Would Grant Morrison and a Kubert Bros get you to buy DC?

You guys oughtta pick up some of the grittier DC stuff, like the Vertigo stuff. I don't like a lot of the standard superhero comics of DC, so I wouldn't buy this, but I do like the Vertigo stuff, like Preacher.

I believe a few guys here pick up Vertigo.

ProjectX2 said:
I believe a few guys here pick up Vertigo.
Emphasis on a few.

Okay, I'll admit that's being a little mean, but I'm disappointed that even though there're people who pick up non-Ultimate books, it seldom results in any serious discussion. I know this is supposed to be an Ultimate board, but that's utterly beside the point. :shifty:

ourchair said:
Emphasis on a few.

Okay, I'll admit that's being a little mean, but I'm disappointed that even though there're people who pick up non-Ultimate books, it seldom results in any serious discussion. I know this is supposed to be an Ultimate board, but that's utterly beside the point. :shifty:

If I were one of you that just got Ultimate books, I'd seriouslt try somethign else aswell as Ultimate comics. If you stay with Marvel, check out some of the Marvel Knights stuff, 1602 is especially good, you can get the TPB of that now. If you wanna check out some DC, then buy the Graphic Novel: Watchmen. It's great, and you'll' end up reading through it 5 times in a week. Other than that, try Preacher from DC Vertigo and some other Garth Ennis stuff, like his run with Dillon on HellBlazer.

At the moment, the non-superhero books I get are Hellboy, Desolation Jones, Ocean, 100 Bullets, and City of Tomorrow. I want to get more, and I've been thinking about getting Y: The Last Man or Fables.

I collect Ultimate books, but I also read things other than superhero comics. I like Hellboy, Y: The Last Man, Planetary, Sojourn and things like that. I'd collect all of them too, if I had the money.

GMaster said:
If I were one of you that just got Ultimate books, I'd seriouslt try somethign else aswell as Ultimate comics. If you stay with Marvel, check out some of the Marvel Knights stuff, 1602 is especially good, you can get the TPB of that now. If you wanna check out some DC, then buy the Graphic Novel: Watchmen. It's great, and you'll' end up reading through it 5 times in a week. Other than that, try Preacher from DC Vertigo and some other Garth Ennis stuff, like his run with Dillon on HellBlazer.
Like I said, I was just teasing about 'the few'. I don't care really about the exact number of people who collect non-Marvel stuff or how many non-Marvel titles are on their pull lists. I'm just wondering why it rarely translates into discussion.

I mean, where're the conversations about all those titles and how you can compare and relate them to each other and even what is currentyl being done in Marvel? As it stands, MWOF can't even get a decent Daredevil conversation going and get taken SERIOUSLY, let alone trying to open up a discussion about the pre-Marvel work of Brian Michael Bendis.

ProjectX2 said:
I collect Ultimate books, but I also read things other than superhero comics. I like Hellboy, Y: The Last Man, Planetary, Sojourn and things like that. I'd collect all of them too, if I had the money.
Now honestly, Planetary ships like twice a year. Theres no bugetary reason not to pick it up. :D

And yeah, we really need to get some topics rolling on non-Ultimate titles that aren't New Avengers or an X-Book.

ourchair said:
Like I said, I was just teasing about 'the few'. I don't care really about the exact number of people who collect non-Marvel stuff or how many non-Marvel titles are on their pull lists. I'm just wondering why it rarely translates into discussion.

I mean, where're the conversations about all those titles and how you can compare and relate them to each other and even what is currentyl being done in Marvel? As it stands, MWOF can't even get a decent Daredevil conversation going and get taken SERIOUSLY, let alone trying to open up a discussion about the pre-Marvel work of Brian Michael Bendis.
Honestly, I think part of the problem is lack of room for discussion. As most people on this board know I've pushed for a DC Comics board instituted, but have been thwarted at every turn. Having one board for Non-Ultimate Marvel titles, excluding X-Men, spider-Man, New Avenger, and everything else under the comic sun just isn't enough room. We don't need a Daredevil forum, but an Other 616, DC, and Independent Comics forum would probably go along way to getting threads the attention they deserve.

Baxter said:
Honestly, I think part of the problem is lack of room for discussion. As most people on this board know I've pushed for a DC Comics board instituted, but have been thwarted at every turn. Having one board for Non-Ultimate Marvel titles, excluding X-Men, spider-Man, New Avenger, and everything else under the comic sun just isn't enough room. We don't need a Daredevil forum, but an Other 616, DC, and Independent Comics forum would probably go along way to getting threads the attention they deserve.

A DC forum would be quite cool. Then again, this is an Ultimate-themed site, but hey, whatever. It would be good to have a DC board.

Baxter said:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Could we petition E to make a DC forum?

moonmaster said:
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Could we petition E to make a DC forum?

I asked before, and he said he would if there was sufficient demand.Anyone who wants one PM me and i'll pass a list on next week sometime?

Ultimate Gambit said:
I have only ever liked 2 arcs from DC one was Millinium Giants "which spanded across the DC universe I never did collect all of them" and The Obsidian Age from JLA
Now, see you're reading the wrong stuff. The whole Millenium Giants stuff was just a "Lets get Supes back in the old costume" bit. Obsdian Age was probably the best of Kelly's JLA run, but doesn't hold a candle to Rock of Ages, or what I think is the best JLA storyline, Tower of Babel.

Baxter's full of ****. The best JLA was #1-4 by Morrison and Porter, the "New World Order" arc featuring the Hyperclan. You'll love Batman at the end of this one, trust me.

Also, #16-17, the Prometheus arc is super sweet too.

The Rock of Ages is excellent, but then if I said that, that would mean Baxter isn't completely full of ****.

Which he is.

Because the Hyperclan arc is the best JLA arc.

I have said so, and I never lie, thus, it is true.

Bass said:
Baxter's full of ****. The best JLA was #1-4 by Morrison and Porter, the "New World Order" arc featuring the Hyperclan. You'll love Batman at the end of this one, trust me.

Also, #16-17, the Prometheus arc is super sweet too.

The Rock of Ages is excellent, but then if I said that, that would mean Baxter isn't completely full of ****.

Which he is.

Because the Hyperclan arc is the best JLA arc.

I have said so, and I never lie, thus, it is true.
Come on man. Ra's Al Guhl beats the Hyperclan any day.

But then The Hyperclan did execute Wolverine and Dr. Doom..... hrmmm.....

Tower of Babel was cool, but face it, Batman was the villain in the story, not Ra's.

Plus, Batman is unbelievably cool when he takes out the Hyperclan (tries desperately to restrain from spoiling it) - even you Baxter, can't help but be seduced by the arc - it's great. Everyone knows it. If you don't know it, it means you suck. Go out and read it. You shall be a better human being for it.

Bass said:
Tower of Babel was cool, but face it, Batman was the villain in the story, not Ra's.
Thats why its great. It's exactly like Batman should be seen in the DC universe. A psycotic human whos got the ability, technology, and intellegence to take out any person he wanted to. Thats a villian if I've ever heard one.

Bass said:
Plus, Batman is unbelievably cool when he takes out the Hyperclan (tries desperately to restrain from spoiling it) - even you Baxter, can't help but be seduced by the arc - it's great. Everyone knows it. If you don't know it, it means you suck. Go out and read it. You shall be a better human being for it.
I'll give you that one.

Baxter said:
Thats why its great. It's exactly like Batman should be seen in the DC universe. A psycotic human whos got the ability, technology, and intellegence to take out any person he wanted to. Thats a villian if I've ever heard one.

Yeah, and that's the whole thing behind the OMAC Project. Yay. I remember when Batman used to be a hero instead of an obssessive, paranoid psycho.

I look at the Batman cartoon from the 90s and I just want to run over to the people in charge of the Batman comics and beat them to death with my box sets shouting, "Get over it! He's a wonderful, pure hero! Stop acting like he's insane!" I'm absolutely sick and tired of Batman being a dark, brooding lunatic. Babel was okay, but this continuing trend of making Batman like this is really pissing me off.

Bass said:
Yeah, and that's the whole thing behind the OMAC Project. Yay. I remember when Batman used to be a hero instead of an obssessive, paranoid psycho.

I look at the Batman cartoon from the 90s and I just want to run over to the people in charge of the Batman comics and beat them to death with my box sets shouting, "Get over it! He's a wonderful, pure hero! Stop acting like he's insane!" I'm absolutely sick and tired of Batman being a dark, brooding lunatic. Babel was okay, but this continuing trend of making Batman like this is really pissing me off.
Please. He's as insane as The Punisher. If we want any kind of realism injected into comicdom then we need to acept that the darker styled characters are going to be portrayed as... well, buck freaking loco whenever the oppertunity presents itself.

And truth be told, I think that this interpretation works for Batman. He's seperated from the rest of the chaff by his codes of ethics. If those were removed we'd get a character not unlike Dr. Doom without the overwhelming ego to hold him down.

Latest posts

Back