Ultimates Annual #2 discussion (spoilers)

Re: Ultimates Annual #2 - read it or wait?

Hibiki said:
Oh man, it was an awesome read. Alot of ww2 flashbacks.

So - spoilers (beyond the obvious) for Ultimates V2, yes or no?

Well, quicksilver is alive but that's about it. There's just alot of fallout and one of caps enemies from ww2 returns from the grave.

Hibiki said:
Well, quicksilver is alive but that's about it. There's just alot of fallout and one of caps enemies from ww2 returns from the grave.
Yeah they show a few characters, but really how many do you expect to actually die?

Is there a discussion topic? I'm just gonna post it here

I liked the issue, thought it was cool, though it pisses me off that its out before U2 ends, just doesnt feel right but what are you going to do. I loved seeing bits of Cap's past, though the villain was out there. And the whole racist plot was really pushed and didnt feel natural. As I said it really hard to pull that off and not be cheesy, but they did an okay job with that. I hated the conversation Cap and Sam had on the truck, Sam seemed really hostiled towards Cap for no reason and felt really out of character. And I also hate how there adding a crazy amount of technology to his wings, keep it simple. Still overall a really good issue

Random said:
Yeah they show a few characters, but really how many do you expect to actually die?

Is there a discussion topic? I'm just gonna post it here

I liked the issue, thought it was cool, though it pisses me off that its out before U2 ends, just doesnt feel right but what are you going to do. I loved seeing bits of Cap's past, though the villain was out there. And the whole racist plot was really pushed and didnt feel natural. As I said it really hard to pull that off and not be cheesy, but they did an okay job with that. I hated the conversation Cap and Sam had on the truck, Sam seemed really hostiled towards Cap for no reason and felt really out of character. And I also hate how there adding a crazy amount of technology to his wings, keep it simple. Still overall a really good issue

What do you mean, out of character? Has he shown up anywhere else in the UU besides Nightmare? Maybe he'll be played as an angry black man. I can see a Paul and Michael relationship where it starts kinda good and ends bad. I enjoyed it alot and don't think it really forced the racism out. I liked the whole disease and the villain. I liked the way Cap yelled at Falcon. It was a good speech. And I think this new Falcon is better than 616 Falcon.

Hibiki said:
What do you mean, out of character? Has he shown up anywhere else in the UU besides Nightmare? Maybe he'll be played as an angry black man. I can see a Paul and Michael relationship where it starts kinda good and ends bad. I enjoyed it alot and don't think it really forced the racism out. I liked the whole disease and the villain. I liked the way Cap yelled at Falcon. It was a good speech. And I think this new Falcon is better than 616 Falcon.
Also in Ultimate Extinction. But you get the feel that he Caps are on good terms, and then there's all this uncalled for hostility that really seemed out of no where, Sam seems like a guy who can keep his cool, but it just seemed really forced,[ which it is. And Caps response was good, its just I hate when they try to make conversations like this cause it never feels real, just seems like a Public service announcement. Though this was Okay in my standards

Random said:
Also in Ultimate Extinction. But you get the feel that he Caps are on good terms, and then there's all this uncalled for hostility that really seemed out of no where, Sam seems like a guy who can keep his cool, but it just seemed really forced,[ which it is. And Caps response was good, its just I hate when they try to make conversations like this cause it never feels real, just seems like a Public service announcement. Though this was Okay in my standards

Well, you gotta remember that they were turning black people white. That has to make a proud black man angry. And there's no real restrictions on the kinda person he is so far.

Hibiki said:
Well, you gotta remember that they were turning black people white. That has to make a proud black man angry. And there's no real restrictions on the kinda person he is so far.
Yeah but he was taking it out on Cap, who has shown how much he is pissed at the situation, and they should no each other at least that much by now

Random said:
Yeah but he was taking it out on Cap, who has shown how much he is pissed at the situation, and they should no each other at least that much by now

Yeah, but look at the situation. They've fighting non-stop. Do you really expect there to not be any tension?

Hibiki said:
Yeah, but look at the situation. They've fighting non-stop. Do you really expect there to not be any tension?
Well not really fighting non stop but there is tension during that time, still doesnt feel right to me

Random said:
Well not really fighting non stop but there is tension during that time, still doesnt feel right to me

Well it makes sense to me. especially with the backdrop of the current situation. Maybe it'll come together after U2 #13 comes out in March.

I think it's safe to turn this into the issue discussion thread.

Discuss (and spoil) away....

it was cool. def. moments like green arrow and green lantern.

it doesn't spoil much for the end of ultimates 2, but here it is:

america wins.

the superheroes put back the statue of liberty.

the country is still pretty f-ed up.

don't show too many ultimates, just iron man and some europeans. storm and reed richards are also shown. nick is implied to be alive.

best parts were the world war 2 flashbacks. art was really cool.

I liked it but...

Why the hell is Storm contributing to pulling up the statue of liberty?!

Is Falcon super strong now? Because breaking that lock the way he did is squarely in the realm of the superhuman.

I liked the Mad Max feel. Suspect it's hardly gonna last beyond the annual.

Ugh. I tried so hard to like this issue, but it just wasn't enjoyable enough. Some pages and sequences were pretty good, but I felt like putting it down when I wasn't even finished with it yet. The first half was definitely the better half of the issue.

2/5

Ultimates Annual #2 (Huston/Deodato; Marvel). I've been ready to be annoyed with myself for reading this and spoiling myself for Ultimates #12 and #13 all week, but I'm pleased to say that didn't really happen. Yeah, there are some minor spoilers about a few characters who survive, but most of the Ultimates aren't mentioned in any way.

The first half of this comic is beautiful and just about note-perfect (even if it isn't Hitch-drawn). Great scenes (Cap in NY and the rebuilding efforts, the WW2 flashbacks with modern dialog sequenced over the top), great dialog, interesting use of time sequences, great art by Deodato and Sook. The second half… something falls apart somewhere, and I'm not sure where. The "race relation" dialog between Cap and Falcon is good - but in Falcon's little exposition, he's not telling the readers anything we don't already know and it needed a stronger section of what Cap thought and reacted to. The actions scenes (including the semi "Dukes of Hazzard" scene) weren't nearly as good as some of the "talky bits" and the end of the action sequence seemed a bit too pat. Overall pretty good, though.

Goodwill said:
Were any new characters introduced other than the new villain?

Can someone hook me up with a synopsis?
Okay the issue starts with two radio guys talking about the event and the clean up, who have some opposing view as we see Cap in the ruins finding dead bodies having flashes of one mission back in WWII. Sam shows up and helps him asking why he's recovering the dead bodies, and Cap says "Someone needs to look over the dead", then we see a page of Storm, Iron man, Cap. Britian and three other Europe guys (I think) pulling up the statue of liberty with Reed Richards looking on. Then we cut to a flash back of Cap in WWII staking out a caravan with some kid in a shack, he then pursues them to find a bunch of dead "pale" bodies while the song on the radio playing which is what he wakes up to, the radio talks about a plague that non-caucasians are being found dead with their body turned white. We go back to that mission where Cap storms a Nazi base where a scientist named Arnim Zola was experimenting one people making them turn white, which pissed Cap off. Turn out the US military kept him alive to make them weapons and eventually electronitize his brain (A.I.). Cap is extremely pissed and their helicopter is shot down. After failing to hitch a ride Sam convinces Cap to try and they are immediately picked up. In the back if the truck Sam starts talking about race calling cap "just another white guy" Cap gets offended and yells about how pissed he is that after 60 years so little has changed. Sam talks a little about what he's missed. The truck driver (who met cap during the war and had a picture taken) tells them about a KKK group whose starting to cause real trouble, their leader worked on the program that had Zola. So the man offers Cam and Sam his son's car, whose in Iraq. We get alittle Mad Max sequence. The Cap rams their base and starts fighting a giant Zola robot and a bunch of white separatist. Sam frees the prisoners who fight back and defeat the guy. We cut to Cap at a USO show and is given his breifing on the mission that was earlier in the issue when the truck driver asked for an autograph. Back to the present Cap and Sam are helping the victims and dicussing maube they should take the the long way home, maybe do some good for the country.

I didnt like the villain, it had no depth and thats the problem when you try and force out a racist villain like this, just doesnt work well

One of the things I like on that last page is they have a kid pick up a gun and his brother(?) grabs his hand and walk away from it. I thought that was a nice touch, didnt even notice it at first

Last edited:
The most spoilery thing is who is missing - you can come up with good reasons for some characters not to be shown (they are too busy), but
you'd have though Jan would be there, what with her tearful reunion with Steve in #11. But it shows him home alone, sitting on the bed listening to a serious oldies station (I think that Iriving Berlin song is from the early 20s, though I think there was a later big-band cover in the 40s).

Rhyo said:
The most spoilery thing is who is missing - you can come up with good reasons for some characters not to be shown (they are too busy), but
you'd have though Jan would be there, what with her tearful reunion with Steve in #11. But it shows him home alone, sitting on the bed listening to a serious oldies station (I think that Iriving Berlin song is from the early 20s, though I think there was a later big-band cover in the 40s).

means nothing. he always listens to oldies stations, and jan always expresses how much she hates his oldies stuff.

also, their relationship is on the rocks.

also, its only one panel.

Latest posts

Back