Why doesn't Superman have a ward?

Supergirl or Superboy could count.

Krypto.

But seriously, what could he teach them?

"When I wrap my villains up with steel I-beams, I like to go counter clockwise. It's really just personal preference though, you can go clockwise if you want."

Yeah, you can count Superboy and Supergirl, but they're not so much sidekicks, at least the way Robin is.

And I have a feeling that probably wouldn't work out, as Iceshadow pointed out.

"Alright, first day as my sidekick, huh? I'm sure this'll be the beginning of a great partnership. Now let's get down to business. I hear a bank robbery going on across the city, let's fly there and take care of it."

"Umm...I can't fly."

"Oh. Well, I suppose you can leap there, I just hope you can keep up."

"No, I don't think you understand, I'm an orphaned young acrobat, I don't have any superpowers."

"Oh, wow, really? You can't even turn into water or something gay like that?"

"No, I think that was one of the Wonder Twins. Couldn't you, like, teach me some stuff?"

"Uhhh, no, not really. Jesus, this is embarrassing."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Um, I guess you can go back to The Fortress of Solitude and just hang out for the rest of the day. There's some left-over pizza in the fridge and you can watch tv but don't order anything On Demand unless it's free."

I think it's because they felt that a dark, brooding hero-born-by-tragedy wouldn't be accessible enough to happy-go-lucky pre-teens/youths as a bright, colourful super-hero is so Robin would give them a relatable presense to latch onto and aspire to be.

I don't feel that way but I know some people do.

I think it's because they felt that a dark, brooding hero-born-by-tragedy wouldn't be accessible enough to happy-go-lucky pre-teens/youths as a bright, colourful super-hero is so Robin would give them a relatable presense to latch onto and aspire to be.

I don't feel that way but I know some people do.

Except, that is why. Adding Robin was an editorial desire to bring in new reasons. Bill Finger thought there needed to be a Watson to Batman's Sherlock Holmes. Jerry Robinson was inspired by Robin Hood stories in the character's creation. And editorial wanted to pull in younger readers as an attempt to expand Batman's reader base. Superman didn't need that kind of connect to bring in the reader base. He was a happy, multi-colored flying guy. You don't need a sidekick to sell kids on a happy multi-colored flying guy. You might argue they circumvented the kid sidekick early on by telling stories about young Clark, the original Superboy.

But like everything in comics, there's a desire, years down the road, to find a retroactive, "in-universe" logic to why these things happen. And there's a fairly simple explanation we can make for it. Superman is the last son of Krypton. He helps people because that's who he is. And there's only one of him. Besides, as I understand it, he's essentially immortal. Batman, OTOH, is a soldier. He's fighting a war against crime, and he knows that the war likely won't be won in his lifetime. He needs a successor to insure that the war isn't lost.

Then again, why would a guy on a middle income be keeping a ward? Hell, who the **** keeps WARDS for that matter? Is this a ****ing Charles Dickens story?

For that matter, I'm curious. How did they explain the status of Bruce Wayne and the new Robin? He had a dad already, right? Was Tim Drake not associated with Bruce Wayne or was there, like, the idea that he was training him like an intern or something? What was going on there?

Last edited:
For that matter, I'm curious. How did they explain the status of Bruce Wayne and the new Robin? He had a dad already, right? Was Tim Drake not associated with Bruce Wayne or was there, like, the idea that he was training him like an intern or something? What was going on there?

I think he got training in secret first, then Bruce took him in when his dad fell into a coma. Now I believe Tim's dad is dead though.

His dad never fell into a coma.

At first it was a Terry McGuiness type of thing, Tim was hired by Bruce for odd jobs, and Tim's Dad didn't mind, as long as Tim's school grades stayed up.

Tim's Dad was killed by Captain Boomerang during Identity Crisis, which was after the point Tim told his Dad he was Robin. Bruce then took him in after that.

His dad never fell into a coma.

At first it was a Terry McGuiness type of thing, Tim was hired by Bruce for odd jobs, and Tim's Dad didn't mind, as long as Tim's school grades stayed up.

Tim's Dad was killed by Captain Boomerang during Identity Crisis, which was after the point Tim told his Dad he was Robin. Bruce then took him in after that.

Oh, I had thought I read that he was in a coma somewhere.

Why does Batman have a Robin?

Why doesn't Superman have a Robin?

More importantly, Why is Batman greedy and gets all the Robins? Thats why Superman doesn't get one, they all wanna hang around the billionaire with a cool car instead of the nancy who wears his pants on the outside.

Tim became Robin when he actually figured out that Bruce Wayne is Batman (something not many people, and especially not a teenager, have done) if I remember correctly.

And after Identity Crisis were Tim's dad was killed Bruce actually adopted Tim.

Latest posts

Back