Women in comics

Storm is popular beacuse she was played by Halle Berry :lol:

Notice that you mentioned:

* 3 characters created by Brian K. Vaughan;

* 3 lesbians (4, if you believe that Nico is bisexual; subject to interpretation -- she might be bi, but genuinely regards Karolina, in particular, as a sister/friend)

3 lesbians?! Well I know Dr. Mann is, I didn't realize that Cassandra and 355 were also. (I'm behind in my Y trades, stupid Amazon)

Also, are the Y the Last Man characters honestly "popular"? I know the series definitely is (and I like it as much as the next guy), but how much of a following do the *characters* have, individually?

Yeah I guess you're right, would Blink count?

I think there's a lot of strong female characters out there, and a number of them have extremely prominent places in their universe. There's the Birds of Prey, Manhunter, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight, She-Hulk... and these characters typically don't wear outfits that are particularly outrageous (Well, Colleen and Misty.... but that fits the characters). Everyone in superhero comics is idealized, and everyone wears a stupid costume. I think the best we can hope for right now is to continue to have quality stories being told about strong female characters. And looking at the sort of esteem some of these books get, I think we're in a pretty strong place. We can open up comics to more female readership (especially with people like Whedon and Vaughan around), but it's an uphill battle.

Moderately Popular Non-White Female Comic Characters:

Ultimate Wasp
Renee Montoya/(the new) Question
Vixen (DC; mostly because of her role in the JLU cartoon)
Lady Shiva
Colleen Wing
Misty Knight
Monica Rambeau (more of a cult following; largely because of her involvement in Nextwave!)
Sunfire (Exiles; female version)
Rainmaker (Gen13 -- another lesbian, I might add)
Jenny Quantum (The Authority)
Swift (The Authority)
Jakita Wagner (Planetary; ethnicity indeterminate at start of series; but definitely of mixed/inter-racial parentage, based on physical appearance)
Jubilee (not as much now; but definitely in the 90s)
Karma (New Mutants/New X-Men; also a lesbian in mainstream Marvel continuity)
Katana (Outsiders)

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of strong female characters out there, and a number of them have extremely prominent places in their universe. There's the Birds of Prey, Manhunter, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight, She-Hulk... and these characters typically don't wear outfits that are particularly outrageous (Well, Colleen and Misty.... but that fits the characters). Everyone in superhero comics is idealized, and everyone wears a stupid costume. I think the best we can hope for right now is to continue to have quality stories being told about strong female characters. And looking at the sort of esteem some of these books get, I think we're in a pretty strong place. We can open up comics to more female readership (especially with people like Whedon and Vaughan around), but it's an uphill battle.

I actually think that Renee Montoya (The new Question) is a strong female character who dresses conservatively. You know, when she's not having sex with Bat Woman.

I actually think that Renee Montoya (The new Question) is a strong female character who dresses conservatively. You know, when she's not having sex with Bat Woman.

I don't know. We'll see about that.... I liked Renee better when she was a detective. Her transformation really didn't do it for me, and I really didn't feel the character's change. If DC had given Rucka the Question series he pitched to them, then I bet Renee and Batwoman would both turn out to be strong characters, but they're going to be shelved and forgotten.

3 lesbians?! Well I know Dr. Mann is, I didn't realize that Cassandra and 355 were also. (I'm behind in my Y trades, stupid Amazon)
Uh oh! I didn't mean to spoil the reveal about 355. Damn. I kinda assumed that everybody was up to speed about this. :oops:

I'm REALLY sorry.

However, I'm kinda surprised that you weren't aware of Cassandra Cain's sexuality, because when it was first announced (via a DC press statement), there was considerable hype and buzz in the "mainstream"/non-comics media, due to the 'controversy' of introducing a prominent lesbian character.

I think getting more women readers will boost it a lot, but as I pointed out to Bass, I think one of the best things to do would be to make statues and covers less stupid and awful. Not that many covers and statues aren't wonderful and provide equal-opportunity ***-kicking and sexiness opportunities, but if the average woman on the street (or male active in feminist causes, or pretty much anyone who hasn't been desensitized to that stuff) walks into a store and see **** like the stuff I posted in response to Bass, I don't think they'd stick around long enough to see the good stuff.

Iceshadow said:

The only thing we know about 355 regarding her sexual preferences
is that she seems to like Yorick and had sex with Mann, but considered it a mistake.

Compound is confusing Cassandra Cain with the new Batgirl. They're different people. Cass is straight, new girl's the new Question's lover. Look it up.

However, I'm kinda surprised that you weren't aware of Cassandra Cain's sexuality, because when it was first announced (via a DC press statement), there was considerable hype and buzz in the "mainstream"/non-comics media, due to the 'controversy' of introducing a prominent lesbian character.

That's not Cassandra Cain, that's Kathy Kane, Batwoman.

Compound is confusing Cassandra Cain with the new Batgirl. They're different people. Cass is straight, new girl's the new Question's lover. Look it up.

That's not Cassandra Cain, that's Kathy Kane, Batwoman.

Okay, I stand corrected. I was mixing up their names. (I'd like to point out that Twilight got her alter-ego wrong, as well, though, just because I can be petty like that :p )

I think getting more women readers will boost it a lot, but as I pointed out to Bass, I think one of the best things to do would be to make statues and covers less stupid and awful. Not that many covers and statues aren't wonderful and provide equal-opportunity ***-kicking and sexiness opportunities, but if the average woman on the street (or male active in feminist causes, or pretty much anyone who hasn't been desensitized to that stuff) walks into a store and see **** like the stuff I posted in response to Bass, I don't think they'd stick around long enough to see the good stuff.

That's the problem. The big companies will never stop producing cheesecake T&A. Too big of a segment of their audience buys into it, and that kind of philosophy is too deeply embedded in the industry.

We either need a way to sell comics to female readers without bringing them into a comic story (at which point, they'll realize how wicked-awesome comics are, and brave statue-**** to pick up their comic books at the shop). I think the gaudiness of the statues and everything ends up turning away more people than just women. I think comic book outlets need to get inventive if they want to draw ANY new readers in.

For instance, the awesome local record shop also sells comic books. and I think it draws in a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't pick those books up.

Uh oh! I didn't mean to spoil the reveal about 355. Damn. I kinda assumed that everybody was up to speed about this. :oops:

I'm REALLY sorry.

It's cool, I was already thinking that she probably was anyways.

EDIT: Never mind everyone else confirmed that it was Batwoman.

Last edited:
That's the problem. The big companies will never stop producing cheesecake T&A. Too big of a segment of their audience buys into it, and that kind of philosophy is too deeply embedded in the industry.

We either need a way to sell comics to female readers without bringing them into a comic story (at which point, they'll realize how wicked-awesome comics are, and brave statue-**** to pick up their comic books at the shop). I think the gaudiness of the statues and everything ends up turning away more people than just women. I think comic book outlets need to get inventive if they want to draw ANY new readers in.

For instance, the awesome local record shop also sells comic books. and I think it draws in a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't pick those books up.

That's the kind of thing the movies and cross-promotional advertising are ideal for. I don't think that continuity should be changed so the movies and comics match, but they should take advantage of the movie hype.

Good way to do that: Publishing the Back in Black Guide to Marvel thing when Spider-Man was coming out.

Bad way to do that: The stupid MJ statue.

It's cool, I was already thinking that she probably was anyways.
Look... since I've already spoiled it earlier, if anybody wants indisputable proof that
Agent 355 is open to lesbian sexual relations
, please click here (NOT work-safe; adults only).

Getting back on topic now...

I think Zombi might be onto something here...

"Traditional" comic stores are both commercial AND social spaces, and as such, they are built to accomodate the tastes of the the comic market, which includes a sizeable minority of pervs who happen to like crap such as the MJ statue.

But that doesn't mean the direct market can't be expanded beyond "traditional" comic stores -- it thus places the onus on progressive-minded retailers to expand their stock to include the comics that ARE worthy of attention by a more diverse readership. After all, anybody can make a bulk order from the Diamond Previews catalog, as long as they have the financial resources to do so.

So I guess one possible step is to convince more retailers to stock comics in related markets: Zombipanda already mentioned independent record stores. Specialized DVD rentals/stores might be another possible outlet. Or non-chain/franchise book-sellers, for that matter, to name another obvious route.

If we agree that there's already a signficant number of "women-friendly" comics being produced, then maybe the real challenge is finding better ways to get those books to their potential audience?

Last edited:
We either need a way to sell comics to female readers without bringing them into a comic story (at which point, they'll realize how wicked-awesome comics are, and brave statue-**** to pick up their comic books at the shop).

Isn't that what comics like that "Spider-man:heart: mary Jane" or what ever it's called for? To get teenage girls into comics?

Nico is trisexual. Don't forget, she slept with a robot!

:)

Pfffft... You can't blame Nico for sleeping like a robot. The only reason you haven't slept with a robot (and most people for that matter. me included) is because you haven't had the opportunity.

Latest posts

Back