Watchmen (Spoilers)

iceman said:
you can take those quote marks off, soldier. i saw it myself, it looks gorgeous.

Where did you see it?

Hey, wait a second. Why didn't the sarcasm I typed show up? Hmmm, my browser must not support it. Can you guys see it? Meh, computers.

UltimateE said:
Where did you see it?

comics shop. the guys are casual, i also head in towards closing and we talk about comics and music and such, as i basically read everything in the store (bwahahaha!). they showed me it. it really is kickass, and if i wasnt a college student, i'd buy it.

iceman said:
comics shop. the guys are casual, i also head in towards closing and we talk about comics and music and such, as i basically read everything in the store (bwahahaha!). they showed me it. it really is kickass, and if i wasnt a college student, i'd buy it.

Can you describe what's different about it? Is it just like more shading and shadowing? Darker maybe; not as brilliant and flat?

for one, its digital. so it isnt the same 4-colour pallate

so some things look a whole lot more natural.

the other big thing is shading. in the original it tended to be kind of chunky (which i have no problem with, i think it looks cool). one colour met a shadow colour on a distinct line. now there is more of a gradation. this is especially awesome in closeups of characters' faces.

the book is also huge, but despite the large size, the stuff still looks better. if it was downsized to the normal size book, it would look extra crisp.

Guijllons said:
I forgot that was coming out. What are the extras? I heard that there was a fair bit of stuff.
Yes, including free Lego minifigs:

watchmen.jpg

I've been rereading Watchmen during the last week to get my mind off some of the ****ty comics that are coming out currently.

Why aren't more comics done like this? I want a graphic novel - with a beginning, middle, and end. I want it to be entertaining. I want it to be fun. I want it to have a symbolic message wrapped around good writing and good art.

I want a good story.

I've been rereading Watchmen during the last week to get my mind off some of the ****ty comics that are coming out currently.

Why aren't more comics done like this? I want a graphic novel - with a beginning, middle, and end. I want it to be entertaining. I want it to be fun. I want it to have a symbolic message wrapped around good writing and good art.

I want a good story.

Watchmen is amazing. I'm just now reading it for the first time, I think I'm at issue 8. This is really, really good.

5/5, and I'm not even done with it!

I had a crapload of coupons for Border's and picked up Absolute Watchmen the other day for under $15. Go me.

The Absolute edition is 5 billion times better than the regular TPB. Besides the cool sketches and other extras, more importantly they fixed the coloring and it just looks way better.

E is right. While I wouldn't go so far to say that it's "5 billion times better", it is totally awesome. If I could have children with any comic book, it would definetly be absolute Watchmen.

I read Watchmen a few months ago and I can't forget it. I'll be thinking about something else and then I'll remember a phrase or a scene or an image. With a lot of books and movies and comics, things start to lose their impact if you think about them a lot. Some things never lose their emotional impact--the episode of Buffy with Joyce's death, for example. Another example would be Dr. Manhattan flashing back to his girlfriend handing him a mug of beer, or Rorschach talking to the psychologist, or the scenes of destruction in NY followed by Ozymandius' triumph.

Watchmen is ****ing awesome and it will never leave my brain, ever, even though I was initially underwhelmed when I read it.

I read Watchmen a few months ago and I can't forget it. I'll be thinking about something else and then I'll remember a phrase or a scene or an image. With a lot of books and movies and comics, things start to lose their impact if you think about them a lot. Some things never lose their emotional impact--the episode of Buffy with Joyce's death, for example. Another example would be Dr. Manhattan flashing back to his girlfriend handing him a mug of beer, or Rorschach talking to the psychologist, or the scenes of destruction in NY followed by Ozymandius' triumph.

Watchmen is ****ing awesome and it will never leave my brain, ever, even though I was initially underwhelmed when I read it.
I've never fully re-read Watchmen. I just get the sudden compulsion every once and a while to pick it up and re-read a scene or an issue.

Ior the scenes of destruction in NY followed by Ozymandius' triumph.

Totally. That whole last chapter with all of the scenes of carnage, then the resolution with Doc Manhatten painting Rorshach all over the snow.

The Absolute edition is even better because they fixed the coloring on it and it looks a lot better.

Just rereading through the thread a little...

I just want to add that; "Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain." goes in my book with Ultramans's "I do what I have done all my life. I fight to the very end!" as one of the best and most memorable lines in comic history.

I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after "I did it twenty minutes ago."Still shocks me,many,many,rereads later.

Totally agreed.

I did a book report on this once.

I got an A. Go me.

And Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, of course.

And that's all I have to say.

Last edited:
I just read the first chapter of Watchmen...

YAY!!!!!​

I'm loving it.

Last edited:
I just re-read it last night last night and this morning (phew! No easy feat!). My favourite chapter is definitely the one where Rorschach's origin is revealed. "It was Kovacs that said 'Mother...' and then closed his eyes. Rorschach opened them again." Awesome.

The finale is great, even if it's one of the most eccentric things ever.

Wow... I just finished this and... wow

Just so great, I feel truly depressed now.

My only complaint? Ozymandias didn't get his comeupins. I really wanted that bastard to die. At least the final panel gave me hope for that.

Still, so awesome

Latest posts

Back