Worst to Best Comic Films

I'm sorry but Men in Black been higher than "Batman begins" or "Superman : the movie" Is why I think Rotten Tomatoes does not what it's talking about most of the time.

Just like Howard the duck beating the first Fantastic Four , Garfeild and blade trinity , The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen , Alien vs. Predator , The Punisher (2004) , ghost Rider and more.

Ok the ones listed are not that good but Howard the duck is a terrible movie and much worse than any i listed.

Last edited:
I don't get it. A lot of these films aren't even based on comics.
I'm going through them right now, and actually a lot of them are just based on lesser known properties.

If I recall correctly, Monkeybone is an independent comic by Kaja Blackley. Bulletproof Monk was an Image Comic, and I believe I've seen solicitations for it with art by Powers' Michael Avon Oeming a few years ago. Virus was also published by Dark Horse. Appleseed is a cyberpunk manga by Ghost In The Shell's Masamune Shirow. Art School Confidential was a alternative comic by Ghost World's Daniel Clowes. Men In Black was a Malibu Comic, a company later acquired by Marvel. The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green was a comic strip.

The only major exception so far (I'm at #60 and it's slow to go through them on dialup) is Pathfinder, which was adapted into a graphic novel by Dark Horse.

Last edited:
I've actually never heard of a few of those, but I guess you're right.

I strongly disagree with a lot of the ordering, but realise that it's just based on critics reviews. And what do they know, anyway?

It would be better without all the anime and Japanese movies clogging up the list. They really deserve a separate category.

Besides, Metropolis sucked.

I'm ecstatic to see Ghost World getting the recognition it deserves, as one of my favorite movies of all time.

I'm sorry, I don't agree with that list... A: The don't even have every comic book movie. B: No way Hulk was better that Spider-Man 3 and 300. I think we could do better, if we voted and made our own list.

Last edited:
I've actually never heard of a few of those, but I guess you're right.

I strongly disagree with a lot of the ordering, but realise that it's just based on critics reviews. And what do they know, anyway?
the watcher said:
I'm sorry, I don't agree with that list... A: The don't even have every comic book movie. B: No way Hulk was better that Spider-Man 3 and 300. I think we could do better, if we voted and made our own list.
Degustibus non disputandem.

I am amazed at how far down FF is. I mean its not the greatest movie, but I thought they did a decent job capturing the characters. Just not the events.

The further I get into this list the more arbitrary it seems to be... Timecop was a comic book movie? And I don't think Creepshow should count. While unarguably inspired by the classic EC Horror comics its not using a property from comics.

OH COME ON! The Rocketeer was so much better than The Hulk. Not that The Hulk was as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It was a perfectly fine movie till that "WTF" ending.

Awful high opinion of Addams Family Values...

Hellboy and Oldboy side by side at 13 and 12. I can dig that...

What? Superman the Movie is only number 9? What the **** people? The other top 8 better kick my *** they're so good.

Okay, Batman Begins did kick my *** it was so good.

Men in Black did not. A History of Violence, while good, did not.

X-2 was close.

Yeah. Spider-man did.

I just didn't enjoy Ghost World. It was an excellently done film, full of great actors and actresses, I just didn't like it. I won't argue its position.

American Splendor deserves its position.

Spider-Man 2? Oh come on. I mean it was a good comic book movie, but in no way was it the best one ever. Screw you people.

Agreed Batman Begins > Spider-Man 2. However Spider-man 1 > Batman Begins > Spider-Man 2.

Nope, and I'll give you two reasons: Goblin Suit and Aunt May can't ****ing act.

Spidey One is good, but nothing beats Batman Begins when it comes to comic book movies (except maybe American Splendor and Ghost World, but those are VERY different)

Nope, and I'll give you two reasons: Goblin Suit and Aunt May can't ****ing act.

Spidey One is good, but nothing beats Batman Begins when it comes to comic book movies (except maybe American Splendor and Ghost World, but those are VERY different)

Aunt May was good. She seems like the loving old woman Aunt May should be.

Goblin Suit was bad I'll give you that BUT I think it was as bad as the Bat-tank

Batman Begins is ten times what Spider-Man 2 could have EVER been.

While Spidey 2 is probably in my top three, I completely agree about it not holding a candle to Begins which tops my list. 300 comes second.

So, I'm going through this list and some of it astounds me. I mirror Baxter's sentiment about the FF movie: sure it wasn't great, but it decent enough and should have been much further up. Also, I think the Turtles movies and Constantine are awfully low. And don't get me started on the Punisher being where it is. . .I hate critics.

Last edited:
I think it's funny out of the top 4, we have 2 spideys...which while they were good popcorn flicks..there are much better popcorn flicks and much better films...and 2 i hadn't seen, so can't comment...history of violence I read and thought was silly i mean
having that guy getting tortuered for like 10 years or something
good set up dissappointing finish, but i've been told the film is better.

i wanted the list to include things like Incredibles, Unbreakable and View Askew films...even if they weren't based on comic books, they have more of the culture in them than some of the anime's listed (I mean metropolis was based off the fritz lang film to start with anyway).

I hate that the critical consensus about punisher was that it was his tale of revenge. If they'd bothered watching the film he says "This is NOT revenge, revenge is an emotional response...this is PUNISHMENT"...that's why he's called the punisher not the revenger..the fact that the critics all agreed this film is about something the main character says he's not...grrrr...

I hate that the critical consensus about punisher was that it was his tale of revenge. If they'd bothered watching the film he says "This is NOT revenge, revenge is an emotional response...this is PUNISHMENT"...that's why he's called the punisher not the revenger..the fact that the critics all agreed this film is about something the main character says he's not...grrrr...
The sad thing is, there's also a 'consensus' of fans that believe that the Punisher didn't do enough revenging.

This block of fans believes that Castle spent too much time plotting a methodical destruction of Howard Saint's family that it felt too dispassionate, and not EMOTIONAL enough --- it's like regardless of how often the film attempts to stress his emotionally constipated approach to quote punishment as vengeance unquote, the critics looked at it as a revenge tale while the fans felt it wasn't revengeful ENOUGH.

The thing I felt Hensleigh and Jane were trying to accomplish with the film was that Frank Castle feels compelled to go eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth but is NOT emotionally connected to that response, and that the fact that he was wronged was merely incidental --- Castle himself never felt wronged, but rather that his family was and having them killed crossed the line drawn between his job as a fed, and that destroying his family was reciprocating by crossing the line between Saint's role as a criminal and his role as a (dysfunctional) family man.

The Punisher and Hulk are ten times more interesting films than Daredevil and Spider-Man for the sole fact that they were lacking in certain elements of polish, misguided in certain aspects of writing and unmarketable in certain ways that I am surprised people don't talk about them as much and write them off as easily simplified failures.

The Punisher and Hulk are ten times more interesting films than Daredevil and Spider-Man for the sole fact that they were lacking in certain elements of polish, misguided in certain aspects of writing and unmarketable in certain ways that I am surprised people don't talk about them as much and write them off as easily simplified failures.

Punisher was great

Hulk sucked though

Punisher was great

Hulk sucked though

My thoughts exactly.

Don't get me wrong about the Hulk, though. I'm all for anylalzing Banner's inner psyche, but the movie is called the Hulk, after all. In essence, too much talk, not enough smash. It should have found an equal balance.

My thoughts exactly.

Don't get me wrong about the Hulk, though. I'm all for anylalzing Banner's inner psyche, but the movie is called the Hulk, after all. In essence, too much talk, not enough smash. It should have found an equal balance.

I thought it was directed well..and the effects were all there...just acting/screnplay wasn't up to it. and for some reason they made hulks dad absorbing man...yeah...well the new origin wasn't bad..just a bit needlessly complicated

I'm all for playing up Bruce's struggle in fact I recommend it. It makes the Hulk transformation mean something. The hulk film though the idea of changing scenes in panels looks great on paper this film made it look horrible.

The acting was terrible , Hulk's origin seemed horrid. The hulk dogs made groan and think this is just bad writing. The casting? Give me a break the only one cast I liked in that role was general Ross.

Now I'll admit I liked how they did the hulk. But if I walk out a film and the best thing I can say is "effects looked great" then there is something seriously wrong.

The only other thing I liked was the 3 disk dvd boxset with hulks fist but only for free re-print of hulk's first comic which is handy as my actual first edtion of hulk comic is framed and never read with my other highly collectible (or i think so) comics e.g Detective comics 38 "the sensational character find of 1940 ..... Robin the boy wonder"

Latest posts

Back