Ultimates 2 #13 (Spoilers & Discussion)

I'm pretty sure Gandalf wasn't standing at the top of Helm's Deep watching Rohirrim get slaughtered waiting for dawn. If I recall, he arrives at dawn and then strikes immediately. The Asgardians seemed to be waiting for Thor's call. Military strategy, I believe, is seldom scheduled to align with dramatic timetables... :wink:

Yeah, it makes more sense with Gandalf since he just arrives during that moment. I was talking more about the timing. I agree it doesn't make much sense, but the timing was for the dramatic effect.

I just want to say WTF? We waited for this for so long and this is what they give us. The spread in the middle of the comic was kind of cool but, it doesn't make up for the crappy and odd story line. On the plus side Ultimates, 3 cannot be any worse.

Alright, well I just spent most of my day re-reading the entirety of Ultimates vol. 1 & 2 and I must say that my enjoyment of issue #26 was markedly improved. Definitely rekindled my love of this series but it really hammered home how seriously the delays hurt the flow of this series. The industry desperately needs to abandon the mentality that they can put out issues whenever they feel like it. I know they're only considering the sales, but I don't know how many times it needs to be said but comics are a monthly medium. Stick to it, or suck it up and put it out in graphic novel format. That said, I'm really looking forward to where this series is going, but I have little faith that Loeb is going to keep this series consistent.

Also, a minor note. There seems to be alot of hubbub regarding Thor taking our Loki. It was my understanding that Thor didn't merely bash him dead with the hammer but transported him to Asgard to face the wrath of Odin.

Anyway, delays aside, fantastic run. Millar and Hitch will be missed.

Okay so I just brought the TPB today and this is ****ing great. When I started reading it was a bit of a drag cause I already read summaries but than I really got into it. It was ****ing great, and was awesome to read a truly great UU story again.

10/5 for the whole arc

Okay so I just brought the TPB today and this is ****ing great. When I started reading it was a bit of a drag cause I already read summaries but than I really got into it. It was ****ing great, and was awesome to read a truly great UU story again.

10/5 for the whole arc

Agreed. I don't get the hate.

Reads even better in TPB.

Yeah, I just re-read Ultimates 2 (both "volumes"), and I have to say the whole thing reads MUCH better in trade. That being said, when you don't have several generations in between each issue, you tend to notice how close together all of the action scenes are, which can be annoying if you went into Ultimates looking for character development. Mind you, anyone going into Ultimates looking for character development obviously hasn't read the first couple of arcs, so they don't need to be reading this anyway.

Definitely the best Ultimate storyline in ages, and so much better than Clone Saga that it's actually kind of scary.

I think Marvel editorial really dropped the ball on this storyline, it would've made for such a fantastic MCW-style line wide event. With it all said and done, Civil War just seemed so, I dunno -- arbitrary. Grand Theft America was so epic and felt truly earth-shattering. It would've been incredible to get some perspective from the other characters in the UU and their roles in the events, you know... while they were happening. It would've really given the UU the boost most agree it needs.

Oh, well. I guess they'll get their chance with whatever they're planning for next year.

Last edited:
I think Marvel editorial really dropped the ball on this storyline, it would've made for such a fantastic MCW-style line wide event. With it all said and done, Civil War just seemed so, I dunno -- arbitrary. Grand Theft America was so epic and felt truly earth-shattering. It would've been incredible to get some perspective from the other characters in the UU and their roles in the events, you know... while they were happening. It would've really given the UU the boost most agree it needs.

Oh, well. I guess they'll get their chance with whatever they're planning for next year.
I've been saying they should make a mini or one of the annuals be about what those character contributed and firmly pin point its place in continuity

I've been saying they should make a mini or one of the annuals be about what those character contributed and firmly pin point its place in continuity

That's a fantastic idea. The annuals this year, so should have been that. It would have been perfect, too, what with Ultimates finally ending in April, they could have dropped the annuals this summer and shown us the UFF, UXM and USM's side of the story and their roles in it and, like you said, firmly place the story in the rest of their continuities. Why they didn't is beyond me and it looks like we'll never get to see it. A shame, really.

That's a fantastic idea. The annuals this year, so should have been that. It would have been perfect, too, what with Ultimates finally ending in April, they could have dropped the annuals this summer and shown us the UFF, UXM and USM's side of the story and their roles in it and, like you said, firmly place the story in the rest of their continuities. Why they didn't is beyond me and it looks like we'll never get to see it. A shame, really.
Well instead they're doing an Ultimate Ironman and Hulk mini, go figure

Well instead they're doing an Ultimate Ironman and Hulk mini, go figure

Color me late to the party. I missed all the WW UU updates. Huh. Ellis on anything is cool, but um, yeah. Okay? The UU is such a shambles right now it's not even funny.

Hey, I just had a novel idea. What if the Ultimates remained an ongoing and all this story/character development happened, I don't know, in the actual book. That might be cool.

Last edited:
Its soo good it makes me cry :cry:

Why can't the UU go back to being this good :cry:

I was just thinking today that I need to go back ad re-read Ultimates 2. I really enjoyed it, and looking back it's even better as a whole.

I miss good comics.

It was. Though Gods and Monsters came close. Grand Theft America started off good but just fell apart at the end.

I don't think it fell apart at the end. It was just a big battle which wasn't all that much to write home about...except the Hulk/Abomination fight, Quicksilver/Hurricane fight, and Asgard opening up and attacking everything.

The problem I had with the end was just that Hulk disappears after having the Hulk storyline played so heavily in the first act of the story. Now all that history and all those questions and....what?

But I have to wonder, was Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk supposed to do something about that? Was the Banner thing left out because of that, or Millar's forgetfulness of a whole character and subplot?

It was. Though Gods and Monsters came close. Grand Theft America started off good but just fell apart at the end.
I somewhat Agree with the whole Asgard thing, it was too over the top for the series but other than that spectacular. I loved the Captain vs Colonel fight
But I have to wonder, was Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk supposed to do something about that? Was the Banner thing left out because of that, or Millar's forgetfulness of a whole character and subplot?
I think they were just forced to cut it out due to length, sometimes you have to make choices like that

Latest posts

Back