Vol. 2 villains?

I think it's great how the first two volumes of Ultimates deal with problems within the team and across the world. It kind of reinforces the reason we need them in the Ultimate universe. Any other appearance they've served up to this point (such as Ultimate War, Ultimate Six, and the Ultimate Trilogy coming) is to give you an idea of what their role after vol. 2 will be in the universe from now on. It's not to say they're not as important as any other title, but I also agree with this choice because it gives Marvel a reason to think about another Ultimate ongoing to complete that fourth cornerstone. Ultimate Daredevil, anybody?

I would have to agree... Makes it different from all of the other super hero titles that just deal with super villains all of the time. The real evil is in themselves... Hasn't Captain America and Iron Man read Lord of the Flies? They should know better than to fight the Hulk...

Well, right. Have you read the Lord of the Flies? That's pretty much what the book follows. Without rules, you have to make them... There are different kinds and often times these differences conflict and start trouble. It's personally my favorite book, I don't mean to be an advertisement, but read it sometime.

But remember they don't have to be all out war issues for the Ultimates to be called in. What about a blck ops down and dirty issue of killing some rouge leader or a country, or an issue where say Hawkeye goes undercover to join some terrorist unit.
Ultimate Universe is supposed to be mor realistic right? Well that stuff happens everyday whether we see it or not. Some one is creating genetic monsters in Europe (High Evolutionary?) the Ultimates are sent in. Some meta human goes on a massive crime spree murdering hundreds of people and the Ultimates are called in.
You can also use the Ultimates issues as stand alone stories, I for one don't want to see an Ultimate Cap book or Ultimate Thor book nor a Ultimate Iron Man book, but I wouldn't mind a arc that focus soley on said heroes.
I think the potential is really there to telll captivating stories that we may never see, ones full of suspense and action. Just beacuse the whole team comes together to stop invading aliens doesn't mean that has top happen every issue, smaller groups in each arc, diffrent one a revovling cast!!

Good to have you around Raider!

You hit the nail on the head with that one. There will be things that we'd love to see but won't get to. Happens with movie franchises all the time!

Yes, that is so true. And if Millar writes it, its gonna more than likely be good. Not that if someone else wrtoe it it would stink, cuz I dont mean it that way. Im just saying that you know that Millar does dish out very good stories.

Very good action, yes, but his stories can be a little of kilter at times... I don't think that he can write a story, rather dialogue to explain it. Millar is a hard writer to explain to you guys, at least how I see him, so I really can't continue, but there is something that I don't like about his writing anymore.

Millar stuff is alot more for like adults if you think about it. In u.x.m. he had alot of vilolent stuff. He actually had Jean and Logan have sex. If you guys have ever read WANTED you know thats him cause of the way the stories go. Also look at Ultimates Issues 6 when Giant-Man beats the shit out of the Wasp. I mean that was really realistic. I love his stuff but I dont know how to explain it. Goodwill makes a good point. Millar is hard to eplain

Correct, and I will make an attempt. First, he is a very realistic writer. He's got political parallels to things happening in the actual world and real things that corrupt our communities. It's very interesting to see how that plays out. Just the things he did with Magneto, for example, was so similar to that of Bin Laden or whatever other terrorist you could imagine that was arrogant enough to put his face on a video camera and say that America deserves what they get. He's a very good writer in that respect.

He loses me, though, with his dialogue and stories. His stories are flat, really, and rely on aliens and more out of body things than most writers today. Also, the dialogue explains most of what is actually going on and tells too many things about the character at inconvenient times. For instance, in MK Spider-Man Vulture is carrying Spider-Man before he drops him and is going on and on about why he is a villain. "He needs to earn a few extra bucks for his son who was locked up in a jail in Delaware for a felony he supposedly didn't do. His son had a family and daughter at home" etc. Just things that people wouldn't really say.

Lastly, he's a very cinematic writer. He can write huge events and play them off well. For example, the nuclear explosion that took place in UXM in the final arc, Return of the King. You got a sense of a frantic, yet heroic effort from the likes of Prof. X, Jean, Roguee, and Nightcrawler. He also did this in the epic battle between the Skrulls and the Ultimates. Truly a work of art!

I think I covered him.

As i understand it the Black Ops team isd attached to but not part of the Ultimates. Its a combination of a place to go for training and somewhere to keep the undesireable but still necessary people. The known members or past members are
Hawkeye and Black Widow- Moved to Public Team
Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver- Part of the team for leniency for Brotherhood members. It is unclear if they are on the team
Karma- Full fledged member of the team in training for the Ultimates. She was part of the short-lived presidential New Mutants and wen't back to Fury and SHIELD rather than the Institute.

For instance, in MK Spider-Man Vulture is carrying Spider-Man before he drops him and is going on and on about why he is a villain.

Actually, he wasnt going on and on about being a villain. He was talking about why he stole money from The Owl. Which was to pay for his grandson's operation.

Right, he went on and on about how his grandson's parents were financially unable to do so. Not very good at all, really. Boring.

Millar's dialogue was passable in UXM, good in places, mediocre in others. Ultimates was a lot better. Both are team books but only Ultimates really developed characters. I think it really depends on what Millar's going for, how much he cares about the title and how serious he's trying to be. Ultimates was aiming for high realism from the start, X-Men seemed more like a reimagining of the old material, just minus the bad parts and most of the silliness.

Millar's dialogue was passable in UXM, good in places, mediocre in others. Ultimates was a lot better

Ultimates got kindof funny sometimes because you could see where Millar wanted to swear and couldn't. Like when Wasp called Hawkeye by accident and he said, "You got me shot you stupid witch!"

still. I have never read a comic by Mark Millar that i didnt like

Me either. Don't misunderstand me; Ultimates as a whole is probably the best series I've ever read.

Latest posts

Back