Why new super villains don't work out

Okay, I think we are getting a bit off topic, besides the one example provided by Mole, can anyone think new villains introduced in the last 15 years that aren't: dead, turned into jokes or completely forgotten?

Just in comics or does Manga , cartoons , movies games ect.... count?

Spider-man fights bank robbers and mad scientists, not serial killers. Spider-Man is not supposed to be a dark book, so having serial killers as regular enemies doesn't fit the context.

I think having your first love splattered over the side of a bridge is about as dark as you get. And let's not forget, Spider-Man's origin hinges on the death of his father figure. He fights organized crime and homicidal lunatics in masks. I think there's plenty of pathos to go around, dude.

The Overlord said:
Okay, I think we are getting a bit off topic, besides the one example provided by Mole, can anyone think new villains introduced in the last 15 years that aren't: dead, turned into jokes or completely forgotten?

off the top of my head?

Bane
Victor Zsasz
Doomsday
Cassandra Nova
Solaris, the Living Sun
Harley Quinn
Mercy Graves

I'm sure there's plenty of others.

I think you're missing the point. Characters need time to become interesting. Do you think half of Spider-Man's cast were anything but silly for the first span of their life? How about Batman's rogues? Superman's?

Some of the new Brand New Day villains show promise.

I didn't read it but I thought people were saying they were cool. And I like the Hood so I don't see why that guy was bashing him.

the general knee-cap that BND has had so far is that the villains are half-baked knock off's of pre-existing Spidey ones

but we've all had enough of this arguement that I'm not going to list off the comparison's becaise I'm getting tired of hearing people claim that Menace isn't a goblin when he is(and Marvel admits that in the newest Spidey solits).....also I'm totally calling that Menace is Roderick Kingsley

The Hood may work for awhile, or until Bendis get's tired of using him, but this whole Villain kingpin thing is so forced, really Bendis just looked for a new barely used character with a cool visual, and round-hole/square-pegged him into his current role

Last edited:
the general knee-cap that BND has had so far is that the villains are half-baked knock off's of pre-existing Spidey one

but we've all had enough of this arguement that I'm not going to list off the comparison's becaise I'm getting tired of hearing people claim that Menace isn't a goblin when he is(and Marvel admits that in the newest Spidey solits).....also I'm totally calling that Menace is Roderick Kingsley

The Hood may work for awhile, or until Bendis get's tired of using him, but this whole Villain kingpin thing is so forced, really Bendis just looked for a new barely used character with a cool visual, and round-hole/square-pegged him into his current role

But the central character is still sound, even if Bendis uses him poorly. And Bendis does use him poorly, no doubting that.

But the central character is still sound, even if Bendis uses him poorly. And Bendis does use him poorly, no doubting that.

The central character was never really a Villain though, I mean he was a two-bit crook, that you were meant too root for

and he kinda repented at the end of Beyond! (the exclamation mark was part of the books title, i'm not yelling)

really Bendis may aswell made a new character

But I still wana see the Hood fight Moon Knight and Cloak, because I think hooded cloaks are cool visuals

Bendis put him into one of the pitfalls, Bendis wrote him as an "ultra bad@ss" who can defeat Wolverine with ease and boss around a bunch of villains (some of them not the type to take orders).

With hood it seemed he went too far, too fast, he would need a major rewrite to regain what made him appealing in the first place.

Bendis put him into one of the pitfalls, Bendis wrote him as an "ultra bad@ss" who can defeat Wolverine with ease and boss around a bunch of villains (some of them not the type to take orders).

With hood it seemed he went too far, too fast, he would need a major rewrite to regain what made him appealing in the first place.

I say, give him another miniseries depicting how he went from Beyond to New Avengers. Show behind the scenes why and how he hired the villains he hired. If any cameos are particularly ridiculous, hand-wave them by claiming someone created holograms or simulations or robots or something to make Hood look tougher.

Latest posts

Back