Why new super villains don't work out

I think that all the good superhero and supervillain ideas are already taken. This is why we have so many recycled superhero concepts today. Likewise, most advances in technology have reached their peak as the 21st century nears an end (I'm talking about the end of the world here, people, the end is nigh); I mean how much clearer can a TV screen get when HD is practically 3-D? Even moreso, society as we know it is coming to an abrupt end as World War III commences and weapons of mass destruction act as catalysts for maximum devastation throughout the world. The truth is, society and technology aren't advancing, they're reverting to their, for lack of a better term, "primordial stages" and we're likely to see some Korgoth the Barbarian **** going on in the future, that is if we survive. It's mankind vs. mankind and society will ultimately undo itself.

In other words, all the ideas have been used up, therefore continuing to make original comics is pointless. But I dunno, that's just my opinion. That might just be the drugs kicking in actually

Last edited:
I think that all the good superhero and supervillain ideas are already taken. This is why we have so many recycled superhero concepts today. Likewise, most advances in technology have reached their peak as the 21st century nears an end (I'm talking about the end of the world here, people, the end is nigh); I mean how much clearer can a TV screen get when HD is practically 3-D? Even moreso, society as we know it is coming to an abrupt end as World War III commences and weapons of mass destruction act as catalysts for maximum devastation throughout the world. The truth is, society and technology aren't advancing, they're reverting to their, for lack of a better term, "primordial stages" and we're likely to see some Korgoth the Barbarian **** going on in the future, that is if we survive. It's mankind vs. mankind and society will ultimately undo itself.

Uh, false?

Try explaining that to Warren Ellis.

Langsta said:
In other words, all the ideas have been used up, therefore continuing to make original comics is pointless. But I dunno, that's just my opinion. That might just be the drugs kicking in actually

I believe this is entirely untrue. Honestly look at the majority of superheroes and villains, and look at how many of them were effective and powerful characters when they first came out. There weren't a lot. It takes smart writers (like Geoff Johns) to make most of these guys interesting. I think a lot of the time we look at these characters who have long and extensive histories and we consider them sacrosanct, but they really aren't.

I believe this is entirely untrue. Honestly look at the majority of superheroes and villains, and look at how many of them were effective and powerful characters when they first came out. There weren't a lot. It takes smart writers (like Geoff Johns) to make most of these guys interesting. I think a lot of the time we look at these characters who have long and extensive histories and we consider them sacrosanct, but they really aren't.

Yeah, they're improving on established properties/characters.

Warren Ellis is another story.

There's plenty of ways technology can expand. In fact, I think we're on the cusp of a new and wonderful technological world. The thing is, we can't ever predict the direction that technology will go, but we can pretty much guarantee that for every discovery we make, there will be a whole pile of new discoveries just over the hill.

Langsta said:
Yeah, they're improving on established properties/characters.

They're taking inherently lame duck properties and characters and making them interesting - just like smart, bright comic book creators will do to the early twenty-first century and late twentieth century characters, say, five or ten years from now.

Last edited:
There's plenty of ways technology can expand. In fact, I think we're on the cusp of a new and wonderful technological world. The thing is, we can't ever predict the direction that technology will go, but we can pretty much guarantee that for every discovery we make, there will be a whole pile of new discoveries just over the hill.

We're not talking about technology, we're talking about supervillains. My mistake for bringing technology up, but it was merely an attempt at humor.

Last edited:

In 1899 Charles H Duell, the Commissioner of the US Patents Office said "Everything that can be invented has been invented." No matter how tapped out you think ANYTHING is it only takes the right person to revitalize it.

In other words, all the ideas have been used up, therefore continuing to make original comics is pointless. But I dunno, that's just my opinion.

If that were the case there would be no good independent books.

A lot of people were mentioning characters from Buffy or the Walking Dead. The point has already come up that it is the mainstream superheros that can't get new villains. I think that argument pretty much hit the nail on the head, but there is another segment to that. Look at the Sentry. From classic fans, who have been reading comics forever there is not a lot of Sentry love. He really has that whole "I can beat everyone and that is why I am A-list!" feel. Now I didn't start reading comics all that long ago (just over a year) so my interaction with the "A-List" heroes includes New Avengers and I happen to really like the Sentry because he is a conflicted hero with a lot of voice and character, and he has been there as long as I have been reading.

I think it is very dependent on what you expect from the characters and people want to see the characters they expect. It's just the case. Not a bad thing though I suppose, but probably a good explanation for why super villains are packing a few extra pounds these days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back