Valiant Relaunch

Why are you not discussing Transformers despite there being twice as many comics?

Wow. Horrible comparison. First off, Marvel and DC putting out so many books is a perfect example of flooding the market. It's also why so many of the books get cancelled and they try new stuff, of which a lot of that also gets cancelled.

No it's not. Marvel and DC have earned the readership to be able to put out that many. Supply and demand. It's basic economics. I also said END not cancelled. There's no reason for there not to be a Quantum & Woody book if it was selling well. Asmus finished his story now get a new writer. It's simple. If it was the lowest selling book then that's a different story.

Also, the Spider-Man comparison makes not a lick of sense. Spider-Man is one of Marvel's top characters, arguably THE top character. Valiant has their own top characters, of which Quantum & Woody certainly don't qualify as. Nor are they taking a break for five years. It's 5 or 6 months at most (less if you factor in The Delinquents mini that Q&W appear in with A&A).

Due to the small number of books ALL of them are "top characters" (I use quotes because that's a nonsensical term. Any character can be a "top character" with the right story).

The Spider-Man analogy is also massively flawed when you consider they did "get rid of Spider-Man" for a year or so through the Superior/Dr. Octopus body switch thing. How many readers did they lose?

I'm sorry, who's body was Otto in? ;)

Valiant has openly said they want to keep the line small to help build readership. It makes it easier for new fans to get into the universe by keeping it at a point where if they like a series, they can buy old back issues and trades, and likely be motivated to check out the other series the same way. And it's been working. Valiant issues and trades consistently sell out, requiring second, third, fourth, and fifth printings of the issues. And the trades are all now up to second or third printings as well.

Seems to me they're doing it right.

They're not stupid. Trying to compete with the juggernauts that are Marvel and DC in a "publish as many books as you can" capacity right out of the gate is stupid.

And the people who only buy one or two books get screwed.

Not the same thing. Valiant does this thing literally on a weekly basis. Can't say that for Marvel or DC. It's nice Marvel and DC occasionally do those things, but Valiant regularly does it. Valiant has shown they both respect and appreciate their fans, it's hard to see Marvel or DC really having the same appreciation. It's more that they take their fans for granted, in many respects.

Christ. I was agreeing with you and you still argue. At this point I'm 90% sure you own Valiant.

Last edited:
Why are you not discussing Transformers despite there being twice as many comics?

60 hour work weeks the past month or so.

No it's not. Marvel and DC have earned the readership to be able to put out that many. Supply and demand. It's basic economics. I also said END not cancelled. There's no reason for there not to be a Quantum & Woody book if it was selling well. Asmus finished his story now get a new writer. It's simple. If it was the lowest selling book then that's a different story.

It was the lowest selling book, or one of. And they'll bring it back. They just want to give other characters a chance. And Q&W are a part of the Delinquents mini series which runs through the end of the year. So there may be 3-4 months of no new Q&W once that ends before they start the ongoing again or do a new miniseries.

Also, if Marvel and DC had such a strong grasp of supply and demand, they wouldn't need to cancel so many of their newer titles. There's a reason they don't sell: people aren't interested.

Due to the small number of books ALL of them are "top characters" (I use quotes because that's a nonsensical term. Any character can be a "top character" with the right story).

Not at all. It's a perfectly viable term, as in the most popular and strong sellers. XO, Bloodshot, Harbinger, etc. Just because they have a smaller stable of characters than Marvel or DC doesn't make them all equally popular. That's a ludicrous statement.

And I assure you, not every character can be a top character with the right story. That probably why Big Wheel isn't a popular Marvel villain, and never will be. I don't care if Alan Moore sat down tomorrow to try and write a worthwhile Big Wheel story. It's still not going to compare to Spider-Man or Batman's sales numbers.

I'm sorry, who's body was Otto in? ;)

The body doesn't make the man... the mind and attitude does.

You just got philosophied.

And the people who only buy one or two books get screwed.

This is another of those grossly incorrect blanket statements without any evidence to back it up that you're so fond of making. The people who buy only one title are getting a complete story. The only exception to that was the recent A&A and Bloodshot crossover that happened in their main titles. But even the trade paperback collection includes all four of those issues in an upcoming A&A trade so you don't have to buy another series you may not regularly read to get the whole tale.

Also, let's look at the events. Valiant runs events which from a completionist view you'd need to buy maybe 3-5 titles per month to get the entire story (based on Harbinger Wars--3 titles, and Armor Hunters--5 titles). How many issues do you need to buy to get the completionist view of a Marvel or DC event? 20? 30? 40? Just look at House of M, Annihilation, Brightest Day/Blackest Night, Flashpoint, New 52, etc.

It's almost financially impossible to keep up with all the titles in the bigger Marvel and DC universes, and likely not viable time-wise.

Christ. I was agreeing with you and you still argue. At this point I'm 90% sure you own Valiant.

I wish I owned Valiant. You also weren't agreeing. You were saying Marvel and DC do the same thing, which isn't really true. Of course they've sent fans comics over the years. Valiant does it every week. It's not the same. That's like comparing a donation of $1 with $1,000. All the more ironic since Marvel and DC, as the bigger companies with a vastly larger print run, have more money to afford to be appreciative of their fans.

Valiant is also much more open and accommodating to their fans at cons, signings, etc. The higher ups (Dinesh Shamdasani - Creative Officer and part owner, Warren Simons - editor, Joshua Dysart - writer) regularly post on the valiantfans forums, and interact with fans and answer questions, preview upcoming books and artwork before it's posted on comic news sites, etc.

There's a very real sense of community and appreciation that's been created by the Valiant employees for their fans. I appreciate it, as a fan. Perhaps it's because they're a smaller company and able to interact on a much more one on one type approach than the massive Marvel and DC official forums, where tens of thousands of people post.

If you are only reading Quantum and Woody you are getting screwed by them ending it. I'm assuming they ended it due to sales so that's understandable. If the demand isn't high enough why supply?

I'm ready for Armor Hunters to be over. The new issue of X-O Manowar felt like a poor man's Predator and while it was entirely in space and on a different planet it was just boring. I don't care about the hunters and the whole event has been pretty lackluster. I can't wait for them to go back to him working for the government going on missions while fighting the power struggle with his people. Was so much better.

If you are only reading Quantum and Woody you are getting screwed by them ending it. I'm assuming they ended it due to sales so that's understandable. If the demand isn't high enough why supply?

I'm sure there are very few people who only read Q&W from Valiant. You'd have a point if it was one of the bigger sellers.

As for why they would keep producing new issues even as one of their lower sellers, it's because there's still a fanbase there. And as I already told you, the main reason it's taking a break is so they can put out the Q2 series, which is a series set in the old continuity and done by the creators and original team from back in the 90's. The current version will return in early 2015.

I'm ready for Armor Hunters to be over. The new issue of X-O Manowar felt like a poor man's Predator and while it was entirely in space and on a different planet it was just boring. I don't care about the hunters and the whole event has been pretty lackluster. I can't wait for them to go back to him working for the government going on missions while fighting the power struggle with his people. Was so much better.

The current XO arc is backstory for the Armor Hunters. Which I'm enjoying, since there wouldn't be much chance to explore their origins and motivations in the AH mini. It allows for a better understanding and relatability for the Armor Hunters, which I appreciate, instead of just presenting them as the "bad guys". And you've already had 25 issues of focusing on Aric, and once the AH crossover is done you'll have who knows how many more. Jesus, relax.

It's also worth pointing out that the current arc of XO (covering the origin of the Armor Hunters) provides more info and background on the XO armies themselves, which should interest anyone reading the series, as that's something that's been shrouded in mystery since the beginning. The one released today (#27) does this more than the previous issue.

It's also worth pointing out that the current arc of XO (covering the origin of the Armor Hunters) provides more info and background on the XO armies themselves, which should interest anyone reading the series, as that's something that's been shrouded in mystery since the beginning. The one released today (#27) does this more than the previous issue.

It reminded me of Transformers: Beast Machines. It's G1 and they reveal that
Cybertron once had organic life on it billions of years ago
and since it's a continuation of Beast Wars it uses the whole hybrid of machine and organic life. Robots that turn into plants and animals yo.

Also, regarding the Q&W hiatus, they're doing the same thing with Shadowman. It's on hiatus while the current AH crossover is going on, and upcoming Dr. Mirage series runs. It's been stated that it will return, also likely early next year.

I don't follow Valiant news so I figured it was just cancelled and replaced by a spinoff. Valiant does things weirdly.

Last edited:
I don't follow Valiant news so I figured it was just cancelled and replaced by a spinoff. Valiant does things weirdly.

They seem to be doing things smartly as the fanbase and readership grows, as does their market share. They still only make up a little over 1% of the total market, but that's to be expected of a newer company. They also only put out a small fraction that the bigger companies do each month. But their issues almost always sell out, leading to a need for second, third, fourth printings and so on, which they always provide. Their print runs are also much smaller than the bigger companies, which prevents old back issues from clogging up back issue bins.

I like their approach. There is nothing wrong doing things in a different way than the standard approach, as long as it works. And it has worked, and continues to work. I'd say their approach is a sign of ingenuity and a creative approach to the standard. If you ask me that's to be respected.

Yup. Read about that a few weeks back. It's a one-shot that focuses on one of the One Percenters around the time of the first or second arc of A&A.

This may also be a kick off for a break for A&A. A&A #25 comes out in October, then the One Percent one shot in November. I think Fred Van Lente is leaving the title after #25, so a few month break will allow Valiant to publish another new mini series in it's place while the new creative team get a few issues in the can. I only hope whoever they bring on can keep the same humorous and adventurous tone mixed with hilarious and strange twists on existing conspiracy theories and really capture the "buddy" dynamic of the book.

Yup. Read about that a few weeks back. It's a one-shot that focuses on one of the One Percenters around the time of the first or second arc of A&A.

This may also be a kick off for a break for A&A. A&A #25 comes out in October, then the One Percent one shot in November. I think Fred Van Lente is leaving the title after #25, so a few month break will allow Valiant to publish another new mini series in it's place while the new creative team get a few issues in the can. I only hope whoever they bring on can keep the same humorous and adventurous tone mixed with hilarious and strange twists on existing conspiracy theories and really capture the "buddy" dynamic of the book.

I'll read it! But I'm not happy about it! *squints eyes*

I want a space book. Ooo! Or dinosaurs! Wait, no, dinosaurs IN space!

Last edited:
Didn't the Far, Far Away portions of A&A feature dinosaurs and aliens?

I'm talking dinosaurs in space. Aliens don't need to be a part of it. Just dinosaurs flying with rockets in space.

I just did and you know what I found?

BoomBox02.jpg

excitedguy.gif

Last edited:
Harbinger Omegas #1 is the only one out this week right?

Yup. Pretty sure it serves as an interquel to the most recent arc and the upcoming one.

It's amazing how much easier it was to read now that it has a better artist (never thought I'd be saying that about the guy who did Ultimate Doomsday). If only the writer changed too :(

Wait, Christopher Priest created Quantum and Woody? I gotta hunt that old series down. That preview was incredible.

Last edited:
It's amazing how much easier it was to read now that it has a better artist (never thought I'd be saying that about the guy who did Ultimate Doomsday). If only the writer changed too :(

Did you already read the previous Harbinger issues (Harbinger #0-25, Harbinger - Bleeding Monk #0)? Wouldn't recommend reading Omegas until you have (though you obviously already did).

Also, I hope you notice Peter is portrayed as feeling incredibly guilty for his mistakes, and continues to make mistakes (falling into the old pattern of abusing pills to quiet his mind/powers).

Wait, Christopher Priest created Quantum and Woody? I gotta hunt that old series down. That preview was incredible.

Yup. Its pretty beloved by old Valiant fans, so I presume its good. And they're actually releasing an Omnibus that collects all of Priest's and Bright's original Q&W run from the 90's. And Q2, which you saw the preview for, will be a continuation of the original 90's series. Once that's done the new, rebooted version will return some time in 2015.

Did you already read the previous Harbinger issues (Harbinger #0-25, Harbinger - Bleeding Monk #0)? Wouldn't recommend reading Omegas until you have (though you obviously already did).

Also, I hope you notice Peter is portrayed as feeling incredibly guilty for his mistakes, and continues to make mistakes (falling into the old pattern of abusing pills to quiet his mind/powers).

I finished it before I started PMing about it. I read it all in one sitting. When I said I didn't like any of the characters I was 100% caught up.

Yup. Its pretty beloved by old Valiant fans, so I presume its good. And they're actually releasing an Omnibus that collects all of Priest's and Bright's original Q&W run from the 90's. And Q2, which you saw the preview for, will be a continuation of the original 90's series. Once that's done the new, rebooted version will return some time in 2015.

Of course it's good, it's Christopher Priest.

Latest posts

Back