Watchmen: The Video Game (no seriously)

That's interesting, I don't think the story ever said why exact mask crime fighters were out lawed. It would be interesting to see that and there's much more room for action. So if its a prequel I'm a little interested

It said in the graphic novel Vigilantes/Costumed Heroes were outlawed in 1977 in large part due to the Police Strikes and the ensuing riots. This game could concievably lead up to that.

It said in the graphic novel Vigilantes/Costumed Heroes were outlawed in 1977 in large part due to the Police Strikes and the ensuing riots. This game could concievably lead up to that.

Well in that case, surely it'll just be a game where you shoot gas bombs at protesters and shout at them with loudspeakers?

I can remember a fair amount of scenes in the early issues of Watchmen where Rorschach is running around, kicking *** in bars and back alleys to get information about the Mask Killer.

They weren't so much 'action' scenes as just gruesome interrogation scenes. They wouldn't be fun in a video game.

This game is basically going to be that. As I said, don't expect Watchmen from this game, just expect a small sliver of Watchmen best suited for video games (Rorscach and Night Owl kick ***...The End).

I just think it's sort of sacrilege to create or expand story elements for the sole purpose of having action scenes with two 'kickass' characters. If Rorschach and Nite-Owl were to be in MK-Vs-DC, it wouldn't be so bad, because that's just a fighting game, where you don't really care so much about the setting.

Besides, as said, its a prequel story set 11 years before the movie/graphic novel. In terms of comparison to the 1985 setting of the movie and novel, this game will focus on a slightly more innocent and less Apocalyptic time in the Watchmen universe. Back when they were all still costumed adventurers fighting crime.

Just...eh...

Watchmen is about more than just a chronological series of kickass events. It would just be undermining that, ever so slightly, methinks.

I admit I'm interested in the prequel aspect, if only because we'd get to see a more idealistic Rorsarch.

Well in that case, surely it'll just be a game where you shoot gas bombs at protesters and shout at them with loudspeakers?

Or, you know, do the super-hero stuff that was alluded to through the countless flashbacks in the novel.

They weren't so much 'action' scenes as just gruesome interrogation scenes. They wouldn't be fun in a video game.

Actually, to some degree, they would be fun in a video game. And as I said, this game will focus more on the super-hero past of the movie/novels, which was a substantially less heavy time in that fictional universe. Running around and catching criminals is perfectly suited for that era of the Watchmen universe.

I just think it's sort of sacrilege to create or expand story elements for the sole purpose of having action scenes with two 'kickass' characters. If Rorschach and Nite-Owl were to be in MK-Vs-DC, it wouldn't be so bad, because that's just a fighting game, where you don't really care so much about the setting.

I agree. However, I or you have no control over this game being released, its happening either way. So instead of just pissing and moaning about it, I'm looking for reasons for it being worthwhile, or at least fun in terms of gameplay.

In the novel we're given numerous references to Nite Owl and Rorschach's past partnership. It'll be kind of nice to have that aspect of their relationship fleshed out a bit.

Just...eh...

Watchmen is about more than just a chronological series of kickass events. It would just be undermining that, ever so slightly, methinks.

I understand what Watchmen is about. And I understand this half-assed attempt at a spin-off is just a cash-in on the movie and in a way stands for something the creator of Watchmen and the novels' intentions itself stood vehemenantly against. But boiling the game down (in relation to the movie/novel) to an episode in a series of "kickass events" is presumtive to say the least. Whether we agree on its being made or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is the finished product itself (its gameplay, graphics, and storyline). Considering we've seen very little to none of those things yet, pretty much ALL opinions of this game are without foundation.

DIrishB is so right about everything, it makes my balls ache.

We know nothing about this game, except that it's going to be a brawler, and that it's going to involve one half of the Watchmen creative team (Dave Gibbons) and a prolific comic book writer (Len Wein).

Watchmen's great guys, but for all the kidding we may do, it's not William Faulkner or James Joyce or Thomas Pynchon. It's a comic book, about superheroes. Sure, it's about the implications of vigilantism, but it's still about tights and spandex. There is background there that can be exploited to provide a decent framework for a video game. Sure, it won't do for video games what Watchmen did for comic books, but it's not claiming to. Sure, it would be great if they'd gotten the approval of Alan Moore, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Moore will ever approve anything that DC does with his properties.

There's no reason to turn into indignant snobs.... You know, at least until they try turning Maus into a video game.

Last edited:
DIrishB is so right about everything, it makes my balls ache.

I love that I have that effect on you.

We know nothing about this game, except that it's going to be a brawler, and that it's going to involve one half of the Watchmen creative team (Dave Gibbons) and a prolific comic book writer (Len Wein).

Watchmen's great guys, but for all the kidding we may do, it's not William Faulkner or James Joyce or Thomas Pynchon. It's a comic book, about superheroes. Sure, it's about the implications of vigilantism, but it's still about tights and spandex. There is background there that can be exploited to provide a decent framework for a video game. Sure, it won't do for video games what Watchmen did for comic books, but it's not claiming to. Sure, it would be great if they'd gotten the approval of Alan Moore, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Moore will ever approve anything that DC does with his properties.

There's no reason to turn into indignant snobs.... You know, at least until they try turning Maus into a video game.

Its so obvious that in a previous life, you and I were involved in a Vulcan Mind-Meld.

I still maintain that the greatest Alan Moore video game adaptation that could ever be would be The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

You know, if this game is as good as it has the potential to be..... I'm officially looking forward to it more than the movie. Because when it comes right down to it, I don't think the movie will be very good at all, and this opinion increases the more I consider it.

From the Wikipedia article:

According to Electronic Gaming Monthly, the game allows players to take on the roles of either Rorschach or Nite Owl II in singleplayer or cooperative multiplayer. Rorschach and Nite Owl are the only playable characters in the game's first episode, which comprises six "chapters." Cutscenes that look like animated comic panels, similar to those seen in the Watchmen motion comics released on iTunes, bookend each chapter. Two of the film's actors, Patrick Wilson and Jackie Earl Haley, provide their voices for their characters Nite Owl and Rorschach, respectively. The game features a mix of beat-em-up and puzzle gameplay, with the two characters having different strengths and abilities. Rorschach is faster but weaker and makes use of improvised weapons like crowbars and chairs; Nite Owl is slower but stronger and uses technological abilities, such as "screecher bombs." The characters must work cooperatively to pass puzzles and defeat enemies.

The game is set in the 1970s during the Crimebusters era, but little else about the plot is known. The first chapter of the game is a tutorial taking place while Rorschach and Nite Owl infiltrate a prison for unknown reasons. Underboss, a minor villain Rorschach and Nite Owl mention in the graphic novel as having been defeated by the pair in the past, appears in the game, as do other adversaries who are only mentioned or briefly shown in flashbacks in the original comic. Nite Owl's flying craft, Archimedes, appears in the game, but it is unknown if the player has control of the vehicle during the game.

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment was announced to be publishing two downloadable games during the theatrical and DVD releases of the 2009 film. Deadline Games is developing the two properties. WB took this low-key approach to adapting the film to avoid rushing the game on this tight schedule, as most film games are panned by critics and gamers.[1] The game is written by Len Wein, the comic's editor. Dave Gibbons, the comic's artist, is also an advisor.[2]

Electronic Gaming Monthly announced the title of the game to be Watchmen: The End is Nigh and had the game as its cover story for December 2008.[3]

A teaser trailer premiered on Spike's Video Game Awards show on December 15, 2008.[4]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back