• Blanche

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Rose

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Sophia

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Entropy

Ok, so sue me, I like The Golden Girls. In fact, I damn near love it. In fact, anymore it's gotten to the point that I can't go to sleep until after I've watched a double dose of it on Lifetime.

So, without further ado, who's your favorite? And don't try being, "oh, I never watched The Golden Girls" cavalier. EVERYBODY'S watched it. Before The O.C. there were The G.G. and everybody has their favorite. Now pick.

Blanche Devereaux , I would have hit that :lol: :lol:

Blanche Devereaux , I would have hit that :lol: :lol:
Sadly, she would have hit back.

"Don't you just love the rain? It reminds me of my first kiss!"

"Oh Blanche, your first kiss was in the rain?"

"No, it was in the shower."

Sadly, she would have hit back.

"Don't you just love the rain? It reminds me of my first kiss!"

"Oh Blanche, your first kiss was in the rain?"

"No, it was in the shower."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

by the way I was joking I would NOT hit that

We don't have a favourite TV character thread, but we DO have a favourite Golden Girl thread.

:sure:

then ...... make a "favourite TV character thread"

Last edited:
We don't have a favourite TV character thread, but we DO have a favourite Golden Girl thread.

:sure:
You'll get over it, Planet-man.

And if you don't, who cares?! I'm on my way to see Burt Reynolds!

SSJmole said:
by the way I was joking I would NOT hit that
You're missing out.

Last edited:
Dorothy. I've always found Bea Arthur's comedy to be hilarious. Although Sophia comes close.

Dorothy. Only because:

DPArthur.jpg

Dorothy, with Sophia being a close second.

In some ways, Sophia had one very clever schtick (cranky, foul-mouthed Sicilian grandma with no impulse control) that Estelle Getty absolutely perfected.

But Dorothy was a complete, well-rounded protagonist, and the self-deprecating humor added to her overall characterization.

I'm actually surprised Rose didn't get any votes. I always thought she was rather well-written. Everyone thinks she's simple and naive. . .until she gets serious. Plus, Betty White is just as awesome as Bea Arthur.

The only Golden Girl I was never really fond of was Blanche. Her character was often grating and Rue McClanahan wasn't exactly attractive, so the sex appeal fell flat. And it really wasn't McClanahan's fault, as she did rather well with what she was given, so I blame it on the writers.

I can't believe I'm analyzing The Golden Girls. . .

I'm actually surprised Rose didn't get any votes. I always thought she was rather well-written. Everyone thinks she's simple and naive. . .until she gets serious. Plus, Betty White is just as awesome as Bea Arthur.
I don't think anybody *dis*likes Rose, actually. And most fans would probably agree that her personality was more complex than people remember it to be.

I guess it's just all too easy for White's restrained performances to take a backseat to Arthur and Getty's more acerbic, piss-and-vinegar delivery.

The only Golden Girl I was never really fond of was Blanche. Her character was often grating and Rue McClanahan wasn't exactly attractive, so the sex appeal fell flat. And it really wasn't McClanahan's fault, as she did rather well with what she was given, so I blame it on the writers.
To be fair, even if you didn't like the sex-related humor itself, it was quite refreshing (especially during the Reagan era) to see middle-aged sexuality being acknowledged at all. And whether or not the jokes appealed to you, it was written in such a way that it never regarded Blanche's horniness as something to be mocked or disgusted at, just because she's a senior citizen.

Compare that with, say, Grandma's Boy, which came out just a few years back, and kinda poked fun at the idea of old women having a sexual appetite, in the first place.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody *dis*likes Rose, actually. And most fans would probably agree that her personality was more complex than people remember it to be.

I guess it's just all too easy for her White's restrained performances to take a backseat to Arthur and Getty's more acerbic, piss and vinegar delivery.

I suppose that's true. Not a favorite, but still well liked seems to fit.

To be fair, even if you didn't like the sex related humor itself, it was a quite refreshing (especially in the Reagan era) to see middle aged sexuality being acknowledged at all. And whether or not it the jokes appealed to you, it was written in such a way that it never regarded Blanche's horniness as something to be mocked or disgusted at, just because she's a senior citizen.

Oh, I have no problem with the subject matter. The Golden Girls (Along with a few other mid 80s sitcoms, like the Cosby Show and Roseanne) tackled a lot of social issues and changed TV in a lot of ways. I don't really dislike Blanche either; she was just my least favorite.

Man, do I miss the sitcom era of the 80s. Too much drama and reality bull**** on TV nowadays. Granted, I do love me some drama, but good sitcoms are so hard to find these days.

Latest posts

Back