Women in comics

I don't think that's "hot", as the kids say-I think it's slutty and tawdry-it makes her look like a cheap trollop.

I don't think the kids say "tawdry" or "trollop". Unless they're 42 year old kids. Then I could see them saying that. :wink:

Either way....it's still your opinion. I personally like the statue for all the reasons Wade and Planet have already stated. I'm a fan of Hughes.....I know that the depiction portrayed here is not accurately of MJ....and I'm a fan of the old skool pin-up.

I agree with many of the points Compund stated. It's not a bad statue.....it's just the matter of context.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one, am a huge fan of 616 MJ (hence why her bastardization in the films and UU piss me off so much) and am contemplating buying this.
Read the snippet of the interview with Adam Hughes, a few pages back, in case you missed it. He mentions that the statue has already been preordered to the maximum quantity, and they will not be making new ones. (Because it was intended as a limited edition release, not because of the negative reaction to it.)

Anyway, I guess this is where personal taste becomes a consideration.

I find the 'mainstream' version of MJ too blandly self sacrificing, for my liking. The movieverse version at least has more emotional depth, and is willing to lead her own life, whether or not Peter chooses to be part of it. But I geuniely LIKE how spirited and multifaceted the Ultimate version is (which is why I particularly hated the changes she underwent in the Clone Saga).

Who cares? Honestly? Who cares? Is it really that bad if nerdy kids are buying a statue of a hot, fully clothed comic book girl? Really?
I guess MJ is an interesting 'test case' because she's probably the most famous "ordinary" female in the comic book world, next to Lois Lane. So how she is depicted is often percieved as how comic fans IN GENERAL view women, for better or worse. I think that's what upsets me most about the statue, really. What MJ is supposed to represent, as opposed to anything about the design, in particular.

In case anybody missed the interview snipped with Adam Hughes a few pages back, I thought this particular quote was worth mentioning, regarding the notorious MJ laundry statue:

NRAMA: Has this response led to any changes in your design or release plans?

AH: We're not changing any of our plans on the subsequent statues, but we've gone through and looked at the other designs to see if we're doing something that could be misconstrued as sexist or misogynistic.

NRAMA: But isn't that a slippery slope? Isn't that in a way going back toward self-censorship in order not to offend a segment of the audience who the product's not aimed at who are going to be offended by a thousand differing degrees?

AH: It's not self-censorship, but rather, we're flirting with self-awareness. Self-censorship would be us looking at the plans for Aunt May cleaning Uncle Ben's toilet in a teddy for the next statute, and then change that to her doing something assertive, and not doing chores. It's self-awareness if we look at the designs and see something on the next statue that could possibly bring about the same amount of negative attention from the same people, so that we can prepare for the possible repercussions, whether legitimate or otherwise.​
:lol:

I like his sense of humor about the whole situation. Thing is, I don't think it would be such a ridiculous situation if there were more merchandise of MJ "doing something assertive" because that would let people recognize that the whole "sexy laundry woman" schtick was meant in jest; 'casual' observers would have a basis for comparison.

Last edited:
Ignore the subliterate troglodyte fool.

I myself use 'tawdry' in everyday conversation.

It doesn't count when you're saying to stall for time because you're only repeating what they said because you don't have a witty comeback prepped.

And I wasn't really teasing him for his use of the word.....so much as I was teasing the statement "the kids say" portion. We Kings of the Days of Yore might use it in jest amongst one another or to make ourselves seem superior o those around us.....but the kids today ain't saying "tawdry" or "trollop".

And if they are.......I'd check to see if they were posessed by some 87 year old trapped in a nusing home.

Angel Reference FTW!

Indubitably.
Ignore the subliterate troglodyte fool.

I myself use 'tawdry' in everyday conversation.
Indeed.
Like "I Tawt I Saw a Puddy Tat" ?
No.
It doesn't count when you're saying to stall for time because you're only repeating what they said because you don't have a witty comeback prepped.

And I wasn't really teasing him for his use of the word.....so much as I was teasing the statement "the kids say" portion. We Kings of the Days of Yore might use it in jest amongst one another or to make ourselves seem superior o those around us.....but the kids today ain't saying "tawdry" or "trollop".

And if they are.......I'd check to see if they were posessed by some 87 year old trapped in a nusing home.

Angel Reference FTW!
That's a jab at me isn't it? Isn't it!? Don't hate me because I speak proper English!

Oh. And good Angel reference.

Wait. So Black + White = Hispanic? When did that happen? Someone's changing the rules on me.

Well, no, but just looking at her she does look a little Hispanic. She's not though.

Comic book coloring isn't particularly known for its subtle distinctions of skin tone.

Wait. So Black + White = Hispanic? When did that happen? Someone's changing the rules on me.

Actualy its SPaniard + anything=Hispanic

Like Spaniard + Asdian= Philipino

or in my case Spaniard+Black= Puerto Rican

Latest posts

Back