Ultimates V2 #10 Discussion (SPOILERS)

It had to be Rumsfeld that Hurricane had.

If it was Cheney, she woulda been shot.

Cos Cheney's got a gun . . . Cheney's got a gun . . . (that song parody jsut kills me! LOL!!!)

Bad Leather. Very bad.

:D

E.V.i.L. said:
Hawkeye and his fingernail : I hope it is revealed that he had his real nails replaced for just this purpose. If so, that was cool. But if he did that with his real fingernails, it's not comic book badass, it's loony tune ridiculous.

Tony : has there been previous mentions of the nanites? It was a bit sudden. But I loved the confiormation that Tony was defrauding SHIELD. I mean, damn! But what did he need the money for? He's already a billionaire. It must be something huge if even Stark didn't have sufficient liquidity.

THE ISSUE WAS AWESOME OMG I STILL LOVE HAWKEYE AND WANT TO BE HIS MANSLAVE FOREVER!!!!111

ok, so then

Hawkeye using his nails is not looney tune ridiculous. I just tried pulling off my fingernails with only one finger- it's definitely possible. I got one to bend backwards. So then, the thing is, it would just hurt like a friggin mother. Cuz i have had a nail ripped off before, and it sucks. god, I cringed at that scene, but it was too cool for words.

As for tony, in issue 4, he DOES mention the nanites. I know because I checked, thinking the same thing.

Widow says "wow, the nanites feel like a second skin!"

oh, and I am also looking forward to Schitzoid vs. Cap, because i think it will be a fairer fight than one would think- cap cornered in a small room, and schitzoid replicating himself... fun time.

Last edited:
While the issue was a bit low on action, it didn't disappoint. I am now positive Millar is going to pull off Ultimate V2 with resonding success. Whatever the details are Millar is going to show you don't **** with America, Captain or otherwise. I can't wait the two months for Issue #11!

-It already been said, but Hawkeye using his ****ing finger nails as weapons! That is ****ing brilliant. Hawkeye has only yet begun to kill evil Mother****ers.

-Tony is more of a genius than I gave him credit for. One thing boggled me about the nanites. If he could paralyse Natasha at any moment why didn't he stop her from killing Jarvis? My bet would be that he wasn't expecting Jarvis to walk in and it takes more than a split second to activate something like that. Still a dead Jarvis makes me sad.:cry:

-When I heard Tony say, "...get me downstairs to the old engineering shop. We've got work to do." I was instantly flooded with ideas of what he's plannign to build.

-The question of how long it would take to turn a seventeen year old kid into the leader of the most advanced Super Solidier cross my mind too. I'm willing believe they could make the physical changes in a month, but the other training required to make him a fit leader should take longer than a month.

-Pym is definitely regreting his betrayal. I see him as playing the role of Judas more truely than anyone, all the way to the suicide.

-The Ultrons don't seem to be built for combat. It might be that they are equipped for combat, but the Liberators don't trust machines to do anything but menial tasks. There also might be multiple models of Ultrons and we've only seen the base model.

-Hitch draws a fine a Dick Cheney. I'm not sure how that could look like Rumsfeld, unless you weren't an American.

-Schizoid is as good as dead. Cap got a lot of pentup aggression and hasn't got any mercy for these scum.

5/5

Last edited:
Excellent issue!
-Fav bit: Tony's entire scene!
-I enjoyed the introduction of all the "new" villains
-Artwork was fantastic except there was something wrong in the panel where Black Widow begins twitchin, can't nail it thou.

Dislikes:
-I felt that Millar was shoving his political viewpoints down our throats in some scenes, most of the time I'm ok with it but he didn't need to spell out his points so abhorendly in that begginning scene.
-I disliked the hawkeye's fight scene with the guards after getting out of the chair. Only because nothing was really shown.

Ultxon said:
-I disliked the hawkeye's fight scene with the guards after getting out of the chair. Only because nothing was really shown.

I actually liked that nothing was shown there - this may sound weird, but at that point, no amount of mayhem could match the sheer simple inventive grossness and desperation displayed with the fingernails - if anything (for me), shooting people would only be a letdown - Millar let us use our own imaginations to 'supplement' the craziness we already saw, which was probably a wise move...just my opinion, though

man oh man oh man...i loved this issue

i almost crapped myself in awe after reading what hawkeye did

i'm thinking that red skull is going to actually have a red skull since they showed him cutting into his brain, or at least it looked like it

can't wait to see what tony has up his sleeve

cap is going to be on schizoid like gangbusters

this issue might have been lite on action other than Hawkeye, but it did an amazing job getting me pumped for the next issue...which should have thor bringing some pain with or without his hammer.....aarrrgghhh can't wait

Where did people see the cover for number 11????

BTW, AWESOME ISSUE!!!

.....Just dont feel the need to say anything that anyone has said 5 times before :wink:

eehhh, it was not worth the wait. i hate how its all coped out, suddenly.... wasp is missing and is able to free the cap, and Tony has implants in Natasha's body and can download info and take her out, and the super solider program in France went undetected for this long?

This was more like a crap issue for me, the art was good, i'll give hitch that much. but the issue as a whole......not to impressed.

Ultimates said:
Where did people see the cover for number 11????

BTW, AWESOME ISSUE!!!

.....Just dont feel the need to say anything that anyone has said 5 times before :wink:

check here for number 11
http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5670

I have a theory about our beloved bad guy, The Colonel.

In the panels showing his "progress" - one of them appears to be of a brain and you may notice in the next panel he has bandages on his head.

Maybe his brain was enhanced as well? It's plausible.

Or maybe it's not his brain? Maybe poor Abdul had a brain implant?

Colonel? Dare I say Kleiser?

Could the Hulk have pooped Kleiser's brain and SHIELD kept it?

Wayyyyyyyyyy out in left field, I know.

The second part.

About Kleiser. lol.

Last edited:
The guy who asked about the nanites, yes, they have been mentioned before, when Tony gave Natasha the suit.

"These nanites feel like a second skin..."

I really enjoyed this issue. I almost crapped myself when I saw what Hawkeye did. MOTHER******* FINGERNAILS??!!:rockon: Man, screw Captain America! Hawkeye is officially the baddest MoFo in Ultimate U!

And I can't wait to see Thor return. Thor has been through the ringer so much since Loki turned everyone against him, I can't wait to see Thor open an Asgardian can of Whoop*** on everyone!:D

Man, I've always been a huge USM fan, but The Ultimates is slowly passing up USM in my eyes. *sniff* I'm gonna miss Millar and Hitch when they leave, Loeb and Mad have a heck of a legacy to live up too.

Last edited:
Hawkeye rips off his fingernails and flicks them into the guys' faces.

Think about that for a moment.

It doesn't get any more hard core than that. Seriously.

Nanites - awesome. As was the explanation for them. And the ability to "download" things from her brain to his.

So basically the country is going to be saved by Captain America, Hawkeye, and Tony Stark.

**** yeah,

5/5.

UltimateE said:
Hawkeye rips off his fingernails and flicks them into the guys' faces.

Think about that for a moment.

It doesn't get any more hard core than that. Seriously.

Actually if I think about it too hard, it just gets silly. Hence I skim over it and think: "Wow, it must hurt an impressive amount to pull off your own fingernails. One-handed. He must really be motivated." And then I keep reading quickly to avoid thinking about it.

Interesting issue, lots of small twists as the heroes go about trying to be... heroic.

I particularly liked the fact that the bad guys get some GREAT lines in. A lot of the lines are straight out of the headlines: Hurricane's line about elections (vis a vis the recent elections in Iraq) and the two soldiers who want to get a picture with the captured Wasp (US soldiers at Abu Ghraib).

Good job of making the other Captain a man of principles, of a sort. You might not agree with the principles, or the reasoning behind them, but he has them, at least. It'd have been easy to turn him into a cardboard bad guy, like the evil doctor or the torturer in the Hawkeye scene - they exist just to be despised.

Tony gets some great lines in as well, and he looks devastated, stunned... and really, really determined now.

I also have to agree, the nanites are not a cop out plot device. they were mentioned early on and it works. If things are as they seem Tony's given his favourite lady a nice toy and one that will keep her safe. If he proves justified in his cynicism then it gives him a control mechanism over her. And it's about time that Tony's gotten to show his true intellignece.

And Wasp isn't a cop out either. She did the exact same thing last time, she's not a front line fighter save in specialized actions and she gets overlooked which is where she's most useful. If the Chitauri had a difficult time keeping track of her the Liberators don't have much of a chance of keeping tabs on the intrepid Mrs. Pym. She was Cap's trumpcard against Hulk, using brains (literally) when brute force doesn't work. Physically she may be the weakest, but her powers make her useful in situations where strength fails.

I think its reasonable for the Colonel to develop so quickly since to all apearances the super soldier formula enhances intelligence. Steve Rogers was made into Captain America during the war, so he didn't exactly have years to become a tactical genius. And I dobt that Steve just happened to have a genius level intellect and a penchant for tactics. Like Abdul his primary reason for being selected was that he was receptive to the formula... largely because he was sickly (in 616 I belive he had suffered from polio as a boy). Being a supersoldier in the model of Captain America is more than just strenght and physical prowess, it's also mental. Just as Cap got that from the formula doubtlessly Abdul did as well.

Rhyo said:
Actually if I think about it too hard, it just gets silly. Hence I skim over it and think: "Wow, it must hurt an impressive amount to pull off your own fingernails. One-handed. He must really be motivated." And then I keep reading quickly to avoid thinking about it.

I hit that line of thought, but I realized that he really WAS motivated, and he did what he had to do. I thought it was a smart and unique idea by Millar. On one hand it's pretty outrageous, but at the same time it's what I would expect from Hawkeye in that situation.

UltimateE said:
I hit that line of thought, but I realized that he really WAS motivated, and he did what he had to do. I thought it was a smart and unique idea by Millar. On one hand it's pretty outrageous, but at the same time it's what I would expect from Hawkeye in that situation.

I agree with all that. I'm just saying that I was trying not to let the "and exactly how does that work?" part of my brain going on what was happening with flicked fingernails killing people. It's an over-the-top comic book and some things are best left un-thought-out.

One of the things Millar is the very best at is picking and choosing the continuity and/or facts he wants to enforce. He purposely picked up the boy from the scene back in #7 - he wanted us to recognize him. Yet it doesn't really make sense that they turned the boy into Cap in 4 weeks, so that part we gloss over because it's necessary for the plot.

Rhyo said:
I agree with all that. I'm just saying that I was trying not to let the "and exactly how does that work?" part of my brain going on what was happening with flicked fingernails killing people. It's an over-the-top comic book and some things are best left un-thought-out.
Actually if you look closely, no one actually seems to die from the fingernails. Branislav survives and even talks, despite getting hit in the throat. And on the page before that while the guy is setting him free the others are stumbling around holding their throats except one is on his knees in the corner. I assume he killed them later when he picked up the guns.

Last edited:
Between shifts, I ran to my shop to get a look at this. I was a bit underwelmed with this issue. It was nothing like the feel of the last one and I would have to say "wasn't worth the wait". Still good story telling and very essential to the story because it seemed like more of a bridge issue.

I like pretty much all of it.

Hurricane's a Golden Age superhero with the power of speed.... here, Hurricane's a chick. I love how they took Multiple Man's powers. The guys definitely Red Skull... I can't wait till they just say it though.

The Hawkeye scene was sweet. I mean everything Hawkeye should be. But what a week introduction to it. The fingernails thing just seemed like a huge copout. I wish there was some other way he could've broken free. I just couldn't get Bullseye out of my head the entire time.

I hope Hank pulls off something to redeem himself....

Tony Stark/Natasha... brilliant! The entire thing.

4/5 Good but not the best but will look so good in trade.

UltimateE said:

I mentionned earlier that I hoped it was revealed that his real fingernail have been removed and replaced by small blade or something. Ultra sharp blade that can be removed effortlessly and have great penetrating properties.

If so, that's very cool. That's a bit like a thing Bullseye would do. In real life it'd be impossible to project a small blade with your thumb with enough force to hurt someone, but in a comic book it is well within the bound of established standards for heroic deeds. Add to that the fact that such fingernail blade are borderline super-science and it's a real fun comic book concept.

Now, using your real fingernail...

Do you have any idea how fast you need to project a human nail to hurt someone? Much faster than a bullet. And that's accounting for Hawkeye's apparent superhuman ability to make sure a non-aerodynamic projectile maintains the best aerodynamic flight position it can and hit the target with the best possible surface of contact, which with a nail is actually out of the hand of the thrower unless he is performing in a vaccuum (I mean no air, no gravity). And to do that without leverage (his nail where short) and with an object that is initially stuck to your fingers... Even by the standards of a superhero comic it is absurd.

I'd rather never think about it ever again if it were his real fingernail (and it 99% look like it was). I think I'll just wire my brain to go with the fingernail blade high tech gadget everytime I think about Hawkeye's escape and just put fingers in my ear and sing la-la-la whenever someone says something to the contrary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back