Wii U

Re: Wii 2 aka Project Cafe

Unless Nintendo stops messing with the third party companies/programmers, I don't see me buying one. Heck, my Wii hasn't been powered on for about 4 months now, there's just nothing compelling about Nintendo anymore.

But, just my opinion.

I think that tends to be the general consensus. 3rd party games, or lack thereof, is what seems to be hurting Nintendo. Seems like only capcom and ubisoft thrive the most on the wii, compared to most other devs.

I think that tends to be the general consensus.

Among more hardcore gamers, maybe. But it seems to still be very popular with more casual gamers.

In general I would say that since people have proven they will spend hundreds of dollars filling their rooms with life-sized plastic band equipment to play a single game series, you will eventually have to either stop playing new videogames or adapt. But even so, I do mean "feature" and not "require" at this point. You don't need to get up and swing the Wiimote for every game on the system, but having that for some games was a big step forward.

Anyway, why would you never buy a system like that?

Well, i'd never buy a system like that because I can't see three inches infront of my face without my glasses and I've yet to come acrossed any kind of over the eye prefial that takes them into account.

And it'd look god damned retarded. The power glove! Its so rad!

<---massivly dated himself.

I read that the Wii 2/Project Cafe is just the same as a normal Wii but it can make coffee.

I think that tends to be the general consensus. 3rd party games, or lack thereof, is what seems to be hurting Nintendo. Seems like only capcom and ubisoft thrive the most on the wii, compared to most other devs.

and Sega. You forgot sega. They pretty damn cool wii games. E.g Mad world , Sonic colours , The Conduit, House of the Dead Overkill and more

Among more hardcore gamers, maybe. But it seems to still be very popular with more casual gamers.

True, and that's why it's failing and Nintendo is now creating a new system to fill that void. The Wii could very well be Nintendo's Dreamcast if they don't do something drastic with their hardcore audience.

and Sega. You forgot sega. They pretty damn cool wii games. E.g Mad world , Sonic colours , The Conduit, House of the Dead Overkill and more

True, I just didn't add them because none of those games interested me. The Conduit always seemed to be Nintendo's lame answer for an FPS exclusive. Mad World just seemed like another No More Heroes, which didn't have a great open world and Sonic petered out for me after Sonic 3 which I still played vigorously until my Wii died.

I don't know. I wouldn't say that is why Nintendo is creating a new system. After every console, all the companies already start thinking on "what's next?".

I don't know. I wouldn't say that is why Nintendo is creating a new system. After every console, all the companies already start thinking on "what's next?".

Well, I'll hold judgement on your comment until E3 is over. I would disagree with you on the thought that Sony and MS haven't announced any plans and have stated such to the contrary in the past, but the year is still young.

The problem is, getting real sales numbers from Nintendo. They work like Microsoft and crow about the numbers in the retail channels (meaning how many they dump into retailers, not the numbers that people actually buy). It's so bad that we (Gamestop) have warehouses full of new and used Wii software.

I think that's part of my distaste for Nintendo anymore, we're told to literally "force" people into a Nintendo sale, just so we can offload stock.

Edit: Also, the "Casual Gamer" is something of a red herring. They bought the Wii en masse, but the thing is, they don't really by any other titles. So they have the game(s) bundled with the console, and that's it. It's why the top games "sold" are WiiSports and WiiSports Resort (@ ~70 million units and 30 million units respectively) and the "Active games" that sold big at launch and that are now flooding trade in retailers. Our used section of Wii games are insane, we actually have to keep a lot of titles offsite.

Last edited:

Well, I'll hold judgement on your comment until E3 is over. I would disagree with you on the thought that Sony and MS haven't announced any plans and have stated such to the contrary in the past, but the year is still young.
Everyone's already been working on the next system, they always are. Only difference now is that these gen. consoles will have a little longer life before the next model will hit the sales floor.

I heard ROB is going to be the centerpiece of the new system.

Nintendo-ROB.jpg

Everyone's already been working on the next system, they always are. Only difference now is that these gen. consoles will have a little longer life before the next model will hit the sales floor.

So we agree to agree, yes? I realize R&D never sleeps (i figured that would go without saying), but until we actually hear rumors or news of the next big console, my bet is that Sony or MS are not quite ready to reveal the 'next big thing' to the world. Fact is Wii's aren't selling like they used to and it's not as if they can just put out new hardware add-ons like the PS3 and 360 did. Now that the other systems are on par with the Wii's capabilities(and then some), there's not a whole lot of incentive to actually play the wii unless you're emotionally attached to Nintendo in one aspect or another (ie: me with all my old school titles).

So we agree to agree, yes? I realize R&D never sleeps (i figured that would go without saying), but until we actually hear rumors or news of the next big console, my bet is that Sony or MS are not quite ready to reveal the 'next big thing' to the world. Fact is Wii's aren't selling like they used to and it's not as if they can just put out new hardware add-ons like the PS3 and 360 did. Now that the other systems are on par with the Wii's capabilities(and then some), there's not a whole lot of incentive to actually play the wii unless you're emotionally attached to Nintendo in one aspect or another (ie: me with all my old school titles).
Ah, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I didn't see that you meant about 'revealing'. I had thought you meant they weren't working on anything at all.

Exactly. And just because they're working on a new system doesn't mean they don't know what the specs on that system will be. It would be amateur on their part to release information on a prototype system that ends up fundamentally changed.

But every family that's going to buy a Wii probably has, and probably doesn't have excessive spending budgets on video games. And the rest of the audience are the nostalgia crowd.

2 bits of news/rumours to note

First this is claimed to be leaked photo to do with pad :

Second :

Retro Studios is hot off a four game win streak thanks to Donkey Kong Country Returns and the Metroid Prime trilogy, but according to them, what they're working on for Wii's successor is "a project everyone wants us to do".

I spoke with two different people at the Austin, Texas based first party developer for Nintendo to see if I could get any more information on the "Wii 2″ which many are calling Project Cafe. Whatever the system's name ends up being, my sources at Retro Studios said that their company was amongst the very first to receive a development kit and that they've been on board developing a new project ever since.

More here : http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...n-a-project-everyone-wants-us-to-do-on-wii-2/

Some news :

Price :

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400

Power :
Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor

Look :

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

^ that's kinda how that picture I posted above looks in first square

control pad

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

name :

Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

read more here http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163362p1.html

I keep reading the title of this thread as Will 2 K Project Cafe and thinking it's a thread about the Will Smith song.

Last edited:

I keep reading the title of this thread as Will 2 K Project Cafe and thinking it's a thread about the Will Smith song.

You and me both.

Well, so far the system seems to fit my criteria and then some. For the current msrp, I can't see myself buying this thing for another two years after it's release unless;

(a) I see at least 3-5 games that I'd love to own on it
(b) we see the backwards compatibility come to fruition
(c) 3rd party support from more major developers (ie: DICE, Bungie, CyberConnect2, Rockstar)
(d) somehow recover my dlc wii titles onto the new system. I don't want to pay for Sonic 3, or my other old school titles, all over again.

and for once, in a long time, I would love to see an innovative and inspiring Zelda game, but that's apart from the system.

Latest posts

Back