Windows Vista

E

Excelsior Club
Has anyone upgraded to Windows Vista yet?

I (and some of the top leading experts) suggest you wait at least two months before getting it since MANY things doesn't work quite right yet (like graphic-cards, network-cards and a few other things). But that wasn't the question so I have to answer no on that.

I (and some of the top leading experts) suggest you wait at least two months before getting it since MANY things doesn't work quite right yet (like graphic-cards, network-cards and a few other things). But that wasn't the question so I have to answer no on that.

Actually I was going to ask if anyone knew how you can make sure your video card, network card, etc. are compatible. I looked for some kind of checker to download and run but didn't see anything.

Actually I was going to ask if anyone knew how you can make sure your video card, network card, etc. are compatible. I looked for some kind of checker to download and run but didn't see anything.
All the established brands are suppose to work with it but it's Microsoft's own drivers you have to settle with at this point so....... well, do I need to say more?

I was going to upgrade immidiatly, but I'm kind of on the fence now. I've been sick of XP and using a couple of Linux LIVE CD's for several months now...and am dual booting Kororaa. I've heard opinions on vista both ways; whats the general consensus?

I heard in order to install it, you have to give Microsoft access to the files and programs on your computer and then they are actually authorized to delete them if they want to, like if they find Pirating software on your PC.
:shifty:

Nope. Probably won't either.

Finances notwithstanding, I only upgrade for games.

I can't upgrade to Vista because I don't have the money for it and the system.

Even if I did, I would probably upgrade ONLY for games.

I still remember the broken promises of Windows 95.

eh. Get a mac.
I can't stress this enough but I would've gotten a Mac way long ago if I wasn't a hardcore desktop gamer.

Other than games, the only good thing about PCs is that you can actually save a lot of money building a custom built machine. I've saved thousands of dollars doing this instead of using pre-built machines.

Otherwise, PCs are really just for people who enjoy computers for their own sake --- the tinkering, the modifying, etc. But if you really don't care about that kind of thing and just want a computer that works well, rarely crashes then the Mac has always ruled.

I've been endorsing Macs a long time in spite of not owning one, and it kind of annoys me that it took the brand fetishism of the iPod to start converting more people to them.

Planet-man said:
Ugh, I know. I mean, when will they understand that you're a busy man and simply can't wait 5 whole minutes for a nude pictures of Captain Janeway?
:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I can't stress this enough but I would've gotten a Mac way long ago if I wasn't a hardcore desktop gamer.

Other than games, the only good thing about PCs is that you can actually save a lot of money building a custom built machine. I've saved thousands of dollars doing this instead of using pre-built machines.

Otherwise, PCs are really just for people who enjoy computers for their own sake --- the tinkering, the modifying, etc. But if you really don't care about that kind of thing and just want a computer that works well, rarely crashes then the Mac has always ruled.

I've been endorsing Macs a long time in spite of not owning one, and it kind of annoys me that it took the brand fetishism of the iPod to start converting more people to them.

Meh. Not a big fan of OSX. As you mentioned earlier; if you want any sort of customization, you need to buy a PC. I like to tinker with my machine, and that's impossible with a Mac.

I dual boot Linux and XP, and I don't think you can do that on a mac either.

I'll stick with XP

It does everything I need and a dash extra.

Meh. Not a big fan of OSX. As you mentioned earlier; if you want any sort of customization, you need to buy a PC. I like to tinker with my machine, and that's impossible with a Mac.

You're acting like we disagree when we don't. I don't really prefer a Mac over a PC so much as that PCs give me the games and the customization I want.

Also, customization is important to me because I am poor and need to find economical solutions to building the best rig possible.

But back on topic, I'm sticking with XP mostly because it still works for me. I usually wait until the last minute to switch to a new OS anyway.

And DOS 5.0 rulez!!!1111

I probably won't upgrade until I get my next computer which will probably be in about a year to a year and a half. I've heard Vista is awfully power hungry and is really only designed for people with rather new computers. It'll probably be at least a year before we see any service packs made for it.

I'lll probably pick up Microsoft Office 2007 when I get a new computer too, unless I see a really good deal for it. Has any one heard what's changed in Office?

I heard in order to install it, you have to give Microsoft access to the files and programs on your computer and then they are actually authorized to delete them if they want to, like if they find Pirating software on your PC.
:shifty:

You "heard" this? Where? Has this been documented? Sounds like an urban legend or misunderstanding.

eh. Get a mac.

I agree. OS X 10.5 sounds MUCH more appealing at this point.

I agree. Although I think OS X had a lot it do with it too...it's a pretty significant step up from OS 9.

But yeah, you're right. I've actually been in the Apple store and heard girls deciding which MacBook they want based on how cute they are.

The Mac OS X runs over Unix. And the Intel-based Macs can run Windows XP.

I'm not sure if dual boot means run both at the same time, which you can't do on a Mac, but I had OS X and XP running on my MacBook Pro for a long time.

I agree. Although I think OS X had a lot it do with it too...it's a pretty significant step up from OS 9.

But yeah, you're right. I've actually been in the Apple store and heard girls deciding which MacBook they want based on how cute they are.
Well, I'm no American so I really wouldn't know, but I was making that comment based on the fact that in the past, Macs didn't seem to really have much of a presence or a mindshare here in the Philippines.

That's probably because the Apple Corporation didn't really cultivate the same loyal consumer base it did in America with its well-known 'indie' roots and its heavily marketed countercultural vibe. That's why to me, Apple is largely a technocultural phenomenon limited to First World areas like Japan, UK and the US.

But now that we're living in an era of technofetishism --- sexy mobile phones, music players built to invoke hip cache and multimedia authoring applications made to make EVERYONE an artist no matter how amateur --- it seems like this is what is making Apple the bigtime company outside of America.

And I find this boggling, perplexing and absurd for people to 'discover' the desktop/laptop computers of the Apple Corporation SO late. By 'discover' I mean that in the Columbus sense of the word. And by 'absurd' I mean that Apple has long emphasized the importance of the user experience than the actual technology itself that for this revelation to occur so late just bothers me.

I mean when people tell me that it's so great to finally have a user friendly desktop and not worry about the technology under the hood, I get bothered because I think to myself, "It took you that long to know this stuff existed?"

But on a final note, I have no problem with teenage girls purchasing their computers based on aesthetics alone. It's great that they can buy something that's meant to be useful and have to only worry about their looks, because let's face it, not EVERY consumer needs to worry about the technology under the hood. It empowers the non-enthusiast computer user to actually buy a computer without needing to learn a completely new consumer language.

You "heard" this? Where? Has this been documented? Sounds like an urban legend or misunderstanding.

It is. In fact it's such malarky that I couldn't help but laugh, quite loudly I might add.

The Air Force will be upgrading to Vista probably within the next 6 months. It takes a while to get blanket liscencing for programs. Since I'm not reallt a huge computer nerd....I could care less.

Latest posts

Back