• Shooting

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sports

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Puzzle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Where's the "Other" option?

I have a definite preference for object- and character-based graphic adventures -- like the Broken Sword series, the Gabriel Knight games, old LucasArts stuff. Situation-based puzzles. Item-collecting. Not so combat-oriented as most RPGs.

Somehow, I feel that doesn't fit in with the "action/adventure" category listed above.

Last edited:
I enjoy Fighting games (like Soul Caliber, Tekken and DOA) for the most part, although I do play a lot of FPS and action games. I'll play RPG's every now and then as well, I guess. I've always liked over-the-top violent games though. Why? Because silly things like laws prevent me from knocking people's heads off with shovels in real life, so why not in videogames?

I voted "sports" but it could've just as easily been "puzzles" I guess. The only video games I play are the MLB and NBA ones, but I used to play a lot more of all kinds when I was younger. I'm also great at Tetris and Dr. Mario.

If you count crosswords and Sudoku, I love them.

My favorite game of all time is Trivial Pursuit. I've probably played a dozen different versions of that and I've rocked them all.

Since this thread was posted in the video games forum, I presume that is what it's limited to.

Yeah, that's why the whole first half of my post was about my favorite video games!

But there've been video games made of those others I've mentioned too. I just hate them.

Why isn't there an "All" option? I like all of those genres equally (Maybe less so on Sports, but I still enjoy them).

Last edited:
I picked action adventure even though it also counts as racing and shooting my favourite type of game are the GTA style games.

but very very close second is action rpg like KOTR where what you do actually effects the outcome and your character

I have a definite preference for object- and character-based graphic adventures -- like the Broken Sword series, the Gabriel Knight games, old LucasArts stuff. Situation-based puzzles. Item-collecting. Not so combat-oriented as most RPGs.

Somehow, I feel that doesn't fit in with the "action/adventure" category listed above.

Maniac Mansion! :D Day of the Tentacle wasn't bad either.

I like RPGs. I really like to get my moneys worth on a game so when they have a playtime of 40+ hours I'm happy. Of course I keep buying Nintendo consoles so I'm a little boned there. :? I'm in the middle of Twilight Princess right now. I started Sunday. I should be done tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Not working sucks.

My all-time favorite games were 2-D puzzles, back in the low-bit days. However, of all the options listed, I went with Horror, mainly because Silent Hill is still my all-time favorite game.

My all-time favorite games were 2-D puzzles, back in the low-bit days. However, of all the options listed, I went with Horror, mainly because Silent Hill is still my all-time favorite game.

Meh. Silent Hill wishes it was Resident Evil.

compound said:

By modern definitions it fits. Action/Adventure currently refers to story-based gameplay that may or may not hybridize action or inventory puzzle elements.

The other 'action' games you may be averse to tend to be broken off into their own genre (even if they are largely regarded as subgenres). Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are 'fighting' games. Doom, Quake and the like are 'shooters' or FPSs. And games like Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country or Pitfall! The Mayan Adventure are 'platformers', though they are sometimes bumped under action/adventure these days.

So, in essence you should be voting for 'action/adventure'. It just makes you hang it with the same crowd as soft-action, hard-adventure titles like Last Express and medium-action/adventure titles like Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil and hard-action/soft-adventure stuff like Dino Crisis 2.

Baxter said:
Maniac Mansion! Day of the Tentacle wasn't bad either.
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders forever.

Honestly, I think adventure games are silly. I mean, I have an affection for them, having played dozens and dozens of them in my teenage years --- The Pandora Directive, Inherit the Earth, Rex Nebular and the Latex Babes of Estros and Dark Earth, I could go on --- but they're pretty much absurd. It's the lazy writer's way of trying to implement characters and plot into an interactive setting.

I think my biggest problem with adventure games, is that a lot of their devotees talk about how they're 'deeper' than other games because they have story and character and that they decry the trend towards action and strategy as a sign that gaming is getting shallow and unintelligent. Which is a really stupid argument I doubt I'd need to explain.

I still play quite a few of them and I thought one of the last major adventure offerings in the 20th century, Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned was a good step (albeit a bit flawed in execution) in the right direction. It's too bad that it didn't sell well.

Joe Kalicki said:
I voted "sports" but it could've just as easily been "puzzles" I guess. The only video games I play are the MLB and NBA ones, but I used to play a lot more of all kinds when I was younger. I'm also great at Tetris and Dr. Mario.

If you count crosswords and Sudoku, I love them.

My favorite game of all time is Trivial Pursuit. I've probably played a dozen different versions of that and I've rocked them all.
compound said:
Since this thread was posted in the video games forum, I presume that is what it's limited to.
Crosswords, Connections, Sudoku, The 7th Guest, those all count as puzzles/classic --- at least according to how I remember they were classified in Computer Gaming World.

And on that note, my favorite game of that type is You Don't Know Jack 4: The Ride. It really messed around with the conventional YDKJ formula by messing with the questions and answers for people who buzz too early, and expanding the screw mechanic into a screw gun.

I also liked the fact that each 'episode' you play is a 'floor' on an elevator ride that thematically links all the questions (unlike the usual random sampling process of the rest of the installments). Also, to make things more interesting, the dollar value of each question is almost completely random.

Baxter said:
I like RPGs. I really like to get my moneys worth on a game so when they have a playtime of 40+ hours I'm happy.
I like RPGs too. It's too bad a lot of them are just crap.

The last great one I played was Planescape: Torment. It had a better sense of design than the Fallout series, though I have a greater affection for the latter.

Actually, Resident Evil wanted to be Silent Hill when it grew up.

Seriously though, if we're talking about which series is the better one, I think Silent Hill has Resident Evil beat by a long shot.

*shrugs* I like them both equally. Silent Hill has a better atmosphere, Resident Evil has better gameplay.

Entropy said:
Seriously though, if we're talking about which series is the better one, I think Silent Hill has Resident Evil beat by a long shot.
I agree.

But let's save the Silent Hill vs. Resident Evil debate for its own thread or something okay?

I like turn-based tactical squad-based games.

Jagged Alliance, Fallout Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics, Mission Force: Cyberstorm and Silent Storm.

Jagged Alliance 2 was greatness. It basically put you in charge of managing a squad of up to 18 mercenaries --- recruited off an Internet website that has an international pool of 50+ marksmen, doctors, technicians, grenadiers et al --- as you liberate a small Latin American nation from an evil psycho dictator who's like Imelda Marcos meets Shelley Palmer meets Insert Your Favorite Screeching Banshee Here.

Sure, the game is full of tactical depth that accounts for cover, range, fatigue and all that stuff. But it's biggest selling point for me is the loads and loads of dialogue and personality invested into the mercenaries. Each one has a unique voice and personality, such that you'll never feel like any character is interchangeable.

If fidgety hick Gumpy starts bleeding he'll escalate into a minor panic: "Hey that looks like blood... REAL blood... MY BLOOD!" But the calm stealthy Shadow reacts with only "I'm leaving a trail." Ivan, the Soviet legend, speaks 80% of the time in Russian.

They also have histories and relationships. Some mercs like each other. Some admire each other. If you have Igor in the same team as Grunty when the latter dies his response is, "Grunty! You were a great man. You could almost have been Russian."

Some just hate each other. One set of ex-lovers hate each other so much, that putting them on the same team results in constant venom between them. One time, I put together a squad of nothing but people who hate each other. The result? They exchange nasty words so often their caught unaware when the enemy shoots them in the back.

Jagged Alliance 2 is truly awesomeness.

Latest posts

Back