Writing Challenge

Well, this one is a test run, to work out the kinks and all that. Plus, I do like how my simple hotel scene has become something out of Lovecraft.

I did follow your timeline well enough, I was merely stating why Doublehex may have thought it was contradictory.

I think next time, we should split into an even amount of teams. I still like this idea but it is taking a while. I have some ideas and I had some really good ones but the story didn't go the way I was expecting. The way Houde set it up, I thought it was going to be a horror "whodunit?" which was going tobe confined within the hotel. This is a fun project though.

Next time I would like to split the members into equal teams. So next time if 9 people sign up, we should 3 groups of 3. Anywho, I'm eager for my turn.

I know, you used a few.

That's one thing we should add next time, no time jumps. I would like to have seen if this story stayed confined to the hotel myself. Yeah, next one should have no time jumps, and should be a comedic mystery...

I agree. The big time jump changed the story completely to something it wasn't before and pretty much made everything that came before it completely unnecessary. I totally lost interest in the whole thing.

I agree. The big time jump changed the story completely to something it wasn't before and pretty much made everything that came before it completely unnecessary. I totally lost interest in the whole thing.

Except not at all, really. The same characters are floating around, built off of the same relationships and the same actions that took place earlier in the story. Things are going to change. That's just the nature of an activity like this. There's been one major transition, and while it changes the story being told, it doesn't invalidate anything that came before - it builds on it.

Besides which, it felt to me like the story was ponderously treading water for a long time.

Last edited:
Oh, and it's worth adding... It kind of got lost in the mix, and was a sub-plot I forgot about in the process of writing it, but I was originally going to have Shelly and the other dude's scrounging session be about them gathering together technology from the school to get electricity and a computer up and running, at the behest of Dylan and Rachel, so that they can access the information on the CD, but I forgot all about it.

I think the subplot about the mysterious CD needs to be an important factor.

Last edited:
I don't want to talk too much about how I thought the story should go after I wrote my part because I don't want to influence anyone, but it just seems like some people had stories they wanted to write and put them in here where they didn't really belong instead of actually writing to the story we had started already.

I don't want to talk too much about how I thought the story should go after I wrote my part because I don't want to influence anyone, but it just seems like some people had stories they wanted to write and put them in here where they didn't really belong instead of actually writing to the story we had started already.

Eh. I disagree. I think the problem is that some people didn't really have a story to tell, and so instead of forward plot progress, we got a lot of treading water that really didn't connect the threads. I'll be the first to admit that the whole "Cthulhu Leviathan Monster" route isn't the direction I would have gone, but at least it moved things forward.

Eh. I disagree. I think the problem is that some people didn't really have a story to tell, and so instead of forward plot progress, we got a lot of treading water that really didn't connect the threads. I'll be the first to admit that the whole "Cthulhu Leviathan Monster" route isn't the direction I would have gone, but at least it moved things forward.

I really felt like I moved things forward using the stuff I was given to work with, and set things up to be expanded upon that never were.

I've printed out all the pages of the story so far because I like to work away from the computer. I should have something up in a day or so.

I've printed out all the pages of the story so far because I like to work away from the computer. I should have something up in a day or so.

It's so on.

Out of curiosity, Joe, what plot threads did you feel you put in there that didn't get picked up, because I'm having a hell of a time figuring it out. I'm not knocking you - I'm just curious.

Holy **** Bax brought in Lelouch!

But seriously, good job Bax. Though, I hope we get some "what's going on" clarification soon.

Holy **** Bax brought in Lelouch!

But seriously, good job Bax. Though, I hope we get some "what's going on" clarification soon.

Well, people who've read a little Lovecraft could get some "Whats Goin On" out of mine. Having said that things can and will change.

And who's Lelouch?

Ach.... I'm a little disappointed my shocking twist regarding Dylan and Rachel got overturned.

Not overturned, set aside. I thought we could use a little time with the villains and a little clarification as to what was going on with... well, pretty much everything else.

And I'm not sure I could do a dissection justice.

EDIT: Whoo. 7000 posts! Go me. Only took me three and a half years.

Last edited:
Not overturned, set aside. I thought we could use a little time with the villains and a little clarification as to what was going on with... well, pretty much everything else.

And I'm not sure I could do a dissection justice.

I meant

(Anybody who hasn't contributed to the story yet, hold off on reading the spoiler space

the implication that Dylan and Rachel's environmental terrorist group are the ones who awakened the monster. Maybe I wasn't explicit enough with it?"

I meant

(Anybody who hasn't contributed to the story yet, hold off on reading the spoiler space

the implication that Dylan and Rachel's environmental terrorist group are the ones who awakened the monster. Maybe I wasn't explicit enough with it?"

Well I can't say I picked up on it. :?

Latest posts

Back