Which DC flick was better?

• Superman Returns

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Batman Begins

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MaxwellSmart

I personally didn't like Batman Begins that much and really enjoyed Superman Returns, so it's a no brainer for me. I started this thread because I got into an arguement with my brother-in-law yesterday over which was better, and he was shocked I could consider Superman Returns better. He was half a sleep through the movie and he's always grouchy when he's sleepy, so I think he opinion is skewed.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

I enjoyed Superman Returns very much, very very much, but Batman Begins was nearly perfect in my opinion...

I say Batman Begins, if only for the Supporting Cast. Oldman as Gordon. Caine as Alfred. Freeman as Lucius Fox. And Liam Neeson as Ra's Al Ghul (well, Ducard, who is later revealed to be Ra's Al Ghul). Also, The Scarecrow was wonderfully done.

Superman had a great supporting cast, but I was expecting that. The biggest surprise was how likable Jimmy Olsen turned out to be (bowtie and all).

Lois Lane beats Rachel Dawes

But Batman beats Superman. Hands down.

I have to admit my big peeve with Batman was the end game of the... who were the bad guys?... anyway. I also hated the "super weapon" they planned to use, but this is all the science geek in me. To be fair, the throwing of Kryponite Island into space bugged the crap out of me.

The entire cast gave great performances with the note able exception of Katie Holmes. It just needed better writers.

I also felt the characterization was a little better done in Superman than Batman, but both were excellent.

My One Thousandth Post!!! I knew I get here eventually.

Last edited:
...Superman. Batman Begins was good, nay great, but Superman was friggin perfect. I watched the first two the day before and it was so god damned spot on... I was grinning like an idiot through the whole thing.

Thank you, Baxter, I thought I was surrounded by crazies around here. Or would that have meant I was the crazy person? No, Superman was better.

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:
Thank you, Baxter, I thought I was surrounded by crazies around here. Or would that have meant I was the crazy person? No, Superman was better.

Nay. The 2 of you are not alone. You have Doom's support in the fight.

Seriously. While Batman Begins was just a great film...not just comic book movie...but actual film, Superman Returns is just that much more greater.

Unfortunately this debate will be more in tune with who people think is better. Batman fans will side with Batman. Superman fans will stand along side Superman.

Superman is the better film.

Victor Von Doom said:
Superman is the better film.

That's not the average opinions of a few hundred movie critics.

Currently, Superman Return ranks at 76% on Rotten Tomatoes while Batman Begins stands at 83%.

That's not a crushing victory, but 7% is still subtsantial in a large sample group.

And beofre people get into it, I discount the opinion of one or two critics as easily as anyone else. But Rotten Tomatoes compile a lot of movie critics. 230 for BB and 158 so far for SR.

Of course, we are all entitled to our opinion. But BB has wooed a statistically significant higher percentage of its critics, most of whom have never read either comics. I say the edge goes to BB.

Last edited:
The plot of Batman was much better and had a better twist.

The humor and characters were much better.

Batman was just the better film.

I tend to like Darker stuff, I think most moviegoers do... So I don't think Superman has much of a chance of outranking Batman...

I felt Batman Begins was pretty much perfect. Superman was great, but it felt as if something was missing.

Plus, I like Batman more. :)

Batman Begins was far better for me...and I don't really read DC comics, and don't have much expierence with either character past their wiki articles/animated shows/movies.

I just didn't like Superman all that much:(

I preferred Batman, mostly because I liked Scarecrow and Ras Al Ghul more than Luthor (not to say that I didn't like Lex).

Bump.

So now that both movies are on DVDs, have you opinions changed?

Upon rewatching both, I still think Batman Begins was better. Batman is my favourite comic character of all time, and it was great to finally see an excellent movie with him in it.

I've never really loved Superman, I just thought he was alright, but Superman Returns was still good.

There is no debate that these two are probably the greatest superhero movies ever.

I'm still all about the Superman.

While Batman was a great movie---one of the biggets detractors of the movie (for me anyways) was that the cinematography was really subpar for an action film. With the exception of the training fights between Bruce/Ras on the ice----you could never tell what was going in a fight. The camera was jumpy...the cuts were to quick. It just really bugged me.

Singer had the picture just perfect. You could always see what was going on. He had just the right angles. The score was better.

To me---Supes was just the better film. Comparing them is like comparing between Bendis and Brubaker on DD. Both are superb....but you gotta like one just a bit more than the other.

I really dislike Superman. really DC but i like 52 and i like Batman. Now I like Ralph Dibny. That's a pretty good analogy on the ben/bru thing. Still, I don't know if i can bring myself to watch Superman. MY bf just bought Red Son and was told that it was really good. It was by Millar so of course. So if I can bring myself to read that, then I guess watching the movie is possible.

With the exception of the training fights between Bruce/Ras on the ice----you could never tell what was going in a fight. The camera was jumpy...the cuts were to quick. It just really bugged me.

They did that on purpose, they were showing the fight from the perspective of the bad guys, emphazing the fear Batman projects on them. But I understand why you didnt like it

Latest posts

Back