What Do you Read

Currently reading two Flannery O'Connor books for AP summer reading (A good man is hard to find and Mystery and Manners). Any of you read em?

ProjectX2 said:
I've rekindled my love of reading books again since the sixth Harry Potter came out and now I'm just finishing The Da Vinci Code. I plan to read the original War of the Worlds and hopefully American Gods.

Any books you recommend for a person who likes mystery?

da vinci code worth reading? (i know theres a thread but im being lazy) i havn't dead the entier book for the same reason i never read guide to the galaxey, or lord of the rings, the first chapter sucked.

nigma said:
da vinci code worth reading? (i know theres a thread but im being lazy) i havn't dead the entier book for the same reason i never read guide to the galaxey, or lord of the rings, the first chapter sucked.

Yes, the book is worth reading. It's very well plotted and written. I'm reading Angels and Demons now. :D

ProjectX2 said:
Yes, the book is worth reading. It's very well plotted and written. I'm reading Angels and Demons now. :D

maybe i'll start reading it soon and finsh it in about 3 months 8) ...this is a stupid question..who's wrote Angels and Demons?

The person who wrote Angels and Demons is Dan Brown, who also wrote The Da Vinci Code.

i personally love shakesphere, his work is always layered with hidden messagery. sometimes you have to read his plays over and over and you'll still find somethin new. and being half greek im facinated with greek mythology. i remiember my grandpa telling me stories about achillies, hercules, troy, and of coarse my personal favorite, the oddysey. i love that story more than i love taffy, and im a man who loves his taffy. :wink:

nigma said:
You should read Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. If you've got the right sense of humour, its just about the funniest thing ever written. But Dirk Gently will always be my favourite Douglas Adams books.

My friend lent me The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy and I'm about halfway through it. It's really good.

Next on my read list is Ender's Game and then the rest of the Douglas Adam's series.

Ender's Game is different to the three that come after it, as well as the four or five that have just come out recently. The Ender three (Speaker For the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind) are all really heavy, futuristic, intense moral books. The Bean ones (Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant) I personally like better, but they aren't for everyone.

Ender's Game however, is definitely worth it.

Love Hitchhikers as I do, Dirk Gently will always be a favourite. Try reading the Salmon of Doubt if you can get your hands on it. Its basically the writing they found on his computer after he died. The man was a genius.

Can Ender's Game be a stand alone read? 'Cause I don't really want to read all the rest of them to understand the story.

ProjectX2 said:
Can Ender's Game be a stand alone read? 'Cause I don't really want to read all the rest of them to understand the story.
Oh hell yes. Its a solo book, with the others taking place so distantly in terms of character growth and sociological set-up that they could have easily swapped out some names and left Game a stand alone.

I would reccomend Enders Shadow though. It's Beans story, and just as good if not better than Game.

ProjectX2 said:
Absolutely. Its completely different tone and style to the rest of the books.

Just finished reading Spanking Watson by Kinky Friedman, the first book in a long time to make me laugh out loud on the train. Absolutely hilarious, beautiful wordplay too, the whole book flows perfectly.

Apart from that, the last books of any real interest I read recently were The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, for the second time (possibly my favourite book of all time) and Everything's Illuminated which I found to be a relatively poor, overhyped mess of a book.

I just started reading Ender's Game and it's pretty interesting.

Right...

Finished Ender's Game. Nice little twist at the end. May pick up the rest of the series later on.

Started reading The Resturant At The End Of The Universe. Wasn't as entertaining as the first one, and found it rather boring, so I gave it back to my friend.

Now I've started reading The Magician's Nephew, part of The Chronicles of Narnia. Never read any of this series before, but since it's a fantasy and the movies coming up, thought I'd try it.

After I finish that, I plan to read Animal Farm which I got from the library. It looks rather interesting, and I've been recommended to it by Cad. My auntie also says it's a good movie. Then, when I finish that, I plan to try American Gods, even though the copy I have is massive. Hopefully, those won't take too long to read through, but now that I'm going through exams, they probably will...

Does anyone else read books anymore?

ProjectX2 said:
Does anyone else read books anymore?

Yup, I just never noticed this thread before now...I'm just starting on the Dune novel series by Frank Herbert, his son (forgot his first name but his last is also Herbert, obviously), and Kevin J. Anderson. The series includes:

The Legends of Dune trilogy: The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin, and a new collection of short stories which comes out next month titled Road to Dune

The Dune Prelude trilogy: House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino

Herbert's original 6 Dune novels: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune, and the forthcoming last two novels finishing the original series, tentatively titled Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.

I just picked up The Butlerian Jihad a couple weeks ago, finished it a few days ago, and am now about 100 pages into The Machine Crusade. I figure I'll read them in chronological order, being such a timeline freak and all. So far the first two books have been really good. I'm very much looking forward to Herbert's original Dune novel series, especially the first three as those are generally considered the best by fans.

I'd recommend checking these out if you're looking for an intelligent, deep sci-fi story with a very strong parallel to our own world and culture. So far the first two novels seem to symbolize America's early history, featuring allegories for everything from slavery to beauracracy, to the civil war and even explores the idea of our creations overtaking us, and shows what can happen when we try to play God. Very interesting ideas explored through a very well-written and interesting story. Look for them if you get a chance.

DIrishB said:
Yup, I just never noticed this thread before now...I'm just starting on the Dune novel series by Frank Herbert, his son (forgot his first name but his last is also Herbert, obviously), and Kevin J. Anderson. The series includes:

The Legends of Dune trilogy: The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin, and a new collection of short stories which comes out next month titled Road to Dune

The Dune Prelude trilogy: House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino

Herbert's original 6 Dune novels: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune, and the forthcoming last two novels finishing the original series, tentatively titled Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.

I just picked up The Butlerian Jihad a couple weeks ago, finished it a few days ago, and am now about 100 pages into The Machine Crusade. I figure I'll read them in chronological order, being such a timeline freak and all. So far the first two books have been really good. I'm very much looking forward to Herbert's original Dune novel series, especially the first three as those are generally considered the best by fans.

I'd recommend checking these out if you're looking for an intelligent, deep sci-fi story with a very strong parallel to our own world and culture. So far the first two novels seem to symbolize America's early history, featuring allegories for everything from slavery to beauracracy, to the civil war and even explores the idea of our creations overtaking us, and shows what can happen when we try to play God. Very interesting ideas explored through a very well-written and interesting story. Look for them if you get a chance.
It's all about Idaho man.....

Gonna read Keeper, by none other than Greg Rucka soon.

Latest posts

Back