X-Men 4: To be or not to be?

CBR:

X-MEN 4

Marvel's Peter Cuneo is quoted at XMenFilms.net talking about the legal niceties in making gajillions of movie dollars. "All of our film deals with studio partners allow them to continue to have the rights as long as they make the sequels within a prescribed time frame," Cuneo said. "That time frame varies from deal to deal. If they don't make the sequel, then the rights revert back to Marvel. You do sometimes hear the studios saying this is the last of the 'blank' films -- in our case that's probably unlikely if a successful franchise. I certainly would include 'X-Men,' probably 'Fantastic Four' and that's with Fox. Wolverine is the most popular of the X-Men, and Fox is talking about with Hugh Jackman making a WOLVERINE film which would qualify in a sense as 'X-MEN 4.' That may very well in fact be out in 2008 or certainly by 2009 if they go ahead, but Fox is very adept at making a quality film very quickly."

Im surprised to find Cuneo talking about Marvels theatrical releases and looks at the future because this guy had a LOT of shares in MVL before the end of last year and sold them all. he recently bought back in during february but only a few thousand.is this a sign of his faith in MVL?

Yes it is - but I still think it's the best of the trilogy.

If only because it was actually an X-Men film and not a Wolverine & His Amazing Friends film.

For me, the X-Men films increase in quality each time, 1 was the worst, 2 was a bit better, 3 was still a bit better, but 3 was still very mediocre.

:noway:

At least Singer was setting up storylines involving other characters. They just **** on everyone except Logan and Storm in the third.

How so?

Professor X got a good death scene (if ironic considering a decade of Trek under his belt and Patrick Stewart gets vaporised in X-Men)
Kitty got to save Leech and take on the Juggernaut
Iceman vs Pyro
Beast played a role in the story being a sympathetic mutant that wasn't human looking
Phoenix got to be the McGuffin device
Mystique got a touching sequence that ended her part in the X-Men films
Juggernaut was actually a proper threat
Magneto got to display a nice range of colours to his character in his hatred for humans but in his appreciation for Professor X

Pretty much everyone got good, relevant scenes and got to show off what they were except for poor old Cyclops whose footage in the film was probably edited together from the previous two films.

Cyclops got royally screwed by the third film. Really, really screwed.

Everyone else seems to get parts that mattered. The resolution at the end had six X-Men (Wolverine, Colossus, Beast, Kitty, Iceman, and Storm) and each one got to be relevant to the ending - it felt like an ensemble cast (or at least, more so than the others which just had Wolverine doing everything for everyone).

It's possible my memory is faulty, but as I recall, Wolverine does everything at the end of the first film, Wolverine is the only one with a proper fight scene in X2 (and then Jean ends the film at random), but in this one, yes, Wolverine (stupidly) defeats Phoenix, but the other five X-Men were kind of well... relevant to the ending.

You say Singer was setting up storylines - but X3 paid them off. Singer hadn't done anything with any of them except Pyro.

Last edited:
For me the movies go

XIII - best

X-men

XII - still good but my least favourite as I was most disappointed with it.

Superman Returns was waaaaaaaay better than X-Men 3.

no it wasn't

it was as bad if not worse than superman III and IV

Edit :
Okay, but this is not to be another X-Men 3 vs Superman Returns. There's already a thread for that. As much...fun...that discussion that can be, let's not continue that further here.

sorry typed it as you posted so never saw your reply when I posted

Last edited:
no it wasn't

it was as bad if not worse than superman III and IV

Come on, dude. It wasn't THAT bad. Singer got the feel for the franchise right and Routh got the spirit of the character spot, although his conception of the character was incredibly weird. Superman shouldn't be an eavesdropping homewrecker who breaks in to his old girlfriend's house. And even if Lex is going to be the main character, we needed some sort of expansion of the Superman universe outside of Superman, Lex, and the Daily Planet.

But the actual action sequences were dope, and completely indicative of the character.

Edit: Sorry, Ice. I'll shut up.

Last edited:
Okay, but this is not to be another X-Men 3 vs Superman Returns. There's already a thread for that. As much...fun...that discussion that can be, let's not continue that further here.
:? Your the one who brought it up, in a way that seemed to be intentionally trying to piss me off.

X-Men 2 is the best, followed by X-Men 3 and then X-Men, which was boring as hell.

X-Men is just a terrible, terrible movie. X3 is my favorite.

But, Jurassic Park 3 is my favorite JP movie too.

And Superman Returns, though incredibly stupid, is easily the most wtachable Superman movie. With the deified Richard Donner's first Superman being the most boring thing I've ever sat through.

How so?

Professor X got a good death scene (if ironic considering a decade of Trek under his belt and Patrick Stewart gets vaporised in X-Men)
Kitty got to save Leech and take on the Juggernaut
Iceman vs Pyro
Beast played a role in the story being a sympathetic mutant that wasn't human looking
Phoenix got to be the McGuffin device
Mystique got a touching sequence that ended her part in the X-Men films
Juggernaut was actually a proper threat
Magneto got to display a nice range of colours to his character in his hatred for humans but in his appreciation for Professor X

Pretty much everyone got good, relevant scenes and got to show off what they were except for poor old Cyclops whose footage in the film was probably edited together from the previous two films.

Cyclops got royally screwed by the third film. Really, really screwed.

Everyone else seems to get parts that mattered. The resolution at the end had six X-Men (Wolverine, Colossus, Beast, Kitty, Iceman, and Storm) and each one got to be relevant to the ending - it felt like an ensemble cast (or at least, more so than the others which just had Wolverine doing everything for everyone).

It's possible my memory is faulty, but as I recall, Wolverine does everything at the end of the first film, Wolverine is the only one with a proper fight scene in X2 (and then Jean ends the film at random), but in this one, yes, Wolverine (stupidly) defeats Phoenix, but the other five X-Men were kind of well... relevant to the ending.

You say Singer was setting up storylines - but X3 paid them off. Singer hadn't done anything with any of them except Pyro.

I completely disagree.

Xavier gets killed off. Knowing what he's up against he needlessly sacrafices his life. But it's ok because he can make the "OMG" transfer scene at the end:roll:

Kitty was the metaphor for Senior/Freshmen connection in High School and a waste. She did nothing. Her parts in the movie were nothing more than to showcase her powers.

Iceman Vs. Pyro :rockon: Iceman was probably the greatest thing about this movie.

Beast was good too and well casted. But too much was left open. Did he want to be cured? What about the dynamic with Wolverine?

Pheonix? **** THAT!! It was terrible. She's a GODESS but she joins The Brotherhood. Oh wait, it's cool, she's in love with Hugh Jackman. The Audience will dig it. :roll:

Mystique had a touching sequence? More like Cop Out.

Juggernaut - No complaints :rockon:

Magneto was also great as expected.

And Finally Cyclops did get screwed. I firmly believe the Third Film would have showcased him more than the previous two if Singer had taken the franchise further. It wouldn't have been all about Wolverine but would have focused a lot more on the other characters had Singer been involved.

Xavier gets killed off. Knowing what he's up against he needlessly sacrafices his life. But it's ok because he can make the "OMG" transfer scene at the end:roll:

Dude. His scene was kickin'. No one saw it coming and after that moment, the Phoenix became very threatening. I kept thinking anyone could die (except Wolverine, Lord of the Franchise). The body count of Jean, Cyke, and Prof is really quite impressive.

Not only that, but it's not a needless sacrifice. He's trying to shut her down to save the world. She's trying to kill him before hand. He tries and tries, and fails. Just before she destroys him he works out a way to save himself. So how, exactly, did he sacrifice himself?

Kitty was the metaphor for Senior/Freshmen connection in High School and a waste. She did nothing. Her parts in the movie were nothing more than to showcase her powers.

Oh yeah. Because in Singer's films Storm had a deep character. Cyclops too. And Jean. And oh, that's right, only Wolverine had a character. And Iceman. And Pyro. And Magneto. The other two films were just showcases for special effects too, the difference was that Kitty had an exciting sequence that was relevant to the outcome of the plot.

Iceman Vs. Pyro :rockon: Iceman was probably the greatest thing about this movie.

When I saw this, I howled, imagining how Ice would've been geeking out to it! :D

Beast was good too and well casted. But too much was left open. Did he want to be cured? What about the dynamic with Wolverine?

Meh, for a secondary character I thought they did plenty for him. And he got a bit more than Nightcrawler in X2. Speaking of which, David Hyde Pierce should've been cast as Nightcrawler. And the end of the film should've revolved around an important dinner party and a misunderstood discretion. :twisted:

Man, I was so waiting for Beast to yell, "People of Seattle! Listen to ME!" :lol:

Pheonix? **** THAT!! It was terrible. She's a GODESS but she joins The Brotherhood. Oh wait, it's cool, she's in love with Hugh Jackman. The Audience will dig it. :roll:

I thought - no problem with Phoenix. Unlike the UXM version, this Phoenix had gravity to her. She seemed genuinely capable of killing everyone. Because she killed Professor X - with her mind. Unlike Cassandra Nova and Onslaught, I was actually scared of Phoenix. Yes, she's not the dark cosmic goddess, but she's got the same level of relevant threat (when you consider there's no alien civilisations in the X movies). The thing that annoyed me was the ending.

I agree, it was bollocks. She can't vaporise Wolverine and dies. Whatever.

Here's what they should've done - they get Leech next to Phoenix (I don't care how, and it's somewhat irrelevant). With Leech next to Phoenix, her powers (and thus, the evil alternate personality) are turned off. With that being the case, Jean is Jean once more. And Wolverine walks up to her. He's going to kill her so it doesn't happen again. Jean asks for the cure instead. No cure samples are left - they're all gone. So, she'll just stay next to Leech until they make more. The doctor's dead. Jean begs for her life, and Wolverine kills the woman he loves. Not Phoenix. Jean. I think that's a heart-wrenching, brutal ending to a particularly brutal film. I think it would work really well. Regardless, Leech shutting down the Phoenix was so obvious I'm amazed it didn't happen. Everyone who saw it expected that to happen, and what we were given was less. The ending was balls.

But then, that seems to be how the X franchise works... ;)

Mystique had a touching sequence? More like Cop Out.

How so? It showed a lot about her - she loved her powers, very proud of them, and she sacrificed herself for Magneto. That shows a lot. Then Magneto spurns her. That shows a lot. It was a very effective scene. And another staple X character is gone - the body count rises.

Juggernaut - No complaints :rockon:

He's the Juggernaut, *****!

Magneto was also great as expected.

Yup.

And Finally Cyclops did get screwed. I firmly believe the Third Film would have showcased him more than the previous two if Singer had taken the franchise further. It wouldn't have been all about Wolverine but would have focused a lot more on the other characters had Singer been involved.

I think if Singer had been on X3, more Cyclops would've definately been the case.

There wouldn't have been Superman Returns for James Marsden to be in after all... ;)

That said, I'm not saying X3 is a fantastic film. I don't own it on dvd or whatever. I think though, with it's large body count, ensemble cast, and gang warfare climax sequence it's the best of the three. The first is dull and boring, laden with exposition and a nonsense plot. The second is very forgettable, having only the wonderful Brian Cox as it's high point, and while the film does build nicely, it doesn't pay off its own story. And Jean dies stupidly. I didn't believe they couldn't save her from the tidal wave thing. X3 was, for me, the best of the three, but still not great. It still had a bloody stupid ending.

But best of the three.

Latest posts

Back