Ultimates 2 #5 HIT ME! ( SPOILERS)

TheManWithoutFear said:
I wonder what will happen to Thor's followers. I'm sure his groupies will be spending endless days and nights in front of the Trisk rallying.

My prediction: one follower named "Squeaky" will try to assassinate the president.

FREEEEE THOOOOOORRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

THe more I think about it.... the more kinda frustrated I am that we still don't know the truth behind Thor. Loki appears to him but somehow he loses his power with the loss of his belt? So what's the deal... I still think he's somehow a God but I'd like some closure..

I guess that's the spinoff's Millar was talkin about.

TheManWithoutFear said:
THe more I think about it.... the more kinda frustrated I am that we still don't know the truth behind Thor. Loki appears to him but somehow he loses his power with the loss of his belt? So what's the deal... I still think he's somehow a God but I'd like some closure..

I guess that's the spinoff's Millar was talkin about.
Are you on Millarworld.net? If not, I can ask and see if I get something.

Well, I hate to say I told you so (Bass), but I guess I'm going to have to say it anyway. I may be speaking too soon, but I don't think he's that much of a god if he fell that fast... Wow, did he fall faster than I thought he would! Incredible! I thought the action was perfect, though, and this issue definitely put the Ultimates back on the top of my list (It had been declining since I thought it was wasting its time with pointless babble in the first few isues of the second volume).

TheManWithoutFear said:
There's something not sticking with this stupid belt. I mean if he is a God why did he lose his power?
I wish you lot would actually try and catch up with mythology rather than waiting for one of us educated types to point it out. In order to wield Mjøllnir, Thor needed a pair of special iron gloves, and a belt that doubled his strength. If you look at the comic, he's plummeting (and then sliding down the slope) with Mjøllnir in the lead. Ergo, he didn't actually lose his powers or anything, but he lost the ability to lift Mjøllnir, which effectively took him out of the fight.

TheManWithoutFear said:
There's something not sticking with this stupid belt. I mean if he is a God why did he lose his power?

616 thor loses his powers when he losers the hammer for a certain amount of time...... so likewise,(and like jt said) its just about the same scenario here...

jtg3885 said:
I wish you lot would actually try and catch up with mythology rather than waiting for one of us educated types to point it out. In order to wield Mjøllnir, Thor needed a pair of special iron gloves, and a belt that doubled his strength. If you look at the comic, he's plummeting (and then sliding down the slope) with Mjøllnir in the lead. Ergo, he didn't actually lose his powers or anything, but he lost the ability to lift Mjøllnir, which effectively took him out of the fight.

I minored in Norse Myth and Majored in Greek and Roman... sorry jtg

Thanks for the info though. That explains A LOT

No problem. Hey, anyone remember what spelling they use for the hammer in the UU? I know it's not Mjøllnir. Mjolinir? Mjolnir?

I just go by what my Norwegian friend gave me for what she'd use.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Frustrated/disappointed was my first reaction too, but I don't think that was the end of it by any means. At the very least we have to see what this vast conspiracy is that the mole and Loki's associates are involved in. I'm sure Thor is majorly involved in some way, likely indirectly. It seems like it centers around him.

Also we got a little hint as to Scarlet Witch's powers and their extent; I'm not sure they had ever been completely revealed.

The fight scene in this issue (actually it was pretty much the entire issue) was fantasticly done. Cap taking a flame thrower to Thor? How cool was that?!

I'm sorry, MWOF, I've just finished reading it and I still feel kind of shaken. At this point I'm just grateful Thor's not dead. Give me a day or two, all right? I need time to read it over and give it some thought.

Getting a bit more in-depth...

It's interesting that the 'freaks' stand by Thor, even as the military tries to clear them out. I'm sure Seldes will point out an apostle-esque connection, except unlike in the Gospels, this time the apostles were non-violent and Jesus was whopping ***.

Thor and the flame-throwers... interesting that his hair burns and the side of his face is charred when he's in the Triskelion holding area, but the rest of his skin is unmarred.

Quicksilver seems to be a glutton for punishment in this issue... gets smacked down two times in addition to the one last issue.

Flying into Thor's mouth seems like a colossally stupid idea on Wasp's part... what the hell did she expect from Thor? "Oh, I'll just stand here and let you fry my brain from the inside!" Of course he's gonna swallow.

Wanda's sudden switch from the hex bolts to reality manipulation powers smacks of the whole Disassembled and House of M crap. Not sure how to feel about that. I'm glad she's getting more 'screen time', and fleshed out more as a mutant and less as Pietro's incestuous toy, but... nah, I can't really bring myself to like this twist of her powers.

Captains Britain, Spain, and France are a disappointment in the powers department as well. They're like a slimmed down Superman. They fly, they have super strength, they're mildly invulnerable... boooring. Like I wondered above, if they're all getting the same powers, why not just inject everyone in the Union with that serum, and turn them lose on Thor?

I think Iron Man showed off some new kind of power, those rippling waves. I don't recognize them. Some sort of sonic attack maybe? They remind me of the attacks of the Shocker in USM. And if you bring up Tony, Natasha can't be far behind. She kicked some ***. I loved the pregnancy thing she pulled. Also, it shows us that the two armors are not identical. Looks more and more like Black Widow is our War Machine, because here she brings out the conventional munitions, leaving energy weaponry to Iron Man.

The more I read this, the more I think of the apocryphal New Testament documents that were rejected because they portrayed Jesus as what we'd today call an action hero. Thor's dialogue reinforces the Christ comparison as well.

The end of the fight, I already explained earlier. He doesn't lose his powers, but losing the belt halves his strength, keeping him from using Mjolnir. The hammer then drags him down to earth. Interesting that he screams out 'Father!' right as his end approaches.

"Then Jesus cried out at the top of his voice, 'Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit!' Having said this he breathed his last." - Luke 23:46

And of course, we have the two ending scenes at the Triskelion. Seeing once and for all that Gunnar is Loki is a nice touch, although Thor specifying that he was sent to save 'this world' makes me wonder if this is all being groomed towards a 616/UU crossover. Or maybe they're just going with the nine worlds of traditional Norse mythology.

We close out the issue with Fury informing Tony, Clint, and Steve that they have 'big problems' in the Middle East. Just like Thor predicated. Dun dun dun...

Seldes Katne said:
I'm sorry, MWOF, I've just finished reading it and I still feel kind of shaken. At this point I'm just grateful Thor's not dead. Give me a day or two, all right? I need time to read it over and give it some thought.

is it that serious seldes???

Latest posts

Back