X-Men Ages?

Nas-T! said:
What fascinates me, and this is probably a discussion for another post, was the teams of two Xavier put the lot of them into that time (during "The Tempest"). I'm still interested why he chose those specific teams.

Anyways...

I think it's safe to say that he didn't want Jean with Scott. And that he did want Logan with Storm, because he knew Logan wouldn't bother her about Hank.

Therefore: Logan/Storm, Scott/Colossus, Jean/Kurt.

Or maybe it was just an excuse Vaughan had to write that great joke with Bobby and Scott.:D

Hi-Fi said:
I think it's safe to say that he didn't want Jean with Scott. And that he did want Logan with Storm, because he knew Logan wouldn't bother her about Hank.

Therefore: Logan/Storm, Scott/Colossus, Jean/Kurt.

Or maybe it was just an excuse Vaughan had to write that great joke with Bobby and Scott.:D
That must be it. Thanks. And that joke DID rock.

Now back to the X-Men's ages!

icemastertron said:
Iceman wasn't "benched" for his age, but because of how he acts, which, almost has nothing to do with how old he is.

Kitty and Angel were benched, too. Because of their age, right? Or was it their inexperience? I thought I was making a point here, ICE! :)

Goodwill said:
Kitty and Angel were benched, too. Because of their age, right? Or was it their inexperience? I thought I was making a point here, ICE! :)
Kitty's not exactly being benched. If anything, maybe lack of experience.

As for Angel, nothing because of age. Remember what happened when people found out about him being at the X-Mansion? And people got pissed and all that? Xavier wants to avoid that in public, so that's why Angel doesn't get used like Cyclops or Collosus, for example.

Last edited:
Goodwill said:
I don't find Nightcrawler's age a factor in the way he's treated, though. As you know, Iceman, Kitty, and the like have been benched because of how old they are, but, since Nightcrawler has spent his life fighting, there's no problem with him joining the X-Men. It was Millar's genuis that put him behind a wheel of a car, made him serve alcohol, and made him seem older than he was... And he was the one that introduced him as a 14 year old! Seriously, I'll stop with what I think aobut Millar before E comes headhunting... But I understand that he's a youngin'.

Just making sure. I was reading the older posts in this thread where you seemed to be convinced he was 18 or older.

icemastertron said:
As for Angel, nothing because of age. Remember what happened when people found out about him being at the X-Mansion? And people got pissed and all that? Xavier wants to avoid that in public, so that's why Angel doesn't get used like Cyclops or Collosus, for example.
Well, there's that and the fact that he can't handle himself in a fight and would probably end up, say, pinned to a wall by a reality TV exec?

here's my thoughts on this.

about 1 year has gone by since the start of the series.

so.

Iceman is 16

Nightcrawler is 15 (fights because he's extremely well trained, and its not hard to drive a car, and i'm pretty sure people fo that age can handle alcohol in germany. i know there is no drinking age at all in italy, and i remember going with a friend to pick up wine and cigarettes for his father when we were like 8)

Beast and Colossus are 22

Cyclops is 20

Jean is 20

Ororo is 19

Wolverine is 1000

Two toughts : Nightcrawler might have been 14 in the Weapon X. But you can't take colonel's wraith comment at face value. When he said that Nightcrawler was a "Fourteen-years old teleporter", he also refered to Rogue as a "Marilyn Manson fan" and Sabertooth as a "poor man's wolverine".

He was referring to his crew in a purposefully demeaning manner to justify to the politicans his kidnapping of the X-Men.

Perhaps Nightcralwer was precisely 14 year old. But perhaps he was anywhere from 15 to 19 and Wraith just meant that he was basically still a kid.

In that arc, Adam Kubert is the artist. When he draws Bobby, he looks 15. When he draws Nightcrawler, he sure as hell doesn't look 14.

Finally, Nightcrawler is one of the least human of all mutants. For all we know, he doesn't age at the same speed.

---

I don't believe in the least that Rogue was referring to Beast when she said "Seventeen, now that's young." She was talking of herself and Bobby who had faced death a few time each and are both pushing 17.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Two toughts : Nightcrawler might have been 14 in the Weapon X. But you can't take colonel's wraith comment at face value. When he said that Nightcrawler was a "Fourteen-years old teleporter", he also refered to Rogue as a "Marilyn Manson fan" and Sabertooth as a "poor man's wolverine".

He was referring to his crew in a purposefully demeaning manner to justify to the politicans his kidnapping of the X-Men.

Perhaps Nightcralwer was precisely 14 year old. But perhaps he was anywhere from 15 to 19 and Wraith just meant that he was basically still a kid.

In that arc, Adam Kubert is the artist. When he draws Bobby, he looks 15. When he draws Nightcrawler, he sure as hell doesn't look 14.

Finally, Nightcrawler is one of the least human of all mutants. For all we know, he doesn't age at the same speed.

---

I don't believe in the least that Rogue was referring to Beast when she said "Seventeen, now that's young." She was talking of herself and Bobby who had faced death a few time each and are both pushing 17.
Great points! Little more info that sure can turn things around. Nice catch.

E.Vi.L. said:

---

Good points being brought up there. Now that I think about it, your explanation for what Rogue says to Bobby in #46 makes more sense. Good work there.
Also, you picked up on the belittling comments that Wraith uses when discussing his Weapon-X grunts, so that makes sense. Nice work.

E.Vi.L. said:

---

Exactly. If I had put it this detailed, people would have listened. :D

In issue #40, when Warren lands in front of the crowd and he's trying to get across the fact that he's normal and not an angel, he says he's 17 years old.
I also don't think Nightcrawler is 14.

Lawrence said:
In issue #40, when Warren lands in front of the crowd and he's trying to get across the fact that he's normal and not an angel, he says he's 17 years old.
I also don't think Nightcrawler is 14.
They say he's 14 in Weapon X, I believe, so he could be 15 I guess.
EDIT:Have to read thread before I post.

Last edited:
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I think when trying to determine the ages of the Ultimate X-Men, 'how they look' isn't very reliable. Much better to stick to facts derived from expository dialogue, even if they may or may not be inconsistent.

The problem with 'how they look' is each artist can't be buggered to develop a consistent set of age-aesthetic rules. ("Hmmm, for each line I add under the eyes, that's one year! Just so its consistent!") Nevermind the fact that some people just look younger or older than they really are, and I speak from the perspective of a 24-year old who gets mistaken for a 16-year old.

Age evaluation based on looks is already a difficult matter in real life and trying to adopt that in comics is sort of crazy.

ourchair said:
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I think when trying to determine the ages of the Ultimate X-Men, 'how they look' isn't very reliable. Much better to stick to facts derived from expository dialogue, even if they may or may not be inconsistent.

The problem with 'how they look' is each artist can't be buggered to develop a consistent set of age-aesthetic rules. ("Hmmm, for each line I add under the eyes, that's one year! Just so its consistent!") Nevermind the fact that some people just look younger or older than they really are, and I speak from the perspective of a 24-year old who gets mistaken for a 16-year old.

Age evaluation based on looks is already a difficult matter in real life and trying to adopt that in comics is sort of crazy.

I fully agree.

Latest posts

Back