Why I think J'onn J'onnz is Where Morrison Wants Him To Be

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
Just so people know, this contains spoilers to both Final Crisis and DC One Million. Though the later one has been out for ages now.

In the first Final Crisis, and later, in the One Shot focusing one what the heroes did with him, we see Martain Manhunter, J'onn J'onnz bite the dust. He gets killed by a fire lance through the heart. In the following one shot, he then gets buried on the surface of Mars.

Now, a few years back, DC celebrated it's one millionth comic book with an event called DC one Million. The basics of the event was the Justice League of the 853rd century came back in time to meet the Justice League of the 20th. They planned to send the Justice League to the future to meet Superman Prime, who was emerging from the sun after a 15,000 year stay in his fortress of solitude, which was inside the sun apparently.

Yeah, it's Morrison, he's a mind****.

Anyways, in the 853rd century, Solaris, the Tyrant Sun is now working for the good guys. Turns out that was a ruse as well, so he, along with Vandal Savage, set up a crisis, in which not only s Solaris made, but he manages to hide the last bit of Kryptonite on the planet of Mars (through a weird series of events which I'm not going to explain).

Now, in the future, as Solaris gets defeated, he fires this bit of Kryptonite at Superman Prime, but it doesn't kill him because, J'onn J'onnz switched it out with the last power core of the Green Lanterns. Now the reason why this happened, was because J'onn J'onnz became part of Mars, literally. When he finally emerges in the future, he raises himself out of the sand of Mars. He claims he has been in Mars for a long time (never specified), and guarding the last power core of the Green Lanterns for this day. He also came up with a strategy to defeat Solaris and Vandal Savage.

So considering Martian Manhunter was buried on Mars, and that in DC One Million in the future, he comes out of the sand to save the day.

I think this all fits under Morrison's plans, considering he wrote both series. He 'dies' in Final Crisis, only to heriocally save the day in DC One Million.

It all fits, though I'm sure they will most likely bring back Martian Manhunter back at some point, I'm pretty sure it was intentional for Morrison to have what happened to Martian Manhunter, happen.

I'll believe it as Morrison is constantly referencing his previous work. Characters and situations from DC One Million are also used in All Star Superman.

Yeah, I caught the reference back to One Million, mainly because I'd read One Million right before Final Crisis started coming out.

I doubt it's as simple as that though. I'm really not convinced that Morrison is taking Martian Manhunter off the table for thousands of thousands of years just to connect back to an earlier story. I'm betting there's plans for more story for the character in between.

Yeah, I caught the reference back to One Million, mainly because I'd read One Million right before Final Crisis started coming out.

I doubt it's as simple as that though. I'm really not convinced that Morrison is taking Martian Manhunter off the table for thousands of thousands of years just to connect back to an earlier story. I'm betting there's plans for more story for the character in between.

I think MM will appear in the same manner as in One Million, becoming Mars and all

I think MM will appear in the same manner as in One Million, becoming Mars and all

I'm imagining something more transitional.

I think it might be notable that the planets used to be symbols to represent the gods. Then again, maybe not.

I realize that they won't completely remove Manhunter from DCU completely, I'm just saying I think that its what Morrison wanted to happen, in a way to complete DC One Million.

That's all.

Is there a DC One Million thread? I don't know.

I read it yesterday. It was okay... not up to Morrison's usual standards. I find this true of most of his JLA run. But it had some neat ideas. I like how the characters used time travel as a weapon - constantly altering it in order to defeat each other.

I also like the idea of Vandal Savage and Resurrection Man trying to kill each other throughout history. That would make a pretty neat comic. You could use it to explore the history of the DC Universe at the same time.

As for J'onn...
does everyone know he's going to be a Black Lantern now?

I do think that Morrison's intention with J'onn was to set him up so he would eventually become part of Mars. This is what Morrison does. He connects things - stories, characters, symbols - this is his magic. He stated in numerous interviews that Final Crisis was going to be "that story" for the DC Universe - connecting and tying in to everything he had done - 52, Animal Man, JLA, Seven Soldiers of Victory... so why not DC One Million?

Is there a DC One Million thread? I don't know.

I read it yesterday. It was okay... not up to Morrison's usual standards. I find this true of most of his JLA run. But it had some neat ideas. I like how the characters used time travel as a weapon - constantly altering it in order to defeat each other.

I also like the idea of Vandal Savage and Resurrection Man trying to kill each other throughout history. That would make a pretty neat comic. You could use it to explore the history of the DC Universe at the same time.

As for J'onn...
does everyone know he's going to be a Black Lantern now?

I do think that Morrison's intention with J'onn was to set him up so he would eventually become part of Mars. This is what Morrison does. He connects things - stories, characters, symbols - this is his magic. He stated in numerous interviews that Final Crisis was going to be "that story" for the DC Universe - connecting and tying in to everything he had done - 52, Animal Man, JLA, Seven Soldiers of Victory... so why not DC One Million?

I agree about Morrison's JLA run, but I thought DC One Million was the highlight of his work on that book. It was a pretty good blueprint for what a superhero cross-over event should be.

And Solaris the Living Sun is just badass.

Last edited:
I agree about Morrison's JLA run, but I thought DC One Million was the highlight of his work on that book. It was a pretty good blueprint for what a superhero cross-over event should be.

And Solaris the Living Sun is just badass.

Yes. Solaris is awesome.

I do like Earth 2 a lot.

Latest posts

Back