Vol. 2 villains?

Doesn't matter... The story would be lacking thereof since it would just be the same thing over and over again. Kinda like the Matrix... I thought that it was a great trilogy, probably the best of modern cinema (Yes, I would say better than the most recent Star Wars and Lord of the Rings), and I wanted more, only the story was completed and there was no more they could've done. Same with the Ultimates. I guess UltimateE has changed my opinion about the Ultimates ongoing.

You said that it could grow to be redundant, UltimateE said that, as opposed to Spider-Man, the Ultimates couldn't do much more than they were actually doing already. Two different things.

Ultimates/Avengers - 616 Comparison

Re: Any major villains going to be in the second volume?

Using the Marvel Masterworks Avengers #1-10 as a comparison, these were the major villians that the original team faced during that run:

Loki, Hulk, Namor, Masters of Evil (and Baron Zemo), and Kang.

Now, they already did the "Let's stop the rampaging Hulk" storyline. And the Masters of Evil with Baron Zemo I kinda thought related to the Centauri invasion, but I could be wrong about that.

Loki is an interesting possibilty, especially since I heard originally Millar wanted to explore whether Thor's backstory a little more (of course, that was before the first volume was cancelled.

Ditto for Namor, but who knows where the powers that be will fit him into the Ultiverse.

Kang is a very intersting possibility too. But his old costume has got to go!

(I hope I haven't gone over somethat that's been said before.
And I'm sorry about the long post, I just wanted to be thorough!)

icemastertron said:
Im sad to say I dont know who they are, nor the Euro-Ultimates.... :(

I believe the "Euro-Ultimates" are the S.T.R.I.K.E. team headed up by Psylocke and Captain Britain.

In response to the thought that the Ultimates are only brought out for the big threats, I think Iron Man stopping the Rhino in issue 28 of USM or the Ultimates getting called in to rescue the Russian sailors trapped in the submarine in issue 18 of UXM shows that it is in fact false. Hell, even ultimate Hulk wasn't exactly a world-shattering event. In fact, when you think about it, Cap, Fury, Widow and Falcon in Nightmare are simply going to investigate a communications disruption. They have no idea it's a huge, universe-spanning, part-one-of-a-trilogy-of-mini-series' style event.

And as for the Ultimates not being used for war, issue 1 of vol. 2 does open up with Cap in Iraq, so...

Well, UltimateCharlieSheen, The Rhino was all over the news, and I'm pretty sure Stark had time between getting bevied to put on the old armor. He's a good guy, really. Besides, one of the main reasons behind The Ultimates was to make the public feel like there was a super-human team to defend them from super-human bad guys and, since The Rhino's attack was a very public thing, The Ultimates had to be involved at some level. And the submarine thing, well, that's just the right thing to do when it is expected that nobody else would be able to do it, right? They are superheroes after all.
And as for The Ultimates only dealing with the big threats, they are there to deal with all sorts of criminal activities but essentially those that cannot be dealt with by the "normal" authorities. I'm sure SHIELD and The Ultimates would be very interested and involved if a guy with four mechanical octopus arms was running around killing folk, but they wouldn't be needed if Spider-Man dealt with it first. Or in the case of some kind of mutant threat, they wouldn't be needed if The X-Men dealt with the situation first. Just like they wouldn't be needed if an alien race was attempting to overtake the planet, if somebody dealt with it first. But who can deal with an alien invasion before The Ultimates? Nobody. Besides, how interesting can a story be with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, The Black Widow, The Wasp, Quicksilver, and The Scarlet Witch all piling on top of Doc Ock or Mister Sinister? And in the case of a supposed member of this government super team going nuts (ala The Hulk, and soon-to-be Thor), then it would be up to the team to bring them down to save face and try to keep the public on their side.
That's the way I see The Ultimates' role: dealing with very public situations and situation that involve the image of SHIELD.

STRIKE is the British division/equivalent of SHIELD.

(I hope I haven't gone over somethat that's been said before.
And I'm sorry about the long post, I just wanted to be thorough!)

Not at all - thanks for the info!

The Rhino was all over the news

Right. Not only that, but unless I am mistaken it was not the entire Ultimates team that dealt with him, just Iron Man.

Regardless, the idea that the Ultimates are dragged out only to face the biggest of the big threats is simply a remodeling of the facts to accomidate the theory that the Ultimates is going to end after vol. 2.

The truth of the matter is the Ultimates is as viable an ongoing series as Ultimate Spider-Man or, obviously, their 616 counterparts, the Avengers.

Besides, how interesting can a story be with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, The Black Widow, The Wasp, Quicksilver, and The Scarlet Witch all piling on top of Doc Ock or Mister Sinister?

THor, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch arnt Ultimates. Thor is just helping out and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in SHIELDs shadow team

Correct, but all three are well associated with The Ultimates and are kind of like "unofficial members".

Latest posts

Back