V for Vendetta comic (spoilers)

Re: V for Vendetta (spoilers)

I was gonna skip my comics this week and get this...But then I saw that U2, IC and Nextwave were all coming out, sooooo I'll have to wait a little longer, I guess...:(

this is next on my tooo read list. i've heard some really good things about this. so, well see if it lives up to the hype.

[random fact]there getting ready to ship the 10th printing [/random fac]

Got it a week or so ago.
UltimateE said:
I just bought this today and am surprised how easy it is to get into. I'm 45 pages in, just starting on chapter 6.
I agree. I'm not sure which I liked more between this and Watchmen.

I finished this last night.

I liked it. It was very good. I particularly liked how Evey DIDN'T take V's mask off.

My problem with this? Alan Moore is too smart for me.

There were parts I had a hard time following; actually it was fine until the part before where Evey goes to shoot the guy -- the scene in the club.

Part of it was that there seemed to be a LOT of characters. In and of itself that's not a bad thing, but I think part of my problem was that as much as I loved the art, a lot of the characters looked the same.

So my only problem with it was that I was too dumb and impatient to understand it completely.

A re-read is in order. 5/5 overall though. The overall execution and the ending were outstanding.

Glad you two enjoyed it so. :D

According to the film script, however, at the end, when everyone rebels against the government, the Wachowski bros decided that it would be best to dress everyone up as V.

Because nothing says anarchy than everyone dressing up in the same uniform.

Okay, that's not my line. It's from a guy's site who read the script and panned the **** out of it. And I read what he quoted of it, and it was abominable. And Alan Moore tore it a new *** too.

Which is a shame because I honestly find this to be my second favourite work by Alan Moore (Miracleman being my absolute favourite). It's just so powerfully beautiful (or perhaps beautifully powerful), a gem of comics. It's a timeless, cautionary tale of right and wrong, freedom and slavery, hope and despair, anarchy and order, which manages to speak with great insight and truth, and with each moment of despair and darkness, a little light and hope is shone through, all the brighter for the company that it keeps.

What a truly magnificent piece of art these men made.

I'm getting it this weekend.

Alan Moore makes me feel small and inadequte. I feel like I'm not worthy to read his comics because they are too intelligent for me. :(

I honestly think that would piss him off. :lol:

He hates to 'challenge' his readers ("What have they ever done to me?").

To be honest - I noticed something when watching Law & Order with my mum and sister.

It took a while to get my mum into it and my sister isn't into it yet, but when we watch it, originally my mum was, and currently my sister is, almost unable to follow.

The reason is L&O is fast paced and well written in that it doesn't spoon-feed the audience it's meaning, it gives it to you honestly and you have to be involved in the story to enjoy it. You can't just stare at the tv and get it all.

The reason they didn't get it, I think, is because they watch a lot of soaps which are awfully written. The only shows they watch are Lost, House, and Desperate Housewives. Now, Lost we stopped watching because it sucks ***. House we love (though my sister doesn't watch it), and Desperate Housewives would be much better if the dead narrator shut the **** up. Before that, I'd watch Buffy and Angel with 'em (still trying to get 'em to see Firefly - they saw Serenity for Christ's sake!) and they got those easy enough.

However, because I'm a student of the story, and because I watch things like Sopranos, and Babylon 5 (which, though filled with exposition, also has a lot of sub-text and foreshadowing), and Firefly several times from start to finish, I generally find stories quite simple to follow.

My point is - Alan Moore isn't too intelligent for you. The thing is, experiencing story fully is like any other skill, you gotsta practice it. And that's hard to do if all the stories you read are ****.

This is why I'm telling you to read the Earth X trilogy.

It's also why I'm such an opiniated **** when it comes to stories. I'll see a film trailer and say "it's crap", I'll watch segments of a movie and base my assumption of the entire thing on those segments - because after a while you start to see how things work, you see cliches. Don't you ever get the feeling you've read a comic before? It's because you probably have.

Surrounding yourself in excellent storytelling is never dull, but it does mean that hack writing loses its appeal, just like eating and drinking proper food makes you lose your appeal for McDonald's.

I think I left my point somewhere near the beginning.

Bass said:
I honestly think that would piss him off. :lol:

He hates to 'challenge' his readers ("What have they ever done to me?").

To be totally honest I think I've been conditioned to breeze through a comic - get the story and move on to the next. I have to re-read things a LOT. Generally not because I don't understand it, but because I get the main points and miss the subtleties, which is funny because that's the stuff I love. I hadn't noticed that every chapter in V for Vendetta started with "V" until I saw someone comment on it. :oops:

So when I say that he writes too intelligently for me, I suppose what I really mean is that he writes too intelligently for what I'm used to reading. I'm not used to there being those subtleties to pick up on. That's on me. I had the same problem with Watchmen but to a lesser extent.

I got this today.:D I'm going to read it tonight. I can't wait. I'm also writing my next review on this.

I just finished it. :shock: Wow. Unbelievable...I'll have my full thoughts when I do my review (in a day or two).

yeah, it's probably my second favorite comic. my first is watchmen. :D

Moore really is a full head and shoulders above everyone else. Morrison is the only one that comes close in ambition to him, though he doesn't do it nearly as cleanly.

More fun V for Vendetta facts:

V speaks only in Iambic Pantameter.

At least I think he does. My friend has my copy (its the book I give out to hook people, then I give them Watchmen and they bust their pants), and I read that fact a few weeks ago.

There are so many V/5 references, it's absurd. Moore really is super-duper smart. Have you seen his picture?! He looks like a Wizard! His intelligence must be at least 18. +5 modifier fo' real, yo.

Bass said:
Glad you two enjoyed it so. :D

According to the film script, however, at the end, when everyone rebels against the government, the Wachowski bros decided that it would be best to dress everyone up as V.

Because nothing says anarchy than everyone dressing up in the same uniform.

Okay, that's not my line. It's from a guy's site who read the script and panned the **** out of it. And I read what he quoted of it, and it was abominable. And Alan Moore tore it a new *** too.

Which is a shame because I honestly find this to be my second favourite work by Alan Moore (Miracleman being my absolute favourite). It's just so powerfully beautiful (or perhaps beautifully powerful), a gem of comics. It's a timeless, cautionary tale of right and wrong, freedom and slavery, hope and despair, anarchy and order, which manages to speak with great insight and truth, and with each moment of despair and darkness, a little light and hope is shone through, all the brighter for the company that it keeps.

What a truly magnificent piece of art these men made.

Yeah, I heard about the dressing up thing. It;s also hinted at the promo posters, where it shows lots of V's.

Also, I read something somewhere that implied that the scene where V fights the group of soldiers with matrix-y effects is his last stand.

WHICH IS HELLA GAY!

V
letting Finch kill him
is completely pivotal to V's character, and to the work as a whole. Making it an actual fight is just horrible. I sometimes wished that people were smart, so they realized these things before devoting themselves to making a movie of them.

On a brighter side, however, I heard two beaming reviews of the movie. Both said that it is different from the book, but still an exquisite film. While I am somewhat of the comic book purist, I can still tolerate movies when they are done well, if differently from the work. The thing that irks me about this case is that it was so movie-able. You wouldn't even have to cut that much out to get a 3 hour movie. Yet, things are changed for political reasons, such as the fact that the Cold War is over, and Thatcher didn't screw up England too bad. Honestly, I hate the argument behind making things more modern. It's a damn movie. If Watchmen is ever made, I hope to GOD they have it set in 1988, or whenever it takes place, during the Cold War. It is PIVOTAL to the story. Idiots.

also

I am really surprised so many of you hadn't read this before.

*narrows eyes*

i'm tired.

and he has a +1 headband of intellect. you just don't see it in the picture. that's because he's also wearing a hat of disguise, and his disguise is simply him without a +1 headband of intellect or a hat of disguise.

E.Vi.L. said:
Another convert.

Oh, Mooney would convert to lint if you stuck Alan Moore on it. His avatar changes every second.

*clicks fingers*

*clicks fingers*

*clicks fingers*

*clicks fingers*

You can stop it. Dial 0800-WEGUILT-YOURMONEY-OUTOF-YOU55

Iceman said:
and he has a +1 headband of intellect. you just don't see it in the picture. that's because he's also wearing a hat of disguise, and his disguise is simply him without a +1 headband of intellect or a hat of disguise.

:lol: Alan Moore is such a fat, beardy gamer. :wink:

Also, about the iambic pentameter - Alan Moore thumbnails every comic page and he puts speech bubbles with numbers in 'em on every page.

The number represents how many syllables that speech bubble has. In other words, he picks words according to not just their meaning, but their syllables and pronounciation so that they are easier to read.

He goes that far into his work.

This is why the man is an artist and why he's so much better than everyone else.

Latest posts

Back