Wiz-World Philly weekend schedule & More.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Here's whats going down starting tomorrow. Expect me delivering more Wiz World news. :wink:

From Newsarama:

NEWSARAMA COVERS WIZARDWORLD: PHILLY
The summer comic book convention season kicks off in earnest this weekend as Wizardworld: Philadelphia descends on the City of Brotherly Love this Friday-Sunday, June 3rd – 5th.

Word around the industry water cooler is a few major announcements could be made during the weekend, and as usual Newsarama will be there to cover the action, provide new preview images debuting at the con, and follow-up on some of the big stories with expanded coverage.

Here's a timetable of the panels Newsarama plans to cover. Look for coverage from the panels beginning as early as announcements are made and throughout the hours that follow.

Friday

2:00pm EST - Crisis Counseling with Dan Didio (DC's Infinite Crisis/Countdown)

3:30pm EST - X-Men: Things to Come

Saturday

11:00am EST - House of M (Marvel's summer event)

1:00pm EST – J. Michael Straczynski Q&A

2:30pm EST - DCU Coming Attractions

4:00pm EST - Cup 'O Joe (Joe Quesada Q&A)

5:00pm EST - Wild, Weird & Wonderful: Vertigo/Wildstorm

Sunday

12:30pm EST - Year of the Bat (Batman)

2:00pm EST - Ultimate Line (Marvel's Ultimate Universe)

*Red= Finished

Last edited:
Wizard World Philly

Ice, I know you are planning to go, but are any other people going to show up? On Sunday, Newsarama revealed, that there would be a time period devoted to the Ultimate Line, which should be interesting... Ice, be sure to cover this for us... It's this weekend!

Actually, I can't go. If I was, I'd be gone today. :cry:

Plans had to change because I needed to save up money. I had to cut somethigns out, and this was one. But no need to fear, we'll have Newsarama who's always on it like stink on monkey.

I wasn't even aware there was one coming up. I would love to go, but I can't go by myself... I have no one to go with :(

I might be going to Wizard World Chicago later this summer. I went to it last year. My first convention ever. I planned to get some comics autographed (Mark Millar, Alex Ross), but when I saw how long the lines were, I decided not to. My sister was hoping to meet Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes (specifically Jason Mewes. She wants to marry him) but about 20 minutes after we got there, they announced that the tickets had sold out. :( I bought some sweet stuff though, which was great. If I go this year I have to get some of the new Marvel Legends figures and maybe some of the Kill Bill action figures. :D

Yeah, I really wish I could've gone to Philly, but I've got too many things going on right now that I really couldn't have found time for it. I'm sure going to a convention is an experience all to itself! ;)

I wanna go! :cry: Crisis Counseling and the Vertigo bit alone wouls make it worth while to me. :cry:

Goodwill said:
We should go to a convention as a board. ;)
Now that, is an idea that rocks. :p

UltimateE: Either you kids be quiet or I'm turning us right back around and where all going to go home with nothing!

Ladies and gents! First up....X-Men pics.

All thanks to Newsarama:

New Excalibur
New_Excalibur.jpg

Excalibur Sketches:
Excalibur_sketch_1.jpg
Excalibur_sketch_2.jpg
Excalibur_sketch_3.jpg

Chris Bachalo- Artist on Uncanny X-Men:
Uncanny_Bachalo.jpg
Uncanny_464.jpg

Colossus: Bloodline by David Hine and interrior art by Jorge Lucas:
Bloodline.jpg

And some "X-teases":
Exiles_World_Tour.jpg
Xmen_175.jpg

Last edited:
Is that Bishop on that Uncanny cover? What did he get his face hit with a shovel or something?!

UltimateE said:
Is that Bishop on that Uncanny cover? What did he get his face hit with a shovel or something?!
He's also obviously been reading up on Liefield style muscles, good God.

The Bacchalo covers are better than his other stuf but still pretty low quality. The Excalibur stuff is nice enough

The X-men cover is good too

I'm not a huge fan though of the Colossus cover, its pretty...blegh. Not looking forward to that series :?

Loving the New Excalibur cover.

Bachalo's cover look better than his last covers. The second one is better than the first one.

The Colossus one looks good. But I'm not gonna say I'm not looking forward to it just cuz of the cover.

The Exile shirt is funny, and the X-Men one is awesome.

Is that the costume Havok is currently wearing now? I stopped reading 616 X-Men books at the reset a while back, but it's nice to see they took the best parts of both his original 2 costumes and combined them. I hated his antennae thingy.

The Update:

Claremont named the lineup for the November-debuting New Excalibur: Nocturne, Juggernaut, Dazzler, Sage, Pete Wisdom, and Captain Britain. The writer said that the new series will go back to basics, as the team takes the responsibility of cleaning up a major repercussion that comes as a result of House of M, adding that the title will be for fans who are looking for cosmic comedy, romance, and adventure in their books. Obviously, it's set in England as well.

Asked why he chose to use Pete Wisdom (a character created by Warren Ellis), Claremont said he'd been something of a secret admirer of Ellis work, ("even when I wanted to beat him with a stick" Claremont joked) and felt Wisdom was a wonderful character to use. The writer added that things between Wisdom and a "certain brunette" will pick up right away. As for another reason to use Wisdom, Claremont jokingly said that other creators had been stealing his characters for years, so it was time to "steal some back."

More art from New Excalibur by Michael Ryan (Captain Britain - the male one, Juggernaut, and Dazzler):

Chris Bachalo will debut as the regular penciler on Uncanny X-Men, (as announced right here at Newsarama earlier today by Joe Quesada in his weekly Joe Fridays Q&A) with issue #464.:

Colossus: Bloodline, written by David Hine with interiors by Jorge Lucas (also announced in Joe Fridays). - Speaking to the upcoming Colossus: Bloodline, Quesada reiterated what he had said a couple of weeks abck in his Joe Fridays column that solo X-minis needed to be special and carry a significant impact for the character, and Bloodline, by David Hine and Jorge Lucas, does.

The creative team for Wolverine #33-#35 (a House of M tie-in arc) will be Daniel Way and Javier Saltares. Quesada declined to name the ongoing creative team for the series following the HoM tie-in.

As the image below shows, Exiles goes on a "Worlds Tour" starting with #69, and running through issue #82. The first issue will mark the debut of Paul Pelletier on the series, re-teaming him on a regular basis with his former Negation War partner, Tony Bedard.

New X-Men will see a creative team shift, with Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost coming on board as writers, and Mark Brooks joining as penciler. Given that Yost and Kyle created X-23, the clawed teen female will join the cast with the new team's first issue, #20.

It was reiterated that an entire, full year of Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday is coming.

Asked about Wolverine being on the New Avengers, Quesada said that it will be a different kind of "membership" than what many fans may expect, and, given that he just showed up in New Avengers, urged people to wait and see what Brian Bendis has planned.

Quesada also reiterated that House of M will have major repercussions for Jamie Madrox, the Multiple Man, and these will be touched upon after House of M.

Asked who the third Summers brother was, Quesada said he had no idea, and turned to Claremont, who replied with a "Yep." The writer added that the question will be addressed in X-Men: The End v2 #5.

Speaking as to why Marvel seems to continually kill Jean Grey, Quesada joked that she was the Kenny of Marvel's South Park. On the more serious side, Quesada said that she wasn't coming back, and that she's really dead…today. Quesada continued, saying that he still feels that characters should only come back from the dead if the return is part of a great story, and given the poignancy and heart of Greg Pak and Greg Land's Endsong, it would be a major challenge to tell of her return.

Naturally, the panel was asked a question if House of M was an alternate universe, Quesada reiterated that it's not, and that there will be major repercussions throughout the Marvel Universe. "Fans will be hugely surprised and hugely depressed" at the coming changes, he added.

Also on the House of M front, Quesada stated that this summer's crossover storyline is only the beginning, and that there will be five major "tentpole" events coming in 2006.

Asked about coming changes in the X-Men, Claremont said that there will be changes as a result of House of M, as well as events in solo titles, such as Wolverine, and Phoenix: Endsong. It was hinted that the entire cast of the X-Men will be up for grabs in the coming months.

icemastertron said:
Claremont named the lineup for the November-debuting New Excalibur: Nocturne, Juggernaut, Dazzler, Sage, Pete Wisdom, and Captain Britain. The writer said that the new series will go back to basics...

Isn't that what he said the frist time about the Last EXALIBUR title?

Claremont jokingly said that other creators had been stealing his characters for years, so it was time to "steal some back."

Claremont then wiped his mouth off, zipped up, and offered his own unique brand of Kool-Aid to anyone else who wanted some.

Asked about Wolverine being on the New Avengers, Quesada said that it will be a different kind of "membership" than what many fans may expect, and, given that he just showed up in New Avengers, urged people to wait and see what Brian Bendis has planned.

Quesada then tried to explain that there was more to Wolverine's apperance in New Avengers than just trying to sell more comics by slapping Logan in them, but it was hard to hear him over all the laughter from the audience.

Quesada also reiterated that House of M will have major repercussions for Jamie Madrox, the Multiple Man, and these will be touched upon after House of M.

Quesada agreed that his original idea of MADROX: DISASSEMBLED, was kind of redundant and nonsensical.

Asked who the third Summers brother was, Quesada said he had no idea, and turned to Claremont, who replied with a "Yep." The writer added that the question will be addressed in X-Men: The End v2 #5

Yep Summers, aka Affirmative Man, will be appearing in various X-titles. No word yet on what Corsair was smoking when he came up with that name.

Speaking as to why Marvel seems to continually kill Jean Grey, Quesada joked that she was the Kenny of Marvel's South Park. On the more serious side, Quesada said that she wasn't coming back, and that she's really dead…today.

Quesada also said that Jean Grey may also be dead... tomorrow. And possibly... the next day. But nothing was certain.

Naturally, the panel was asked a question if House of M was an alternate universe, Quesada reiterated that it's not, and that there will be major repercussions throughout the Marvel Universe. "Fans will be hugely surprised and hugely depressed" at the coming changes, he added.

Upon admitting that the upcoming arc would be "hugely depressing", Quesada's truth inhibitor coupling started to smoke and shoot sparks and he was shut down for several minutes, while Claremont replied with a "Yup" and then stared silently into space.

Also on the House of M front, Quesada stated that this summer's crossover storyline is only the beginning, and that there will be five major "tentpole" events coming in 2006.

The "tentpole" events were then listed, in order: Black Cat, Storm, Emma Frost, Scarlet Witch, and Gwen Stacy in a spa filled with Jell-o. No word was given as to why Elektra was being left off the list.

Trauma said:
Claremont jokingly said that other creators had been stealing his characters for years, so it was time to "steal some back."

Claremont then wiped his mouth off, zipped up, and offered his own unique brand of Kool-Aid to anyone else who wanted some.

Quesada then tried to explain that there was more to Wolverine's apperance in New Avengers than just trying to sell more comics by slapping Logan in them, but it was hard to hear him over all the laughter from the audience.

Quesada agreed that his original idea of MADROX: DISASSEMBLED, was kind of redundant and nonsensical.

Asked who the third Summers brother was, Quesada said he had no idea, and turned to Claremont, who replied with a "Yep." The writer added that the question will be addressed in X-Men: The End v2 #5

Yep Summers, aka Affirmative Man, will be appearing in various X-titles. No word yet on what Corsair was smoking when he came up with that name.

Speaking as to why Marvel seems to continually kill Jean Grey, Quesada joked that she was the Kenny of Marvel's South Park. On the more serious side, Quesada said that she wasn't coming back, and that she's really dead…today.

Quesada also said that Jean Grey may also be dead... tomorrow. And possibly... the next day. But nothing was certain.

Upon admitting that the upcoming arc would be "hugely depressing", Quesada's truth inhibitor coupling started to smoke and shoot sparks and he was shut down for several minutes, while Claremont replied with a "Yup" and then stared silently into space.

The "tentpole" events were then listed, in order: Black Cat, Storm, Emma Frost, Scarlet Witch, and Gwen Stacy in a spa filled with Jell-o. No word was given as to why Elektra was being left off the list.
.... :neutral:

Last edited:
The "Floor Buzz".

From Neswarama:

"Two relatively important notes of floorbuzz picked up from the currently running WizardWorld: Philadelphia.

1) Though not confirmed on Wizard's own website, Newsarama has learned that, pending last minute schedule changes, Frank Miller will be a guest of honor at WizardWorld: Chicago August 4th – 7th. The move marks what may be the apparent end of an extended chilly period between Miller and Wizard, dating back to 2001 when he tore up a copy of Wizard at the Harvey Awards ceremony at the Pittsburgh Comicon. Since that incident, Wizard, which had formerly covered Miller and his works relatively extensively (even producing a Sin City #1/2 issue), rarely, if ever covered Miller. As Newsarama has been told, overtures were made by various third parties over the years, but demands for formal written apologies most often killed the chances at reconciliation.

The distance between the parties was seen most clearly with the magazine's cursory (if that much) coverage of the Sin City film during the course of its production. While the details on what got the two parties talking again aren't fully known, speculation leans on the strained Miller-Wizard relationship as being an untenable position in light of the marketing and publicity push Wizard could afford July's All-Star Batman & Robin: The Boy Wonder, written by Miller.

2) Also not confirmed on Wizard's website, but sounding like a sure thing on the floor is the debut next year of a sixth WizardWorld, in Atlanta in June. Philadelphia marks the second time a report of such an additional show has surfaced, with indicators pointing towards Atlanta as much more likely than a WizardWorld show debuting in the Northwest in 2006.

If a sixth show is a reality in the late spring of 2006, it would undoubtedly push WizardWorld: Philadelphia back into May (possibly to where it would occur on the same weekend as BEA, as with this year, as BEA is moving to May in 2006 as well). Again, if an Atlanta show does occur, it will, as with all other Wizard shows, force shows in the same region to reassess their plans, timing, and guests, while a ripple effect will be seen throughout the entire convention schedule as other conventions adjust to allow time in between major shows.

Likewise, as many industry observers have pointed out, it will be interesting to see where the breaking point of the number of Wizard shows for publishers lies. Publishers, both large and small have told Newsarama that Wizard shows, by and large, are good at getting people in the door, but again, publishers, both large and small have only so many dollars in their convention budgets to spend before everyone's setup is a tablecloth and a bowl of candy."

Latest posts

Back