UXM #57 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:

Ditto.

Longshot's elitist view on mutants would make even Magneto blush. Honestly he's a lot worse than Mojo, Major Domo, Spiral and Arcade, the villains of the arc. The three mentioned were just simply performing a legitimate albeit perverted method of execution, while Spiral was only a little misguided. The only reason why Longshot isn't treated as a villain is simply because he was fighting with the X-Men, not against.

If you guys do not consider Longshot a villain, I guess the same would go to the rest of Brotherhood including Mags. A villain doesn't have to be completely evil anyway, none of the sane Ultimate villains actually are.

cmdrjanjalani said:
Ditto.

Longshot's elitist view on mutants would make even Magneto blush. Honestly he's a lot worse than Mojo, Major Domo, Spiral and Arcade, the villains of the arc. The three mentioned were just simply performing a legitimate albeit perverted method of execution, while Spiral was only a little misguided. The only reason why Longshot isn't treated as a villain is simply because he was fighting with the X-Men, not against.

If you guys do not consider Longshot a villain, I guess the same would go to the rest of Brotherhood including Mags. A villain doesn't have to be completely evil anyway, none of the sane Ultimate villains actually are.
You make an interesting point.

I finally got the issue in the mail and, compared to Spider-Man, this issue was by far the best read in a while (Well, actually two weeks since that's as far back as I can remember).

First, what struck me as awesome was the reference to Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men". I believe Spiral said, "But the best laid plans of mutants and men" which would've been "But the best laid plains o' mice and men" in a poem that inspired the novelette's title. This line is actually a very good devise to describe both Longshot and Spiral's character after all is said and done (Even Nightcrawler and Colossus if you would like to consider them) because they came out of the arc "lonely", one of the themes that was illustrated through the likes of George and Lennie in "Of Mice and Men". Both Spiral and 'Shot are two characters that I admire because, out of the slew of characters, they seemed most human. Now, I just finished reading "Of Mice and Men", so that's why I noticed it in the first place. ;)

Anyway, I thought that the arc's conclusion was spot on and I really thought that this was a great way to add to characters and actually shake things up a bit. I was actually surprised to find out that Longshot actually committed the murder (Or did he? It seemed that what Longshot said after that scene led me to believe Spiral was doing some mind control stuff... Besides her arms, what are her powers?) and I thought it was actually interesting to find that Jean ACTUALLY hesitated to say that she was only in love with one man at a time. I thought that with what happened with Mojo was cool and all of the characters seemed great... I also thought it was great that Major Domo lasted longer than his boss, which is totally realistic.

I really can't wait to see more of Longshot... I'm hoping that he helps to lead Magneto's Brotherhood, seeing as how he's ended up in the Savage Lands. We'll see what happens next, though. While this issue doesn't really gear me to want to read about Syndicate, I'm sure it will be all right.

Goodwill said:
I finally got the issue in the mail and, compared to Spider-Man, this issue was by far the best read in a while (Well, actually two weeks since that's as far back as I can remember).

First, what struck me as awesome was the reference to Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men". I believe Spiral said, "But the best laid plans of mutants and men" which would've been "But the best laid plains o' mice and men" in a poem that inspired the novelette's title. This line is actually a very good devise to describe both Longshot and Spiral's character after all is said and done (Even Nightcrawler and Colossus if you would like to consider them) because they came out of the arc "lonely", one of the themes that was illustrated through the likes of George and Lennie in "Of Mice and Men". Both Spiral and 'Shot are two characters that I admire because, out of the slew of characters, they seemed most human. Now, I just finished reading "Of Mice and Men", so that's why I noticed it in the first place. ;)

Anyway, I thought that the arc's conclusion was spot on and I really thought that this was a great way to add to characters and actually shake things up a bit. I was actually surprised to find out that Longshot actually committed the murder (Or did he? It seemed that what Longshot said after that scene led me to believe Spiral was doing some mind control stuff... Besides her arms, what are her powers?) and I thought it was actually interesting to find that Jean ACTUALLY hesitated to say that she was only in love with one man at a time. I thought that with what happened with Mojo was cool and all of the characters seemed great... I also thought it was great that Major Domo lasted longer than his boss, which is totally realistic.

I really can't wait to see more of Longshot... I'm hoping that he helps to lead Magneto's Brotherhood, seeing as how he's ended up in the Savage Lands. We'll see what happens next, though. While this issue doesn't really gear me to want to read about Syndicate, I'm sure it will be all right.
Wow I never caught that allusion to "Of Mice and Men."

I don't really know about Spiral's powers. I hope she will gain magic powers (reason why I like the 616 version). Is there any magic in the UU?

Irish_4204 said:
Wow I never caught that allusion to "Of Mice and Men."

I don't really know about Spiral's powers. I hope she will gain magic powers (reason why I like the 616 version). Is there any magic in the UU?
so far they have not shown people using magic in UU but you never what's going to happen. they never had aliens in UU but look at Ultimate Nightmare and Ultimate Secret

fantomex said:
so far they have not shown people using magic in UU but you never what's going to happen. they never had aliens in UU but look at Ultimate Nightmare and Ultimate Secret
I think aliens can be dealt with, as the possibility of their existence is there. Magic, quite simply doesn't exist. Yet, there was that couple of spidey issues with doctor strange, that could be little more than a bad opium dream. Let's just see what Bendis does with moon night to see if magic becomes official.
If he does use magic, then I shall camp outside Bendis' home with a pitchfork until he answers my questions.

*waves pitchfork menacingly*

Well, reading the issue #57 over again, I got the feeling that Longshot was not just going to be a "victim" in the Most Dangerous Game but a key supporter of Magneto, come the time to break him out. I believe that all of the odds are agains him on this one-- He's blatantly fascist against humans, he's got homocidal tendencies, and he's certainly the kind of person's to backstab or, at least, manipulate others so that he can get away. We outta keep a close eye on him until Vaughan's last arc because I do have a very big hunch that he's going to be in the New Brotherhood.

Goodwill said:
Well, reading the issue #57 over again, I got the feeling that Longshot was not just going to be a "victim" in the Most Dangerous Game but a key supporter of Magneto, come the time to break him out.

My first response would be that Vaughan's arcs have been prety well self-contained, but there is always the possibility that they all tie into the Magneto one. Nice theory.

Well, it's something that I think we should harp on... I don't think that he would've emphasized the fact that he had gone to the Savage Land if not a future significance with the place. We'll have to see and I'm hoping that, in a way, I am right, but, in another way, I hope I'm wrong. Longshot isn't a lackey, he's an individual character. That better suits him, I think.

He could be a very important character in the Magneto arc. he always gets what he wants right? So if he wants Magneto to win, Magneto shall, if he wants to lead the britherhood, he shall. So, how do you fight him? You just have to change what he wants. It sounds quite feasible to me.

Though not very exciting

Longshot's powers happen subconsciously. I don't think he could just will himself and win. I also think that when Longshot is corrupted by evil his powers do not work (well at least in 616). I wonder if UU version of Longshot has psychometry which enables him to see the history of any object he touches.

Hmm, clairvoyance is one of the least believable of psychic senses. Somehow mind reading and telekinesis are more believable.

It's true that I took an exaggeration of his abilities, taking them to a point where he could in fact rule the world if he wanted it enough. But, if he did want it enough.. I do actually think that could be within the realms of his ability. The path to dominion is taken in baby steps.

His powers, if I remember correctly, work better when he has true intentions, but I don't think his powers work the same way in UU since he is a supposive murderer and so prejudice towards 'flatscans.' It'd be cool if his powers worked the other way around; the more evil his intentions the better his luck becomes. That'd be interesting and he would make a very powerful foe. :twisted:

Absolutely, Wolverine has been cited as the most powerful mutant alive, move over logan. Longshot has that corner sewn up if his powers work in that way.

On a sidenote, doesn't domino have pretty much the same deal going on with her? I don't know much about the character.

Guijllons said:
On a sidenote, doesn't domino have pretty much the same deal going on with her? I don't know much about the character.
Yeah, her powers work subconsciously too. I'll go into detail later when I have the time.

In 616, it seemed like 'luck' or 'randomness' was always the explanation for Longshot's powers. They worked quite similarly to how Vaughn depicted them in "...Dangerous Game", though he applied them in ways that are far more clever and exciting than anything I'd seen in years.

In comparison, Domino's abiliities were characterized in terms of 'randomness' or 'chaos' -- she is aware of the likelihood of a particular outcome happening, then acts on it. Feh. It really just seems like a more quasi-scientific way of explaining the same powers.

There was a much-delayed, and largely overlooked Domino miniseries about two years ago, which implied that her powers were just a watered-down, unfocused form of her mother's precognitive abilities. But that series also had sword-wielding members of an order of *ahem* "Armajesuits". So I don't know whether it qualifies as canon. :roll:

I think that seems as a valid difference, being aware of the unlikely, and making the unlikely happen. Though of course, yeah, it would play out the same way in an underwritten book.

Here's Domino's powers explained on uncannyxmen.net

Powers and Abilities:
cerebral cortex emits bioelectric pulses that raise her agility and reflexes to peak levels and initiate random telekinetic acts that cause probabilities to fall into place for her

Latest posts

Back