What type of villains do you prefer?

The Overlord

I guess it really depends on the story and how the character is used. I generally accept all types, if written well.

This kind:

ar119401186102816.jpg

Nyah! See?

Seriously though, putting definitions behind all these "types" of villains just seems silly to me. Good characters aren't written as heroes or villains. They aren't written as stock types. They're written as characters. Their actions should speak to who they are as characters and what their experience is, not according to backwards formulas.

Last edited:
This kind:

ar119401186102816.jpg

Nyah! See?

Seriously though, putting definitions behind all these "types" of villains just seems silly to me. Good characters aren't written as heroes or villains. They aren't written as stock types. They're written as characters. Their actions should speak to who they are as characters and what their experience is, not according to backwards formulas.

I fully agree with Zombie on this one. A villain shouldn't have to follow a certain trait. Sure most of them do but I'd really love to see something truly original. And all of these archetypes lump in characters together that are nothing alike. Technically Dr. Doom and Lex Luthor will fall into the same statistical categories that you describe but they are too seperate characters to be considered a certain stock type. The same goes for a Carnage or Bullseye or Joker type who are all on opposite spectrums yet very similar. I just don't like classifying them.

This kind:

ar119401186102816.jpg

Nyah! See?

Actually there tropes for those kinds of vilains: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DastardlyWhiplash

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CardCarryingVillain

Everything falls into tropes, everything, that's not a bad, its a just a fact.

So even though Joker and Bullseye are different they have enough similar qualities to share certain tropes.

Latest posts

Back