UXM #57 Discussion (Spoilers)

I dont think we should really look at Longshot as a villain as many people are labeling him. It was a crime of passion...he walked in on the woman he loved with another man. So he killed the bastard, hehe. I think it just adds a more realtistic tone to the character, he falls into a more "gray" area than black or white.
Not that I'm comparing the situations, but it sort of reminds me of a stand-up Chris Rock did where he discussed the whole OJ Simpson trial. The gist of the skit was he could understand OJ killing his ex-wife and her boyfriend due to the fact that she was living in a house that OJ paid the mortgage on, taking her friends and boyfriend out with money he paid her for alimony, and letting her new boyfriend drive the Ferrari OJ bought for her. He didn't condone it, but he understood it. Its a lot funnier when you actually watch it I guess, here it just seems really un-PC.
Anyway, I like how the Longshot character turned out. And who knows, when we next see him, maybe this past sin will be a driving force for him to do good and condone for it. Just makes the character more interesting and real in my opinion.

I tend to think Longshot's more dark grey than just in the middle. He's a biggot. He didn't kill Schlee just for taking his girl - he killed him because a flatscan took his girl. He was more angered by that fact than anything. And there's just a hard viciousness about him, not to mention his easy ability to put on a character. I'd be tempted to say he's a borderline psychopath.

Anyhow, I really liked this issue for it's twists and turns and good characterizaton. This is the first moment since he turned up that I've really cared about Warren.

I have mixed feelings about a limited Cerebro. I dislike it because it came out of nowhere to explain a plot item... but I like the idea of limits, especially as this is early in the career of the X-Men, so they should have limits. Xavier's a privately funded individual he shouldn't have better tech than SHEILD. As a out for Vaughan one could suppose the Savage Land's out of Cerebro's range since Xavier was never able to reach that far with his telepathy in Millar's run. Now that may be range or simply whatever safeguards Magneto built into his stronghold, which would in all likelyhood still be there.

Blacksword said:
I tend to think Longshot's more dark grey than just in the middle. He's a biggot. He didn't kill Schlee just for taking his girl - he killed him because a flatscan took his girl. He was more angered by that fact than anything. And there's just a hard viciousness about him, not to mention his easy ability to put on a character. I'd be tempted to say he's a borderline psychopath.

Agreed.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I think the range thing is such a cop out.

I thing the "range" excuse was just bad wording, on Vaughn's part. I suspect Cerebro's power is as limitless as it has always been -- Longshot's incredible luck just prevents it from detecting him.

Do I get an Ultimate No-Prize for that? :mrgreen:

compound said:
I thing the "range" excuse was just bad wording, on Vaughn's part. I suspect Cerebro's power is as limitless as it has always been -- Longshot's incredible luck just prevents it from detecting him.

Do I get an Ultimate No-Prize for that? :mrgreen:

Yes, you do. Of course that's what I said sorta originally so we'll split the trophy you can have it Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I get it the rest of the week.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Yes, you do. Of course that's what I said sorta originally so we'll split the trophy you can have it Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I get it the rest of the week.
MWF, do you know what's a "No-Prize"?

A No-Prize is when Marvel sends you an empty envelope when you correct a mistake in the comics. Empty envelope=no prize. Get it?

It's quite funny, and actually quite popular....er...was, that is. :lol:

icemastertron said:
Yeah, me too. I don't think Cerebro should have a range.
Cerebro's range is limited by the strength and skill of the telepath using it.

WEll, it has been mentioned that he starts to get "fuzzy" about South America. It's not a internet connection to the minds of the world guys. It should have limitations.

Caduceus said:
Cerebro's range is limited by the strength and skill of the telepath using it.
No, you're wrong. Cerebro amplifies the power of the telepath using it. Since Xavier is the most powerful telepath on earth, when he uses Cerebro, his power is really high.

icemastertron said:
No, you're wrong. Cerebro amplifies the power of the telepath using it. Since Xavier is the most powerful telepath on earth, when he uses Cerebro, his power is really high.
It does. But it amplify's it to a finite limit. It doesn't raise every telepath who uses it to the same power, it enhances a certain amount. So Xavier is going to be more powerful using it than Emma Frost, because he's more poweful to start with. Emma's range isn't infinte in 616, even enhanced with Cerebro and Xavier's is proportional.

Caduceus said:
It does. But it amplify's it to a finite limit. It doesn't raise every telepath who uses it to the same power, it enhances a certain amount. So Xavier is going to be more powerful using it than Emma Frost, because he's more poweful to start with. Emma's range isn't infinte in 616, even enhanced with Cerebro and Xavier's is proportional.
Yes, I know that.

Just got this today and loved it. All of it. Spirals story, Longshots twist, everyone (cept NC and Colossus) getting some. Nothing was predictable and it was a great read :D

Ultimate Warrior said:
From the end: "Next: A Man Named Syndicate".
OK. So the new Ultimate Villain is named Syndicate (was this already known on this board by the way :?).
Yeah, it was announced a little while ago.

I thought this was a decent enough issue. But it just felt a little bit scooby doo. It all played out nicely though, in all, a fair resolution to the storyline.

Latest posts

Back