Women in comics

But they're never going to know about them if they look in the window of a comic shop and see sixteen-year-olds shoving their boobs at people.
I addressed this earlier in the thread, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough about it...

DC recently launched a line of books called MINX aimed at teen girls. They hired a marketing firm called Alloy -- which specializes in the teen girl market -- to do all the promotions *outside* traditional comic retailing channels, i.e. in the chain bookstores where manga readers buy their usual fix of translated and "OEL" goodies.

That means that these potential new readers won't even need to set foot in the Dens of Geek Iniquity (i.e. "traditional" Direct Market comic book stores) that place statues of Sexy Laundrywoman LJ in their storefront windows.

Now, whether or not this stretegy actually pays off remains to be seen. But if it does, you can expect Marvel to follow suit, with an imprint of its own, in response.

But I already got the first title -- P.L.A.I.N. Janes , released last week -- and I enjoyed it A LOT, as somebody who has a critical appreciation for smart young adult literature. It's fun, and entertaining, without talking down to its audience, or being preachy/moralistic.

I hate to admit, I'm a hypocrite, I know women are objectified in comics, but I still own many Adam Hughes prints, drawings and statues (the MJ one is on preorder, and I just got my Emma one).

-.-

I'm a horrible person aren't I?

I honestly don't know how popular they are, probably not as popular as Wonder Woman or She-Hulk, or Storm.

Huh? What do you mean?

Vixen is a DC heroine-an African-American with the power to take on the powers/abilities of any animal.

She-Hulk is a Marvel character-she has nothing to do with Vixen.

If Raven wasn't such an evil character, I'd think she was good-looking.

I hate to admit, I'm a hypocrite, I know women are objectified in comics, but I still own many Adam Hughes prints, drawings and statues (the MJ one is on preorder, and I just got my Emma one).

-.-

Nah.

Well maybe.:wink:

Vixen is a DC heroine-an African-American with the power to take on the powers/abilities of any animal.

She-Hulk is a Marvel character-she has nothing to do with Vixen.

Your the one that asked what do they have to do with one another.

-.-

No

horny person maybe.

Horrible ? no

Jet was the Jamaican member of the Guardians, and she appearred in One Year Later-is she still around?

Jet was the Jamaican member of the Guardians, and she appearred in One Year Later-is she still around?

This thread was created to discuss heated issues about women that were taking up too much space in the All About Comics Thread. Generic, factual, non-opinionated questions about female comic book characters still go in the All About Comics Thread. Your comments on comments on Raven's legs would go here. This question would probably fit better there.

-.-

No. Honestly, Adam doesn't objectify women. He puts so much thought into how to depict the characters, it's just not on to say he does.

You can read (somewhere) his approach to Wonder Woman for his run on All-Star Wonder Woman (and other messages on how he approaches even Power Girl and others) that while he draws 'em sexy, he puts a **** load more effort into portraying them as unique, full, characters than most of the writers of the comics themselves.

No. Honestly, Adam doesn't objectify women. He puts so much thought into how to depict the characters, it's just not on to say he does.

You can read (somewhere) his approach to Wonder Woman for his run on All-Star Wonder Woman (and other messages on how he approaches even Power Girl and others) that while he draws 'em sexy, he puts a **** load more effort into portraying them as unique, full, characters than most of the writers of the comics themselves.

Gotta agree with Bass in defense to Hughes. Found your Adam Hughes logic post here.

Hughes is awesome.

But they don't even look like real women.

Actually...If I had my mom's breasts I'd have a close build to a Hughes characters. I'm 6'1" tall, broad shouldered and narrow hipped, just like my mom, gramma and cousins.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back