What was the voice in Blockbuster?

Goodwill

Yeah, umm, what about the voice that Jean was talking to at the end of Blockbuster? Are we gonna get an explanation soon?

I don't remember and don't have the issues with me - but she wasn't surprised by the voice, was she? And didn't it also approach Hank as well?

The voice that approached Hank was Emma Frost or one of the female members of the New Mutants.

Also, the voice seemed to be pulling her strings a bit. "Don't worry, we've got the professor," sort of reminds of me of Sinister... Hmm... Apocolypse, anyone?

That would be something, if it was Apocalypse talking to Jean, wouldn't it? I'm still pulling for Big A just being a hallucination, though. Apocalypse is just too powerful in regular Marvel, and, with a name like Apocalypse, he'd have to be damn powerful in Ultimate as well. Magneto should remain the X-Men's primary antogonist (I didn't like how powerful Millar wrote Proteus to be, either).
I also was thinking the voice would be related to Nightmare, but I like the idea of it being The Phoenix. It's a simple idea, but one that adds characterization (well, kind of) to The Phoenix. Also, it seems to me that every arc seems to be showing us something else related to the Jean/Phoenix situation - whether it be Jean showing control of the power, or being completely out of control - as though it's building to something big...

Yeah, I think something is adding up.

Also, the thing that is weird, though, is that the voice was in a white and black text bubble as opposed to the fancy ones that Apocolypse and the Phoenix both have.

Yeah, I think something is adding up.

I thought so, but Bendis never clearly explained it or took it any further. That is unless it was meant to be Emma Frost, but why would she contact Jean? Again, I don'thave the issues in front of me so I don't remember exactly waht the voice said to Jean...

Could be Kurt. He brought Jean to the Professor and seemed pretty concerened about her. Plus we have them seeming to be pretty friendly in Tempest. It's pretty standard conversation and until I almost missed it, thinking it was Scott talking to her, my brain didn't seem to notice the visuals.

Well, Emma is a possibility seeing as how she SHOULD have a past with the likes of Jean and Scott... Since those three are supposed to be the first X-Men, it should make sense, however, I think that little plot line has been dropped.

I think Emma predates any X-Men. I'd guess she was one of Xavier's students back before he and Magneto had their falling out. In Return of The King, Magneto seemed to think the other telepaths were too close to Charles, and I'd guess with that being his power he would have instructed most of them.

Anyhow I'm going with Kurt as those are normal speech bubbles not telpathic tought bubbles like when we see Jean and the Professor talking. There was someone in that room who had the ability to vanish before Scott turned on the lights. Only two people in the mansion has that ability, and Kitty isn't quite that quick, nor would she not want to be seen with Jean by Scott. And Kurt from his 616 history and from what we've seen so far seems to be the reflective consoling type, which fits with that conversation.

Anyhow I'm going with Kurt as those are normal speech bubbles not telpathic tought bubbles like when we see Jean and the Professor talking. There was someone in that room who had the ability to vanish before Scott turned on the lights. Only two people in the mansion has that ability, and Kitty isn't quite that quick, nor would she not want to be seen with Jean by Scott. And Kurt from his 616 history and from what we've seen so far seems to be the reflective consoling type, which fits with that conversation.

It wouldn't make sense in the story to not show him. The fact that the voice was only heard and the speaker wasn't seen was important; if it was just Nightcrawler being nice it wouldn't add anything to make him invisible. Besides, I don't think he can suspend himself halfway through a teleportation as would be required to be invisble like that; I think every time he goes BAMF the teleportation is instant.

Yeah, and Kurt makes a stinky smell when he teleports. Scott would have smelled it when he walked in the room.
I still think it was The Phoenix. Every arc advances this plot in some way by showing what Jean can do with this power, or what effect it is having on her.

But seriously, look at the dialogue:
a) The bubbles are drawn as if some one's physically in the room whith her, they're completely normal speech bubbles, no telepathy, no weird power being bubbles, just normal everyday speech. And it's not like the person was invisble, they were off pannel somewhere in teh dark part of the room, and only vanished when Scott came by.
b) "What are you thinking, Jean?"
"I killed two people."
"Two anti-mutant terrorists. They would have killed you first if they had the chance."
"They had families, children maybe.
" Maybe."
" I don't know if I can live with what I've done."
"Yes, you can. That's what the Prosfessor is here for. {pause} And I'm here."
Doesn't sound like anything momentous or supernatural to me. Though on second thought it doesn't sound too much like Kurt (though he mysteriously appears on the cover, he has the ability and was the one who brought Jean to the Professor - there's a few seconds between the voice's last words and Scott's coming to the door, so any smell could have evaporated). It does sound like Wolverine though, and he is known for his stealth abilities, and with everything that's happened he wouldn't want to be seen with Jean in private, nor would Jean want Scott to know he was there. Either way it defintely sounds like someone from the insitiute and I'll go so far to say as I'm certain it's not any special person or force, it's gotta be someone quite corporeally present, or the bubbles would have indicated otherwise.

Or maybe we're in her head, like we were with Sinister. Those speech bubbles didn't have any direction, but were obviously very potent in a sense that it was written strangely. You got a sense of powere when you saw the speech in those yellow text bubbles. This could just be Jean's psycology with the phoenix regardless of what the phoenix really talks like. Hell, it may even have been a fault. Maybe the bubbles were supposed to be phoenix-y.

I think it's a new manifestation of her Telepathy, a second Personality that she can talk to and be comforted by. Maybe the name of this invisable Friend is Madelyne Pryor.

I do want to see Ultimate Apocolypse, but I would prefer if he is an immortal Spirit, like the Pheonix Force. Pheonix is the power of life (as evidenced by her bringing those children back from the edge of death, and how she was about to ressurect a dead man) and Apocolypse is the power of death and destruction. I want Apocolypse to be carried by a teenager who didnt have a Proffessor Xavier. Some 16 year old boy locked up in an Asylum broadcasting the Psionic image of an imposing figure like Apocolypse. (I also don't think that Nathaniel Essex killed himself, he probably tried to, but chickened out. We still need to see his connection to Gambit)

I'm thinking either Apocalypse. Not saying no to Phoenix but leaning towards Apocalypse.

Apocalypse could be a voice of something. You don't know what and neither do I. If he was JUST the dummy seen at Essex's house then he wouldn't have been able to appear in the cell to tell him to choke himself. So he's obviously capable of independent movement. I'd say he's trying to recruit someone to work for him, possibly to finish killing the young mutants, possibly to do something else. Maybe just as a Horseman or something.

Latest posts

Back