What should I read next?

Enough nonsenerry!

I have read the first volume of DMZ.

I liked it. It was very effective and enthralling. Unfortunately, the main character, Matty, sucks. He is just a very bland character without any dimension or interest. Everyone said the first couple of volumes are weak, and that's why. Matty is dull as hell. However, with the exception of a couple of confusing storytelling moments by the artist, the whole comic is very well realised and effective. There is a great wealth of interest in this warzone NY that works. I'll be picking up the second trade.

I liked it. It was very effective and enthralling. Unfortunately, the main character, Matty, sucks. He is just a very bland character without any dimension or interest. Everyone said the first couple of volumes are weak, and that's why. Matty is dull as hell. However, with the exception of a couple of confusing storytelling moments by the artist, the whole comic is very well realised and effective. There is a great wealth of interest in this warzone NY that works. I'll be picking up the second trade.

I think that's sort of intentional. Matty is weak. He's a young guy who hasn't come into his own yet and has yet to find a direction in life or a strong personality. It's something that becomes important in later chapters. But the early chapters are really more about the DMZ itself than they are about Matty.

Last edited:
Yeah, you have to remember Matty is very green to this side of the coin. So he's completely out of his comfort zone trying to find who he is and coming to grips with the importance of his role in the DMZ.

Yeah, you have to remember Matty is very green to this side of the coin. So he's completely out of his comfort zone trying to find who he is and coming to grips with the importance of his role in the DMZ.

Which makes it a real shame when
he becomes a total douchebag
, particularly because it's believable.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't mean he's "green" or just a n00b. I mean he has no personality. He's green for an issue so that he can be hit with some exposition, then he's used to being in the DMZ in a few issues. He's just has no character traits other than, "Reporter" and "Young and Passionate". There's no dimensions to him. Might change in a couple of volumes, but right now, he's a dull, uninteresting character.

The world, however, is very interesting.

I'd like to revisit this thread and ask for something new. Is there an "Ultimate Universe" equivalent for DC comics? Any suggestions?

I'd like to revisit this thread and ask for something new. Is there an "Ultimate Universe" equivalent for DC comics? Any suggestions?

I think the Earth One is suppose to be like that, I believe only one Superman arc is out, there's going to be a Batman. All Star was also to follow the idea of writers writing freely without the burden of continuity.

I am looking for something new to read (in tpb). I have it narrowed down to one of 3 titles, The Walking Dead, Locke and Keye and Y the Last Man.

I can't decide which I should go with, although I am leaning towards Y.

Anyone have an opinion on which I should go with?

Y the Last Man is the best of the three.

I am looking for something new to read (in tpb). I have it narrowed down to one of 3 titles, The Walking Dead, Locke and Keye and Y the Last Man.

I can't decide which I should go with, although I am leaning towards Y.

Anyone have an opinion on which I should go with?

start with Y, by the time you get done the next issue or trade of walking dead might be out to satisfy your mad craving for more of the dead.

Latest posts

Back