey should look like he's a skinny nerd until he's like 25. real lean, sure, but not buff.

i wish hawkeye had more prominence.

and yeah, i shizzat my pizzants when i saw this cover. and i'm kinda glad it's a crossover thing, if i read that right. i want there to be Ultimate continuity. i don't want to see the Statue of Liberty in Ultimate Spider-man after this is over. Unless of course Hulk makes it to apologize. "Me sorry! Here, me remake frenchie statue."

Hehe.

Speaking of which, I bet Hulk'll be smart in issue 12. And that's how he beats Abomination. Abomination will be doing his Millar villain rant "Oh, why don't you just give up! Can't you see, you moron, you cannot beat me!" and Hulk will be like "Hello yourself, Logan." ONLY IT WILL BE TO THE ABOMINATION!

WTF?

All in all, I think this book will make a pretty good January 2007.

If we're lucky.

Lynx said:
Maybe to redeem himself he'll stand there for a year with the torch in his hand. I mean, he's big, he's green, and he's patriotic!

The Hulk of Liberty!

Hehe!

iceman said:
Fury: "Is he still standing there?"
Cap: "He's still standing there."
Pym: "Marvelous really. For him to stay so calm for all this time, without getting angry and killing someone."
Cap: "I don't think he does that anymore. Though he does ask people if they want cocoa a lot."
Fury: "Yeah. Hey, Hank, why in God's name are you not executed as a traitor?"
Pym: "Oh, those Ultrons that helped save the day."
Fury: "Oh, yeah. Well, Hulk saved the planet, we still nuked him. Kinda."
Cap: "Yeah, but Hulk is green. Pym's white."
Pym: "Yeah."

(in distance)

Hulk: "Hulk heard! Hulk angry! Raaaaaargh! Me force you drink cocoa! Too hot for throat! Raaaaaargh!"

Fury: "Oh Hulk."

All (with bear): "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Nice!

Random said:
...Wolverine...

Good point.

Abomination: You see Banner, you can't possibly win for I retain my intellect
Hulk: Hulk ripp your tail off now
Abomination: Wait what? AHHHH!!!!
Hulk: Hulk better than dumb foriegner.

Haha!

Some stuff

(1) Yay! ROCKETMEN!!!! I was a little put off by the scant bit of intro text in issue 10 telling me all the ultimates reserves were dead. I wish we could also have seen maybe one season, and maybe make a few more goliaths (even though they seem to me like little more than bigger targets.) :D

(2) Although I was more-than-reasonably certain that both Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch come through this ok, seeing them both on this cover is pretty much a blanket statement that "everyone's fine..." I guess I have only myself to blame for looking, though...

(3) Along those same lines, all this jumping around the timeline wouldn't really bother me so much except little bits like we already know everybody's going to be fine after "Story X" when "Story X" happens before "Story Y." Makes everything a bit low-stakes poker, doesn't it?

(4) What? No Vision? (I never want to see that green abomination again - and I'm not talking about the super villian)

(5) Judging by the trend of folks-on-covers-not-being-in-issues, I wonder how many of these people we're actually going to see in the issue? (Based on the interview, my guess is quite a few.)

(6) {Edited to add one I forgot} I guess this answers our questions about the EU heroes.

Last edited:
Re: Ultimates V2 #12, cover and solicit

Lynx said:
You mean a publicly-known traitor (Captain America), two terrorists (Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch) and a psychiatric patient (Thor) are ok, though?

Cap as a traitor and Thor as a loony? What kind of counter argument is that. Their name will be cleared at the end of this mess. Hulk, on the other hand, will still be a mass murderer. This isn't even remotely close to being comparable.

SW and Quicksilver is a better argument but we don't quite know how extensive is the public's knowledge of their former activities, how public their current involvment in the Ultimates is and what kind of back story accompanies it.

Either way, the past actions of the twins and their reliability in the future cannot be compared to Hulk's. Not by a mile.

And so Hulk might have contributed to saving America. Again. That's just an argument to lock him in a cage and unleash him when needed as they did in volume 1. This is not and argument to say : "You know what? We're even. See you at your next rampage."

Hulk was killing people left and right while he was on the run too. Just because of late he seems coherent and restrains himself to enslaving a harem and terrorizing a village is no reason to give him a badge.

They went pretty far in the Ultimate Universe to make the Hulk into a monster and given the higher "social realism" in these series, Hulk positively can't join a group like the Ultimates. Even in the 60s it didn't work out long term, imagine with Ultimaet Hulk!

Random said:
...Wolverine...

Wolverine isn't known as a mass murderer.

This is made quite obvious by the fact that he is never harassed by common citizens while walking down the street. It's always by ex-Weapon X and other goons with ties to it. At best he is known as having a shady past. And he isn't on a publically funded team, by the way. Arguably, maybe the Ultimates won't either at the end of volume 2. Maybe.

Last edited:
Now, the question is - how are all of these heroes going to tie into all of the loose ends in the Ultimates? My guess is that these super heroes are just here to counter balance the ranks of the Liberators.

:shock:

I just peed my pants.

This is the kind of thing I've dreamed of ever since the Ultimate line started! Every Ultimate U hero side by side fighting the bad guys! I can't frickin wait to see what happens!

*runs off to change pants*

comic_geek21 said:
:shock:

I just peed my pants.

This is the kind of thing I've dreamed of ever since the Ultimate line started! Every Ultimate U hero side by side fighting the bad guys! I can't frickin wait to see what happens!

*runs off to change pants*
So is he the third person yet to piss their pants?

Goodwill said:
Now, the question is - how are all of these heroes going to tie into all of the loose ends in the Ultimates? My guess is that these super heroes are just here to counter balance the ranks of the Liberators.

I don't think he meant that the other heroes will tie into the loose ends. Just that the loose ends will get resolved on their own. The fact the other heroes are there has nothing to do with the major plots going on within the title but only the fact that New York just got ripped apart by terrorists.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't think he meant that the other heroes will tie into the loose ends. Just that the loose ends will get resolved on their own. The fact the other heroes are there has nothing to do with the major plots going on within the title but only the fact that New York just got ripped apart by terrorists.
And BINGO was his name-o.

:)

Yeah, wrap-around... I haven't seen one of those come out in a good long time (I may not have been paying as much attention as a few of you) so this is definitely cool.

Goodwill said:
Yeah, wrap-around... I haven't seen one of those come out in a good long time (I may not have been paying as much attention as a few of you) so this is definitely cool.

Really? Sensational Spiderman#23 was a wrap around....and that was last month.

But like you said...you might not've been paying attention. :D

The cover to the first trade/hardcover is a wrap-around.

Latest posts

Back