Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Bringing back the Sentry

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Ultimate Deadpool

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just so this doesn't turn into a complete Bendis Bash session....I'm gonna put this out there----

I like Bendis. He's a great writer. I admit to liking a lot of his stories. I've noticed a lot of people jump on the bandwagon of hating Bendis just because it's popular. I'm not saying who---but you know who you are.......and it's weak sauce.

I too admit that I throw a couple barbs out at the man...but I also recogonize the incredible talent he is.

My personal gripe with Bendis (much like E and MWoF) is the fact that he's writing subpar stories when we all know he is capable of so much more. I read the first 3 volumes of his DD and I'm in the middle of his Alias. The is GREAT Bendis work. Next on the list is Powers. Even his early USM work was great......not DD or Alias great....but great enough to get me back into comics.

Many like to crack jokes on Bendis like he's "Carded" something up again. And in some instance that's true (I'm looking at you Goblin MJ :shifty: ).....but at the same time---how many of you who do crack those jokes have taken the time to read his DD or Alias work? You can't go off on someone like he's a hack and has no business writing comics without reading his other works.

That's just been something that's been bugging me for a bit and I'm just putting it out there.

I think he has an unfortunately narrow band in which he writes well (Alias, Powers, Daredevil) but so far hasn't been able to step outside of that (Secret Wars, New Avengers, House of M). He's certainly not the only writer (in comics or prose) that has this trouble, though. Most of the others are similar to Bendis in that they have an iconic style - you can pick up anything they've written and immediately identify the writer. I prefer my readings to have more breadth than that.

Last edited:
I think he has an unfortunately narrow band in which he writes well (Alias, Powers, Daredevil) but so far hasn't been able to step outside of that (Secret Wars, New Avengers, House of M). He's certainly not the only writer (in comics or prose) that has this trouble, though. Most of the others are similar to Bendis in that they have an iconic style - you can pick up anything they've written and immediately identify the writer. I prefer my readings to have more breadth than that.

Wow, completly agree.
I have to say, i don't like bendis' dialogues that much. But inside that band Rhyo talked about, it doens't sound that bad. He is a good writer. Not great, but not as bad as sometimes it looks around here.

I agree with VVD's opinion of his Alias and Daredevil work, but it just seems like he's really come up with stupid things lately. Think of it like 616 Reed Richards... for several decades he's a genius (an unscrupulous one at times, but still basically good) then WHAM! Clor.

I picked Xorn because just the mention of Bendis + Xorn makes my head explode, but I should have picked Mary Jane Watson, The Furtastick Goblin Girl of New York City.

And I demand that all these "Bendis is a decent writer, he's just in a slump" posts be deleted. This should be the Bendis Hate Orgy thread. I don't wanna hear anymore about his "good stuff".

Actually, and on an interesting note, Morrison made Magneto suggest that during Planet X. He said something about coming back..."I always come back. Maybe that's my secondary mutation."

Right there - and I just realized this - Morrison gives Marvel the ammo they need to bring him back, because as Ice said, of COURSE he was going to come back. Morrison knew it too. And they still had to dumb it down with a retarded story and ruin a character.

What a cluster**** that was.
And no matter what, plenty of fans have better stories for returns. And I dont mean use what they have and make it better, I mean complete better work.

We should be writers.

And I demand that all these "Bendis is a decent writer, he's just in a slump" posts be deleted. This should be the Bendis Hate Orgy thread. I don't wanna hear anymore about his "good stuff".
But you're always going to have the good with the bad. Bendis has written plenty of good books/issues/etc.

All kidding aside - read his Daredevil and Alias runs and you'll see what we mean. Aside from the speech tics, you won't believe it's the same writer.

All kidding aside - read his Daredevil and Alias runs and you'll see what we mean. Aside from the speech tics, you won't believe it's the same writer.
Actually, I really would like to read his Daredevil at some point. It looks good, and I like Alex Maleev's art.

Like Baxter said, I think he overreaches. He's good at a few things, but Marvel seemed to think that they could just hand him the keys to entire universe. When Bendis starts doing big events and team books, he just ****s everything up.

For instance, New Avengers pisses me off because it was such a huge wasted oppurtunity. Avengers Dissassembled was a huge cluster****, but atleast it was an oppurtunity to do something new with the Avengers. But Bendis decided that instead of doing something original and innovative, he would use some wet dream he had when he was thirteen as inspiration for one of the worst superhero lineups ever.

"So first let's put Cap and Iron Man back on, so we don't piss off the fanboys. Then let's put on Spider-Man and Wolverine so Marvel can make more money. Spider-Woman because I had a pathetic crush on her when I was in high school, and Luke Cage because I have a pathetic crush on him now. And then the Sentry, because Marvel hasn't done anything with the character and now they want to make into their Superman."

I just don't understand his thinking process.

Why in the world did Marvel just decide that he was God and that he could do no wrong?

Last edited:
The New Doc Ock trumps Xorn.

Just hearing about this Xorn thing makes me happy I realized the crapiness of New Avengers in the first arc and havn't read it since. Too bad it makes me miserable knowing I've bought USM for 103 issues straight. Bendis karma.

Latest posts

Back