Worst dialogue in a comic book movie

It takes far too much time for him to become Batman...

It is an origins story. It's called Batman Begins, and an important part of that is what happens to Bruce before he puts on the cape and cowl.

...the plot is ridiculous...

Not any more so than those of other superhero movie, or what you may find in any number of comic books. I assume you mean Ra's plot to drive the city insane using the fear toxin in the water mains. It certainly isn't more ridiculous than the evil plots in any of the previous Batman films.

...he kills the villain (made extra ridiculous due to the sequel claiming he would never do such a thing)...

He doesn't kill Ra's, he just doesn't save him as he says in the movie. There is a distinction between between the two.

...Katie Holmes is awful...

I actually don't think she's as bad as everyone makes her out to be. She would have been fine in any other superhero movie, but compaired to the erst of the cast she comes off as a bit subpar. She certainly isn't bad enough to ruin the movie.

...Rachel Dawes' existence is awful...

Why? Because she's not in the comics. I don't really understand where you are coming from with this one. She was a fine character.

...Gotham looks terrible...

How so? It's a dark gritty Gotham, but that is the way the city has been portrayed in tons of the comics. Certainly better than Schumacher's neon Gotham or Burton's gothic gotham. At least it looks like a realistic city in this one.

I'm left wondering what comic book films you do like if you don't like Batman Begins.

After Dr. Doom get's the Power Cosmic in FF2 he shouts "Let's all go for a spin!" and precedes to twirl around, making a tornado around the Fantastic Four. It made me laugh uncontrollably in the theater, but that wasn't the part that really irritated my fellow audience goers:

When the camera zooms out on Earth after Sue's "death" to reveal the dissipated Galactus. The scene was silent so I clicked my tongue and scared the crap out of my friends. Try it, it's fun.

Other than that, "The Spirit's" tagline should be the title of this thread but in a good way.

A good amount of the dialogue in the Spider-Man films are pretty terrible, but it assuredly works for at least the first two films.

It is an origins story. It's called Batman Begins, and an important part of that is what happens to Bruce before he puts on the cape and cowl.

Not any more so than those of other superhero movie, or what you may find in any number of comic books. I assume you mean Ra's plot to drive the city insane using the fear toxin in the water mains. It certainly isn't more ridiculous than the evil plots in any of the previous Batman films.

He doesn't kill Ra's, he just doesn't save him as he says in the movie. There is a distinction between between the two.

I actually don't think she's as bad as everyone makes her out to be. She would have been fine in any other superhero movie, but compaired to the erst of the cast she comes off as a bit subpar. She certainly isn't bad enough to ruin the movie.

Why? Because she's not in the comics. I don't really understand where you are coming from with this one. She was a fine character.

How so? It's a dark gritty Gotham, but that is the way the city has been portrayed in tons of the comics. Certainly better than Schumacher's neon Gotham or Burton's gothic gotham. At least it looks like a realistic city in this one.

I'm left wondering what comic book films you do like if you don't like Batman Begins.

It's not worth getting worked up over.

Joe's just a dumbass.

I think it's funny that people have to defend their movie as if it's some affront to them that I didn't like it.

Houde, Dark Knight is awesome.

It's not worth getting worked up over.

Joe's just a dumbass.

I'm not getting worked up over it, I just am interested in discussing it. After all discussing things is what you usually do on forums, at least last time I checked.

I think it's funny that people have to defend their movie as if it's some affront to them that I didn't like it.

I'm not offended, and I don't think that you disliking Batman Begins is an affront to me. I just think that you're wrong, and your reasoning is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I always did have a problem with Batman destroying cops cars and letting Ra die. That seems out of character for the original Batman, but this is movie Batman so meh.

Granted, but the story seems to focus more on this, than on when he actually dons the cape.

The Origin was he gets trained by monks, then goes home and falls into a well to see bats.

Kinda Hookie.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is ****ing hilarious.

I could save you and put you behind bars, but instead, I'm going to let you DIE!!!!!

Completely in character for someone who doesn't shoot people for the same reason.

It's all dark alleyways and train cars that lead to the middle of the city. The whole city looks like a gigantic wheel.

And it's ridiculous to think a car can actually use the roadways in that place. Probably why they had the crappy rooftop chase scene.

MY CAR CAN FLY!

I really don't know.

I'm not getting worked up over it, I just am interested in discussing it. After all discussing things is what you usually do on forums, at least last time I checked.

I'm not offended, and I don't think that you disliking Batman Begins is an affront to me. I just think that you're wrong, and your reasoning is ridiculous.

I personally think that statement does mean you are getting worked up over it.

Last edited:
Granted, but the story seems to focus more on this, than on when he actually dons the cape.

I don't think so. Sure they spend quite a bit of the movie before he's Batman, but that is needed to show where the character is coming from. To make him realistic, you really need to show where he has been and what has happened to make him put on a bat costume and jump around Gotham.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is ****ing hilarious.

I could save you and put you behind bars, but instead, I'm going to let you DIE!!!!!

Completely in character for someone who doesn't shoot people for the same reason.

It's not like Batman is letting some innocent person die, he's a terrorist that has just tried to poison all of Gotham for chrissake. After Ra's tries to tear Gotham apart, it would have been more than a little anti-climatic if Batman simply hands him over to police. Sure you can do that in the comics, and these villains can escape dozens of times, but for a movie that wouldn't work. It simply wouldn't be a satisfying conclusion. Within the context of the movie it works.

It's all dark alleyways and train cars that lead to the middle of the city. The whole city looks like a gigantic wheel.

Not so much. It looks more or less like Chicago.

And it's ridiculous to think a car can actually use the roadways in that place. Probably why they had the crappy rooftop chase scene.

Again, it's pretty much just Chicago.

MY CAR CAN FLY!

That part was stupid. I'll give you that.

I personally think that statement does mean you are getting worked up over it.

No, not really. I'm just explaining where I'm coming from.

Gotham in Batman Begins looks NOTHING like Chicago. Which makes it even dumber looking when ou have beautiful Chicago, Illinois plastered all over the sequel and the two cities seem like entirely different places.

And letting someone die is absolutely murder, particularly considering Batman is repsonsible for the circumstances leading to Ra's death, with Gordon in the Batmobile blowing up the train tracks and whatever.

But I guess I should hold Ra's murder against Dark Knight instead, since the whole movie is based around the fallacy that movie Batman doesn't kill.

Yeah if you want a chicago look in a Comic Book movie, look at "Spider-Man 2." the L Train scene was filmed here. Better yet, if you want to see Chicago in a movie see "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" you'll see a lot of the big sights in that movie, infact I heard that Cameron's house (made famous for the scene below) from that movie is on the market.

[youtube]rzeN41k5NmM&feature[/youtube]

Gotham in Batman Begins looks NOTHING like Chicago. Which makes it even dumber looking when ou have beautiful Chicago, Illinois plastered all over the sequel and the two cities seem like entirely different places.

Ok, I'll clarify myself. What I meant was that the arguement that cars couldn't get around in the Begins Gotham is silly, because the streets from that movie are the streets of Chicago. Sure there has been lots of CGI put over the city (the Wayne Building, the monorail system, etc) and some of it isn't Chicago (the narrows), but under all of the CGI it is Chicago. That is what I meant by saying it's pretty much Chicago.

It is true that the Gotham from TDK is strikingly different from the Gotham of Begins. Begins Gotham is obviously dirtier and darker as I have said, while TDK Gotham looks more like a real city. While that is true, the Gotham of Begins is far more realistic than the Gotham presented in any of the previous films. I don't think either one of the presentations of Gotham is better (I think the monorail is a bit silly, but I also think that TDK Gotham is too clean).

And letting someone die is absolutely murder, particularly considering Batman is repsonsible for the circumstances leading to Ra's death, with Gordon in the Batmobile blowing up the train tracks and whatever.

But I guess I should hold Ra's murder against Dark Knight instead, since the whole movie is based around the fallacy that movie Batman doesn't kill.

To be fair Batman doesn't have Gordon blow up the train tracks to kill Ra's, but rather to keep it from reaching the hub in Wayne Tower and destroying the whole of Gotham. But I see where you are coming from. Batman does justify letting Ra's die/killing him in Begins, so it is interesting that this doesn't come up in TDK considering so much of what the Joker does is about trying to push Batman over the edge. I bit more on the distinction Batman makes (if any) would be nice. Does anyone know if Batman kills any of his villains in the previous four movies? For some reason I thought he more or less killed the Joker, but I can't remember.

Regardless, this has gotten really off track. I don't see how any of the issues we have been discussing, even if one assumes that they are problems, are enough to justify calling Begins a bad movie.

Keep on Topic. Move the Batman Begins talk to the BB thread (if that still exists), or over to the All About Comic Book Movies thread.

But to be fair, every line the guy at the Water Utility monitoring board says in that final sequence of Batman Begins makes me cringe.

Last edited:
But to be fair, every line the guy at the Water Utility monitoring board says in that final sequence of Batman Begins makes me cringe.

I keep thinking he's some important cameo appearance, that's why they gave him a lot more emphasis than what was needed. He certainly sounds familiar.

He is some guy named Shane Rimmer, who has been playing bit parts in movies for a long time... So there's really no reason that sequence is as meh as it is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back