Who Would You Pick?

Bass

Nexus of the World
To replace Millar and Hitch, who would you pick?

I'd go for Warren Ellis writing and Adam Hughes pencilling - I don't care how much of a pipe dream it is.

Bass said:

I'd go for Warren Ellis writing and Adam Hughes pencilling - I don't care how much of a pipe dream it is.

No Warren Ellis on Ultimates. Please.

I'd wanna see what Grant Morrison could do. Maybe with Frank Quitely or John Cassady on art.

Now that's a pipe dream. Is there any body else who's as depressingly deluded and crazy as I am?

Last edited:
Bass said:

My thoughts exactly................................Sometimes all we have are dreams. :wink:

Hmmm... If he would finish his books on time. Kevin Smith... but then again we all know he wouldnt finish this books. and Terry Dodson. I like his style. It's really good.

I was thinking Grant Morrison too. Bascially, so long as someone who isn't America writes Captain America, we'll all be happy. :wink:

For some reason I've never got on with Grant Morrison, I think he's overhyped. And as for the artist, it has to be someone that is not only a great drawer, but someone who is very inventive too. Hitch is a great designer, something that a lot of comic artists are not.

Guijllons said:
Hitch is a great designer, something that a lot of comic artists are not.

Agreed. Did you read that article in Wizard about Iron Man's suit. I can't believe he really designed all the technology of the suit, even though it may never have any importance in the series. Do you think he'll give the new artist his Iron Man schematics (I know he has them).

moonmaster said:
I'd wanna see what Grant Morrison could do. Maybe with Frank Quitely or John Cassady on art.

I'd like to see that too. Definitely. Also, Vaughn could do it. Do it damn well.

I didn't see that actually. That's just what I mean, he has a great understanding of conceptualising the character and the organisation that they work for, and what they are doing. I just hope he remains on the books as a conceptual artists or consultant.

Also, from looking at the Captain Britain suit. Although it hasn't changed greatly, there are hints towards motorcycles, which Britain does have something of a traditional history in. Just tiny things like this make it work looking at every panel.

Last edited:
Ellis, sure.
Dodson... He doesn't strike the right tone for me.
Bare buttocked, big breasted beauties really are not synonymous with the Ultimates to me. It's a war book essentially, and should be drawn by an artist who has great experience in that arena.

Last edited:
Ed Brubaker, on the strength of his work on the current Captain America run, and Wildstorm's Sleeper. Just the right balance of posthuman craziness and oh-so-current 'realism'.

Pair him up with Jock (Vertigo's The Losers), who can handle all the geopolitical/espionage aspects perfectly, and illustrates wonderfully kinetic action sequences.

I'd rather just not see the series continued. Much like Bendis, Millar has defined and created this corner of the Ultimate Universe, and we've seen the inconsistencies and such that happen when other people take over his work. Imagine how much information about the Ultimates Millar must have in his brain, and imagine how long it'd take to bring another author up to speed. And while you can debate the merits of the artists all you want, it wouldn't be Hitch's art anymore, and therefore, it wouldn't look quite right to me. I would much prefer the series to ride off into the sunset on a high note than let a substandard team take over just so Marvel can try and keep raking in money.

jtg3885 said:
I'd rather just not see the series continued. Much like Bendis, Millar has defined and created this corner of the Ultimate Universe, and we've seen the inconsistencies and such that happen when other people take over his work. Imagine how much information about the Ultimates Millar must have in his brain, and imagine how long it'd take to bring another author up to speed. And while you can debate the merits of the artists all you want, it wouldn't be Hitch's art anymore, and therefore, it wouldn't look quite right to me. I would much prefer the series to ride off into the sunset on a high note than let a substandard team take over just so Marvel can try and keep raking in money.

But you know that will never happen right.

Anyways I would love to see Joss Whedon or Garth Ennis write because I love Whedon's writing and Ennis would be perfect to still keep the Ultimates dark and insane.

As for art I would like to see one of the Kubert brothers. But I think Jim Lee would be perfect.

So my main picks are Garth Ennis and Jim Lee.

(Maybe Bendis can take over and do my Ultimates Disassembled idea)

If it were my choice....

I'd happily wait another year for another 12 issues of the quality we've had from Millar.

12 months of nothing is so much better than 12 months of disappointment.
Not that the next writer won't be able to match Millar, but these last few issues have been.. frankly... superb.

icemastertron said:
Damn, you put up a good front, I admit.
Look at UXM. Colossus is supposedly gay according to Millar, but recent authors haven't really gone either way with it, Rogue went from being in total control of her powers to being essentially movie-verse Rogue (with the requisite Bobby/Rogue pairing), before quickly being carted off along with Gambit to try and satisfy the 616 pairing as well. Storm goes from crying over Beast in the Tempest arc to trying to hop in Logan's pants in the Fenris Twins arc. Another 616 pairing there. Am I the only one who thinks that Millar staying on UXM would have prevented some of this junk?

And am I the only one who is scared of what weird crap some other author might feel the need to do to our beloved Ultimates? Let's see... Janet will ditch Cap to go back to Hank, who will rejoin the Ultimates under a new codename... in 616, Hawkeye and Black Widow were in love, so Natasha will either ditch Tony or cheat on Tony with Clint (who happens to have a wife and kids of his own already)... we'll get thirty plus new members of the Ultimates that come and go through the revolving door... Tony will lose his company and either regain or rebuild a half dozen times... curing himself from cancer but then getting messed up some other way that requires him to live in his armor... *shudders* And that's why I think we should just end it with Ultimates 2 unless Millar decides to come back for Ultimates 3.

Latest posts

Back