UXM #61 Discussion (Spoilers)

icemastertron said:
the Ultimates no longer have Thor at their side.

At this point anyway. Who knows what will happen in GTA.

We do know that Fury's future involvement has been promised, so we're good on that base. As for the Ultimates, though, I see no real trouble for them to respond to at this point, but, in the event that Magneto breaks out, I wouldn't doubt an appearance of at least Captain America. For right now, all we can assume is going to happen is Havok fighting Cyclops and the X-Men because of Polaris. After that, the stuff about Magneto is still in the dark.

Goodwill said:
For right now, all we can assume is going to happen is Havok fighting Cyclops and the X-Men because of Polaris. After that, the stuff about Magneto is still in the dark.
Uh huh. And hopefully, we can find out some bit of info at least, on Wednesday.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ooooh Here's a thought. Havok Vs. Cyclops over Polaris. What about Jean? Will she become upset enough to let her guard down finally for Pheonix to emerge for a future arc?
That would be a awesome thing to see.

Nice thought there.

Yeah, I definitely think a lot of the reason why Cyclops and Havok are going to find is because of Polaris. I think that's the whole point of the scene where Cyke tells Jean he's only dated one other girl next to her.

What's good hommies? I'm back!!! Anyway I ain't read this issue yet cuz I ain't caught up yet. I cureently read the first 4 hardcovers of Ultimate X-men. I waiting for the 5th one which starts Brian K Vaughan's Ultimate X-men run. Am I in for a treat with Brian's take on Ultimate X-men. Is his run better than all the others? How good was the art on his run? 1

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ooooh Here's a thought. Havok Vs. Cyclops over Polaris. What about Jean? Will she become upset enough to let her guard down finally for Pheonix to emerge for a future arc?
Man that'd be awesome. Right after this Magneto arc...a UU Phoenix arc. I don't think it'll happen though. :(

Lil Kis said:
What's good hommies? I'm back!!! Anyway I ain't read this issue yet cuz I ain't caught up yet. I cureently read the first 4 hardcovers of Ultimate X-men. I waiting for the 5th one which starts Brian K Vaughan's Ultimate X-men run. Am I in for a treat with Brian's take on Ultimate X-men. Is his run better than all the others? How good was the art on his run? 1

The art on the Tempest (46-49) is amazing, then 50-53 is done by one of the Kubert's (i think), so it's your call if you like their artwork or not. Then Stuart Immonen took over from 54 onward (with the exception of issue 58, which had very nice art done by a guy whose last name is Dillon (don't know his first name)). Lots of people don't like Immonen's artwork, but I enjoy the somewhat abstract quality of it. There's a good chance you won't like his art though. As for Vaughan's writing, I personally think he's the best writer UXM ever had (oh that's right, I went there). I hope I don't get yelled at for saying that. :oops:

Anyways, Welcome Back Lil kis! :D

Lil Kis said:

You are in for a treat. Vaughan and Immonen are doing fine.

Lil Kis said:

Stay on topic please.

Discuss this in the thread "Vaughan's Run" which should be flying around here somewhere, LK.

Quick question... Are we to assume Wolverine's past will play a role in what goes down between him and Xavier? If it's any indication, things don't bode well for him.

Though for 616 I definitely feel Magneto has run his course - props to Morrisson for pointing this out... too bad other writers wimped out and brought him back yet again *COUGH* Austin *COUGH* Clermont - I think Ultiamte Magneto still has a role to play. He one of the most powerful figures in the Ultimate Universe, both in terms of strength and in impact, but he hasn't been used to death yet. We haven't seen Magneto since Return of the King almost two years ago. As long as Magneto is only used occassionaly (especially given how freakishly powerful and malevolent Ultimate Magneto is)... say every couple of years, and the writers can do fresh stories keep him around.

What would be really cool I think is if Magneto never leaves his cell in this story and simply manages to co-ordinate everything from his cell. This would allow the more calculating, intellectual side of Magneto to develop. Cause lets be honest Millar's Magneto was supremely two dimensional - which suited what Millar was going for - but didn't do anything for the character. Vaughan has shown what he's been able to do with characters in the whole X-team as well as new takes on Sinister and Longshot.

Oh and props again to Vaughan for building continuity by referencing Bendis' work yet again and building on it, rather than ignoring it.

Blacksword said:
What would be really cool I think is if Magneto never leaves his cell in this story and simply manages to co-ordinate everything from his cell. This would allow the more calculating, intellectual side of Magneto to develop. Cause lets be honest Millar's Magneto was supremely two dimensional - which suited what Millar was going for - but didn't do anything for the character. Vaughan has shown what he's been able to do with characters in the whole X-team as well as new takes on Sinister and Longshot.

I really like the idea of Magneto coordinating a good deal of this from his cell. Although, if this were possible, I'm guessing Mystique's involved.... Now that the cat seems not to be the ACTUAL shapeshifter...

Anyone ever consider the reason that Emma Frost comes across as such an idealist to the point of idiocy is that its a front? Has Mystique assumed her role and made it her duty to build Magneto a new army?

Hmm... That Idea is getting itself its own thread.

Well, after the one solicitation where it said Magneto was causing just as much trouble IN his cell as he was out, I immediately thought he'd be staying in there for the rest of the arc, cooridinating both his release and attacks across the country. At first, I didn't know if I liked this idea, but thinking about all of the characters involved in this arc (Havok, Polaris, Emma, etc.) I find that it will be an interesting enough conclusion to Vaughan's run and, now, the idea of Magneto playing chess with the said characters as his pawns is certainly welcome.

Latest posts

Back